GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] My beef with Football Manager 2011..."

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Football Manager 2011'.
Sun 29/05/11 at 00:34
Regular
"How Ironic"
You could consider the average modern day football fan as a manager. Everyone who follows the game has their own views on how the game should be played and how their team should perform. Football manager games give fans an opportunity to do this, or the games at least try to.

The problem with Football Manager 2011, and it's predecessors, is that the game solely relies on the computer to process how the game pans out. What I mean by this is that the you can't directly decide what's going to happen during a game, you can affect events, but when it comes down to it, you're not fully in control. Some many say this 'random' factor adds to the game. For me, it doesn't work. There have been numerous times where I've chosen fantastic tactics, bought fantastic players and set everything up for a victory, only for the computer to decide I lose 5-0 for no reason at all. Now of course in real life, underdogs sometimes manage to pull off miracles, but this is a game. There doesn't seem to be a point in playing if the computer decides what will happen anyway.

The game is also not advanced enough for me. This is the year 2011, great things can be achieved with technology. Football Manager obviously doesn't pride itself on graphics, and you'd assume the game would be indepth to make up for this. It's really doesn't though. At first, the press and interactions between players and managers are really impressive, but the repetetive nature of the interactions kills this feature off.

The worst section of the game for me is the training of players. Player development in general seems very weak, with players skills being rated out of 20. You're never aware of any player growth though, you just get updated every so often with a coach telling you some players have trained well.

I just feel Football Manager should offer more than it currently does. I feel it's a genre that's going to be difficult to develop, and really, it doesn't work as a genre. Managing a football team requires skill, but it's a different kind of skill. As I said before, the computer probably has more input into the results of the game than the actual player, and games like that really aren't fun to play. Of course you occassionally get some success, but is that due to the player? Partially, it also requires a bit of luck. I prefer not to depend on luck though. I prefer a more direct, hands-on game.
Sun 29/05/11 at 11:35
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I understand the complaints SC, but they seem more directed at the genre (Management Sims) than the game itself. By the very nature of the game, the majority of it will be micro-simulated, and there really isn't any real ways of increasing player input "realistically". Generally, if you've been losing heavily to teams of lower quality, then you've overlooked something (either something of tactical significance [like playing defensively against Blackpool], or the morale of certain team members).

On the media side: Yeah, it can be a little annoying and repetitive, but it seems better than some of the previous iterations attempts.
Sun 29/05/11 at 00:34
Regular
"How Ironic"
You could consider the average modern day football fan as a manager. Everyone who follows the game has their own views on how the game should be played and how their team should perform. Football manager games give fans an opportunity to do this, or the games at least try to.

The problem with Football Manager 2011, and it's predecessors, is that the game solely relies on the computer to process how the game pans out. What I mean by this is that the you can't directly decide what's going to happen during a game, you can affect events, but when it comes down to it, you're not fully in control. Some many say this 'random' factor adds to the game. For me, it doesn't work. There have been numerous times where I've chosen fantastic tactics, bought fantastic players and set everything up for a victory, only for the computer to decide I lose 5-0 for no reason at all. Now of course in real life, underdogs sometimes manage to pull off miracles, but this is a game. There doesn't seem to be a point in playing if the computer decides what will happen anyway.

The game is also not advanced enough for me. This is the year 2011, great things can be achieved with technology. Football Manager obviously doesn't pride itself on graphics, and you'd assume the game would be indepth to make up for this. It's really doesn't though. At first, the press and interactions between players and managers are really impressive, but the repetetive nature of the interactions kills this feature off.

The worst section of the game for me is the training of players. Player development in general seems very weak, with players skills being rated out of 20. You're never aware of any player growth though, you just get updated every so often with a coach telling you some players have trained well.

I just feel Football Manager should offer more than it currently does. I feel it's a genre that's going to be difficult to develop, and really, it doesn't work as a genre. Managing a football team requires skill, but it's a different kind of skill. As I said before, the computer probably has more input into the results of the game than the actual player, and games like that really aren't fun to play. Of course you occassionally get some success, but is that due to the player? Partially, it also requires a bit of luck. I prefer not to depend on luck though. I prefer a more direct, hands-on game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.