GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping a PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 15:22
Regular
i was thinking about getting my soon to be PS2 chipped with the neo 4 chip (soon to be as i'm getting it for xmas) or maybe the messigh chip (think thats spelt wrong?)

anyway anyone here have a chipped PS2 and what are the pros and cons of playing jap and us imports?
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:32
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
There is! They're very expensive, most of the ones I've seen. I though about getting MGS2 imported before it comes out here and it was £74.99!

Might as well wait with that price!
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:35
Regular
"  "
i think vamp wants copied imports....pirate imports arn't illlegal in this country only in the country the original came from
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:48
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
very funny but no i don't want to play copied imports either. and there are places on the web where you can get them cheaper.

there's a shop in lakeside that sells the odd import and they are pricy there's also somewhere in colchester that sells imports so it's normaly shops that charge a lot for em.
i was thinking about getting an import game cube to :)
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:01
"You love us!"
Interesting thread!

First, chipping a PS2 is 100% legal - you'll void your warranty when you open the case to chip the machine, but this doesn't make it illegal!

Second, it doesn't matter where the copied game comes from, it's still illegal! Just because a game is pirated in Japan, doesn't make it legal in this contry. If you own a copied game (or 'back-up' as the Warez guys would have it!) and don't own the original(if you've got the original game and make a copy you can tecnically say the copy is for 'archive perposes') then you are breaking the law - this is illegal, period! So don't do it!

Third, if you buy an import game from somewhere like Computer Exchange or other such 'rip off' import shops then yeah, you are gonna get stung for lots of cash! my local has a copy of Metal Gear 2 for £74.99! However, if you buy the game from an american distributer, through the web, and they are okay with delivering it to the UK you can get games much earlier, but you prolly won't save cash!
Example - a US copy of Metal Gear 2 costs around $49, and postage would prolly cost about $10 to the UK. So for $59 you've got a copy of the game delivered to your house - usually by Fed Ex or similar. $59 = £40. Now thats not cheap for a PS2 game but you are getting it WAY WAY before release in the UK.

However, i've gotta say that i wouldn't bother getting you PS2 chipped - it's simply not worth the hassel. The Neo4 chip requires you to open the console and then solder the 'chip' into the machine - and if you take a look at the Neo4 web site you'll realise that this is an operation that'd make a NASA engineer cringe - V Tough.

Keep your station as it is, keep your warranty and wait for the games to be released in the UK. Lot easier and lots less hassel!

Just my 2p worth :-)
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:07
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
hey that's my phrase

just my 1p's worth :)
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:11
"You love us!"
Well it looks like a just outbid you for the phrase! Your was 1p's worth, mine was 2p's worth! :-)
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The_King is totally right... except for one thing...

Although imports are dearer than uk games when going through an importer, if you happen to travel to the US lots (or Japan), or even have friends over there, then games are far, far cheaper.

On top of that, you can get new releases before they come out here (sometimes a few months before), the games run faster (60Hz instead of our slower 50), and you can play loads of games that don't come out over here.

Of course, you don't HAVE to play imported games just because you have a chip... u can still buy UK games... so you can get the best of both worlds.

Chipping: V.v.v.v. good if you are a very serious Otaku-like gamer. Waste of money if you are not.

NOT ILLEGAL.

Sonic
Wed 12/12/01 at 19:50
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
The Neo 4 Chip would be way to difficult for you to fit unless you are something like a highly qualified engineer. The chip itself has about 35 wires or something that you have to solder onto delicate parts inside your PS2.

The only easy option would be to have it fitted, but if you send it off to a qualified Neo 4 fitter (the only way of making sure they don't wreck your nice PS2) It works out at about £100 or something stupid.

Its not worth it. Just enjoy all the games that are coming out in the UK at the moment, like SSX Tricky, GTA3, Thps3 and so on. You can't be saying there isn't enough choice here can you?
Wed 12/12/01 at 20:32
Regular
TomUK wrote:
> The Neo 4 Chip would be way to difficult for you to fit unless you are something like a highly qualified engineer.

The solder points on your ps2 motherboard are about the size if very small full stops this makes soldering difficult, but (I'm not an engineer, but I found it very easy), use a fine point soldering iron with low temp solder.
Thu 13/12/01 at 18:08
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Why would you want to run the risk? Surely it's in your better interests not to bother, and if completely neccessary wait until a cartridge or some such 'extra' is released.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.