GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony PS3 [SLIM] - lost HDMI connection [RESOLVEDish]"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/04/11 at 09:00
"Are you sure?"
Hi Gamers!

Yesterday my son's PS3 lost it's HDMI connection. Was working fine then the next time he went to use it "no HDMI signal".

We've tried a different HDMI cable with the same results.

We've also tried using a different TV - on this one the HDMI connection showed a lot of green static/artefacts but still didn't work.

Re-cabling using the composite cable worked so the PS3 isn't totally fried!

Google shows lots of people have seen similar issues.
Some suggest holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so until a bleep is heard to reset the video - no change for us.

Others report performing formats/factory resets etc. have worked.

Before investigating anymore I thought I would ask Freeola's PS3 experts for their advice :¬)

Thanks in advance
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 20/04/11 at 09:00
"Are you sure?"
Hi Gamers!

Yesterday my son's PS3 lost it's HDMI connection. Was working fine then the next time he went to use it "no HDMI signal".

We've tried a different HDMI cable with the same results.

We've also tried using a different TV - on this one the HDMI connection showed a lot of green static/artefacts but still didn't work.

Re-cabling using the composite cable worked so the PS3 isn't totally fried!

Google shows lots of people have seen similar issues.
Some suggest holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so until a bleep is heard to reset the video - no change for us.

Others report performing formats/factory resets etc. have worked.

Before investigating anymore I thought I would ask Freeola's PS3 experts for their advice :¬)

Thanks in advance
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 20/04/11 at 09:57
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
The video settings reset worked for me when I had a similar issue.

Most of the other HDMI issues I have had have been either a green or purple overlay over the picture. I've generally found that to be a problem with the cable itself rather than the console.

But, by what you're reporting, it sounds more like a problem with the HDMI port itself, which is annoying.
Wed 20/04/11 at 10:54
"possibly impossible"
You've done pretty much everything I'd suggest already.

How old is the machine? Sony are pretty good at replacing them very fast if they're in warranty. Outside of warranty they offer the same service, but it costs. However, I've had personal experience of a nice Sony helpline person letting me do my PS2 for free just outside of warranty.
Wed 20/04/11 at 10:57
Regular
I would also recommend holding the power button down. You need to do this when switching between HDMI and Composite etc. I've had to hold it for a lot longer than 5 seconds though before to get it to work, something like 20 seconds, just keep holding it til it works basically.

Hopefully this might work for you.
Wed 20/04/11 at 11:13
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for all the replies :¬)

Still no luck I'm afraid.

I've been doing more searching and this appears to be a fairly common issue.

It looks like the simple video reset only works if you've just lost your video connection because the box has got confused or been used via another connection on another TV etc. and needs a kick.

Looks like buying the component cable (5 plugs) rather than the composite lead we're now using will improve the situation but it's still not HDMI :¬(

I found an HDMI to DVI converter and gave that a try.
Mostly the green static display but the Playstation options are there and just readable - not sure what that proves apart from it looks like the HDMI port on the PS3 is to blame?

Still might go for a 'hard reset/format' to see if that helps - but it's all clutching at straws really...

The PS3 is about 1 1/2 years old - how long is the Sony warranty?
EDIT: Looks like it's a 1 year warranty.

On the plus side our house is *much* quieter ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 22/04/11 at 12:29
"Are you sure?"
Latest update:

After much reading of Sony PS3 'green screen problems', 'black screen', HDMI Port lost, HDMI signal lost, etc. etc. I've had a bit of a result!

There seem to be many variations of this problem (loss of HDMI output) some are just down to silly things like people not selecting the correct TV/Monitor source and others getting lost between changing from HDMI to Composite/scart etc. which is simply fixed by holding the power button from standby to 'wake up'/reset the video connection.

A few people have reported that a full disk format/hard reset has worked for them - but lots of others have said they have tried this and it failed. Others have sent their PS3s back to Sony for them to 'fix' the HDMI port if they are still covered by a warranty or if they pay for the repair.

I've also seen some people reporting that they've lost their HDMI connection after applying the latest Sony PS3 firmware updates or patches. This makes it sound like a software issue but unfortunately non of the threads I've read go on to say they've fixed it by performing a factory reset etc.

So overall the picture is pretty fuzzy (pun intended!).

After trying all the normal, swapping HDMI leads, different TV/Monitor etc. I've found that by downgrading the HD resolution from 1080p to 1080i the HDMI connection now works! :¬)

We did this by using the standard Sony supplied AV/scart lead (holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so from standby until a bleep is heard). This allows you to access the PS3 and change the System Settings - Using the 'Custom' settings and selecting all resolutions apart from 1080p. Sony Video Settings Help
If 1080p is checked/selected then the HDMI signal is lost again.

So I'm not sure why/how 1080p has started to cause a problem when it's been working for well over a year - but this seems the best (no cost) solution for us at the moment.

After all of this the Sony PSN service is suffering a major global outage - but there's nothing I can do about that ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 22/04/11 at 14:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Isn't this what 'dad's' are for Hmmm.....well sorted....your standing in the Dad's Community has just risen ha ha :¬)
Fri 22/04/11 at 15:01
"Are you sure?"
PS3 : Parent Son 3 :¬P

Hopefully this thread will help other people that have the same PS3 HDMI output problems...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 22/04/11 at 15:08
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
ha ha :¬D
Sun 30/10/11 at 11:55
Regular
hi this is nothing to do with your query can you tell me what freeola is like for online gaming the speed ping times and jitter i dont even have a ps3 i have an xbox its just that you was the only one on with a console cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.