GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] My beef with Football Manager 2011..."

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Football Manager 2011'.
Sun 29/05/11 at 00:34
Regular
"How Ironic"
You could consider the average modern day football fan as a manager. Everyone who follows the game has their own views on how the game should be played and how their team should perform. Football manager games give fans an opportunity to do this, or the games at least try to.

The problem with Football Manager 2011, and it's predecessors, is that the game solely relies on the computer to process how the game pans out. What I mean by this is that the you can't directly decide what's going to happen during a game, you can affect events, but when it comes down to it, you're not fully in control. Some many say this 'random' factor adds to the game. For me, it doesn't work. There have been numerous times where I've chosen fantastic tactics, bought fantastic players and set everything up for a victory, only for the computer to decide I lose 5-0 for no reason at all. Now of course in real life, underdogs sometimes manage to pull off miracles, but this is a game. There doesn't seem to be a point in playing if the computer decides what will happen anyway.

The game is also not advanced enough for me. This is the year 2011, great things can be achieved with technology. Football Manager obviously doesn't pride itself on graphics, and you'd assume the game would be indepth to make up for this. It's really doesn't though. At first, the press and interactions between players and managers are really impressive, but the repetetive nature of the interactions kills this feature off.

The worst section of the game for me is the training of players. Player development in general seems very weak, with players skills being rated out of 20. You're never aware of any player growth though, you just get updated every so often with a coach telling you some players have trained well.

I just feel Football Manager should offer more than it currently does. I feel it's a genre that's going to be difficult to develop, and really, it doesn't work as a genre. Managing a football team requires skill, but it's a different kind of skill. As I said before, the computer probably has more input into the results of the game than the actual player, and games like that really aren't fun to play. Of course you occassionally get some success, but is that due to the player? Partially, it also requires a bit of luck. I prefer not to depend on luck though. I prefer a more direct, hands-on game.
Mon 06/06/11 at 16:37
Regular
"How Ironic"
Uninstalling the game. Officially can't be bothered with such a terrible game. I don't care what anybody says, it sucks big time.

I've replayed Man Utd about 20 times; only drawn twice, losing the other 18 odd. THAT is absolute *explicit language*
Mon 06/06/11 at 15:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
Have continued to replay this Man Utd fixture. They haven't got Giggs or Rooney, and they've still won every game I've played. FM11 is officially being put onto my list of addictive but awful games.
Sun 05/06/11 at 20:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
Away game to Man Utd, the most dreaded fixture of a Liverpool season.

Ended up losing 0-1. Decided to experiment. Have replayed this game 10 times.

Results: 2 draws, 8 losses.

I ask of you, how the deuce is that fair?
Fri 03/06/11 at 19:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
What are you implying Garin...? :P
Fri 03/06/11 at 17:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Did you buy this then, Chris? ;)
Fri 03/06/11 at 14:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm carrying on with the season. To be fair Nasri was the only good player with 3 goals. Will just get Agger to snap him in the Anfield game.
Fri 03/06/11 at 10:19
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
HighflyerVII wrote:
I had the SI forums record for most consecutive league games without a win (28 with Havant and Waterlooville, ..............

Which you then broke by beating Liverpool in the cup?
Thu 02/06/11 at 10:56
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Unfortunately it happens. I should know, I had the SI forums record for most consecutive league games without a win (28 with Havant and Waterlooville, people were amazed i'd managed to stick it out that long without quitting and starting a new game) in FM08. Perhaps somethings changed completely in the latest two iterations in the background, but as of FM09 (I didn't see the point of going to the next one when I still have a game going in 2017) it's not been an issue...
Thu 02/06/11 at 00:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
Just an update, we got a consolation goal at the end.

All that work was so worth it.
Thu 02/06/11 at 00:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well Sports Interactive are really narrowing their audience if they expect every player to spend hours on end before every single match ensuring every single detail is correct, and even this doesn't guarantee victory. It's not like there's a watered down version with less finicky options.

I played the game thoroughly tonight. I'm currently losing 5-0 to Arsenal in the first game of the season after spending all night working through a great preseason, signing some top players, preparing tactics. Morale is currently Superb for the starting 11, nobody is below 95 condition in the lineup, the players are all happy with me. Obviously it's my fault though.

I'm lost for words.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.