GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best recent (and all time) Anime Movies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/06/11 at 13:49
"possibly impossible"
No, I won't tell you, you tell me!

I'm getting back into Anime after having no time to really watch them for ages. I've obviously got all bar the most recent Ghibli stuff (though only Ponyo on Blu-ray, not sure if the others are worth upgrading to HD for, probably = yes!).

I've just got myself Summer Wars and I've got Evangelion 1.11 (with 2.22 being sent soon). which are amazing versions of the old Anime classic series turned into movies and changed quite a bit in places.

Also collected some older Asian live action stuff like Ichi and Monkey Magic (the remake of Monkey).

What else should I get? Thinking Blu-ray takes precedence over DVD though.
Sun 03/07/11 at 14:50
"possibly impossible"
Well, Eden of the East Bluray (the series on 2 Bluray discs) went down to £6 at The Hut so I snapped that up. Will check out the movie after.

Think that's enough for now.
Fri 01/07/11 at 11:00
"possibly impossible"
I agree that most modern dubs are much better than before. Disney are handling all the Ghibli ones and seem to (mostly) find the right actors to suit the roles. Others have been successful for ages.

Good to see all the English speaking team got back together for the Evangelion movies too, makes all the difference.

Just picked up Sword of the Stranger on Blu-ray in CEX, traded some old DVD movies in for it. Got great reviews.

Still thinking about Eden of the East but might wait a bit for that and see if I can get it through trade-ins too.
Wed 29/06/11 at 22:38
Regular
"eat toast!"
if its any consolation, its only 30 seconds long and then its another theme.

So the great debate of subb vs dubb eh? Tbh whenever i watch anime i watch the dubb mainly because i don't want to focus my attention at the bottom of the screen, when i should be focusing on the characters and whats been shown. The subbs detract my focus on where its important and from the artwork itself.

But that said i'm all for watching decent foreign movies with live actors and subbs there. Additionally, some anime there are japanese words and without some sort of subbed translation the joke or the message is lost (in translation). Lets take the first episode of season 2 of the melancholeny of haruhi suzimiya, all the characters write down their wishes, but its all in japanese and without some sort of translation of the words, we can't determine what was written. Hell, when kyon proclaims that his wishes were better then haruhi's we have to take his word for it, but if we knew that haruhi's wish was to have the world rotate in the opposite direction, we would know why.

Speaking of Dubbs, they have become a lot better over the recent years, ok we still have some TRULY HORRIBLE dubbs but on the whole the decent anime have decent dubbs. Case in point was Baccano! the dubb was carefully looked at and auditions took place for the right people to voice the various characters and people who are nobodies. In fact Baccano! is another fav of mine credit due to the team on that one. If this was back in the 90s or watching crap childrens anime, i would probably prefer subbs to get some distance from it. But after listening to the dubbs, its slightly hard to love the subb.

To finish off, 2 more anime that i enjoyed was Welcome to the NHK and code geass. The latter being a mech show with Britannia as the villians. Some reason i was rooting for them or made it difficult to hate them completely...
Wed 29/06/11 at 18:30
"possibly impossible"
spoonbeast wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]spoonbeast wrote:

Worth watching Eden of the East series then? I've seen it on Bluray for £8.95 on The Hut today.

Its certainly good. Has oasis sing the intro song for the first episode and its certainly of a high quality. The story is interesting enough, the king of eden movie is just a continuation of the story and ends with the second movie.[/i]

The Oasis song might put me off, but I'll not let that distract me.
Wed 29/06/11 at 16:56
Regular
"eat toast!"
pb wrote:
spoonbeast wrote:

Worth watching Eden of the East series then? I've seen it on Bluray for £8.95 on The Hut today.

Its certainly good. Has oasis sing the intro song for the first episode and its certainly of a high quality. The story is interesting enough, the king of eden movie is just a continuation of the story and ends with the second movie.
Wed 29/06/11 at 12:54
"possibly impossible"
spoonbeast wrote:
Anime? ANIME!!!??

*Crashes through window*

Ah yes anime! i can recommend one anime movie that i saw recently which was the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya. If like me, you're a fan of the series, despite endless 8, then you'll enjoy this one. It was pretty entertaining and had some moments that were quite heart felt. Especially when Kyon was asked, do you want to live in a normal world as a opposed to the orginal world he came from.

Cue plenty of time travelling and adventure.

As for other movies? Hmm... well there was Eden of the east: the king of eden. that was pretty good and continues on from just after the original series (which was also good). waiting for someone to dub the second movie please!

Wed 29/06/11 at 10:40
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
spoonbeast wrote:
Hell, the western cartoons looked naff after watching cowboy bebop. Then animecentral came on tv and i was glued to that for sometime. Along with anime network which had azumanga daioh.

Oh Cowboy bebop didn't have a terrible dubb. It was actually DECENT compared to other anime which would be absolutely horrible. Pokemon being a good example.

Ok i have seen one or 2 episodes of DBZ but that was way before cartoon network had it.

Ohhh I remember Anime Central, but it dissapered sometime after. I imagine because of low ratings sadly. Also watched Azumanga Daioh last summer, very good comedy anime!

Do we dare stray toward dub vs. sub? *cough* 4Kids *cough* I think the first 'kiddy' anime myself and a few others saw was the usual Pokemon, Digimon and Hamtaro. Though I'm re-watching the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series (very slowly), with a anime group of mine just for nostalgia reasons.
Tue 28/06/11 at 19:07
Regular
"eat toast!"
HiddenWingz wrote:
spoonbeast wrote:
[i] Planetes is EASILY one of my all time fav anime series along with the legendary cowboy bebop (it was what got me into anime in the first place)

Never got round to watching Cowboy Bebop, it's already in my 'want to watch' list though. First anime I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist, if you ignore the kiddy ones on t.v. R.I.P Fox Kids and Toonami...[/i]

Yes i watched fullmetal alchemist and that was brilliant as well. Did discuss the issues of life and death and coping with loss and the laws of nature.

Cowboy bebop convinced me that Anime had a lot of things to offer in anime primarily it was witty, funny and it wasn't full of sailor moon school girls or mechs (which i absolutely detested at the time. why would you build a mech with human limbs when it would fly like a plane and such? it would have the same flaws as a human would) and it had quite a shocking ending that went against western stuff.

Hell, the western cartoons looked naff after watching cowboy bebop. Then animecentral came on tv and i was glued to that for sometime. Along with anime network which had azumanga daioh.

Oh Cowboy bebop didn't have a terrible dubb. It was actually DECENT compared to other anime which would be absolutely horrible. Pokemon being a good example.

Ok i have seen one or 2 episodes of DBZ but that was way before cartoon network had it.
Tue 28/06/11 at 12:57
"possibly impossible"
For a lot of people in the 80's Battle Of The Planets was their first taste of Anime, although it was heavily disguised thanks to US editing and the inclusion of extra characters to 'make sense' of the story.

At least it introduced me to Gatchaman, the 90's remake of the original Japanese series into a movie being a particularly high point.
Tue 28/06/11 at 11:06
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
spoonbeast wrote:
Planetes is EASILY one of my all time fav anime series along with the legendary cowboy bebop (it was what got me into anime in the first place)

Never got round to watching Cowboy Bebop, it's already in my 'want to watch' list though. First anime I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist, if you ignore the kiddy ones on t.v. R.I.P Fox Kids and Toonami...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.