GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Car Insurance - what a pain!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/01/11 at 11:25
"Are you sure?"
Blimey getting car insurance sorted is a right pain!

I've been with NFU Mutual for ages (8+ years) - I have two cars (Land Rover Discovery and Land Rover Freelander) and my home and contents are insured with them.

Never had a claim on cars or house - so in theory I'm an ideal customer - just pay the premiums and that's it.

This month my car insurance renewal came through - it's gone up 73% !!!

I contacted NFU to see if there had been a 'typo', but before I could explain what my query was about they launched into a script about how all insurers have put up their premiums due to insurance fraud rising etc. etc. etc. - I had to politely cut him off half way through his spiel!

So as NFU Mutual seem to have lost the plot I'll be taking my custom elsewhere this year. So for the first time in a long while I'm having to get quotes etc.
I REALLY HATE all the TV insurance advertising so I'm not enjoying this!

By getting online quotes (not through a compare site) I've managed to find some that are similar prices to what I paid last year so guess I'll be going for one on those.

SPAM Tip: Always use a 'throwaway' email address when getting quotes especially if you use a 'comparison' site.

The problem is who to choose?
Searching online for 'so and so car insurance review' brings up so called 'review' sites where it appears they are ALL TO BE AVOIDED. So not much use. All this tells me is they all appear to be rubbish if/when you actually need the insurance so perhaps you may as well go for the cheapest price anyway?!

I've found that The AA, Tesco and Admiral have come out best price wise at the moment.

I'm just venting really as I'm not enjoying this task and I've wasting too much time over it - this isn't helping! ;¬)

I thought I would post this in General Chat just in case someone has an interesting view on things.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 25/01/11 at 18:49
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I'm with First Central car insurance and they seem to be really good so far, and relatively cheap in comparison to other insurers.

I wouldn't recommend More Than though. "Courtesy car within 2 hours" I had my accident 3 years ago and I'm still waiting on one!
Tue 25/01/11 at 14:56
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
My fiance is with Diamond and they try and put the insurance up every damn year. She has managed to argue them into keeping it the same (with me sitting in on the call obviously :D) for the last 2 years, but it's just a joke these days. Only industry where you are punished for staying with the same company.

Their excuses can go do one in my opinion. How is more or less forcing people to bounce around providers going to help the industry wide fraud 0_o Grrrrrrrrrrr..............

I don't really claim to understand why they do it, and don't really care. I just don't like them.........

Back on subject though Hmmm... you could just ring up Diamond and call yourself Mrs. Hmmm... You may get a better deal ?
Tue 25/01/11 at 14:30
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Hey Hmmm,

I've had home, car, breakdown ins via Direct line in the past and managed to get fairly significant discounts the more products I had with them, so it might be worth a look.....

Sadly after the second year they weren't that competitive on home ins so I moved on. Still worth a try though.
Tue 25/01/11 at 13:16
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the Quidco tip I hadn't thought of that!

In my case my past NFU premiums have always been about right - the massive hike this year isn't because they are hitting old customers more, something else has happened.

In the past sticking with NFU worked well - as they are a 'mutual' you always got some money back etc.

Both new and existing customers are being quoted 'out of this world' figures. Talking to a couple of NFU Agents it seems their Motor side has gone "bananas"!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 25/01/11 at 12:41
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yeah pb's tip about switch each year is a good one. Never stay with the same insurer more than a year, this includes buildings and contents insurance.
I did a quick quote on the car we have now with the same insurer but pretending to be a new customer and the price had gone up 22%.
Tesco's seem to win for us on replacement cars we are looking at. They undercut most other quotes by several £100.
Using Quidco last year we got £50 cashback and free AA roadside assistance and the premium was £350ish.
Tue 25/01/11 at 11:33
"possibly impossible"
Whatever you do, go through Quidco first. I got £75 back through them (took 3 months to get the money, but I can wait!).

Every car insurer puts their prices up if you want to stay with them. They rely on people being lazy and renewing rather than looking elsewhere and filling in new forms.

Strangely, I put my wife on my insurance last year, even though she has no plans on driving my car, and the price quoted by most insurance companies went down rather than up!

This year I'm with Sainsburys and it cost me about £400, that's a lot lower than I would have got with stay at Barclays. However, I get my breakdown assistance as part of my bank account so can take that off.
Tue 25/01/11 at 11:25
"Are you sure?"
Blimey getting car insurance sorted is a right pain!

I've been with NFU Mutual for ages (8+ years) - I have two cars (Land Rover Discovery and Land Rover Freelander) and my home and contents are insured with them.

Never had a claim on cars or house - so in theory I'm an ideal customer - just pay the premiums and that's it.

This month my car insurance renewal came through - it's gone up 73% !!!

I contacted NFU to see if there had been a 'typo', but before I could explain what my query was about they launched into a script about how all insurers have put up their premiums due to insurance fraud rising etc. etc. etc. - I had to politely cut him off half way through his spiel!

So as NFU Mutual seem to have lost the plot I'll be taking my custom elsewhere this year. So for the first time in a long while I'm having to get quotes etc.
I REALLY HATE all the TV insurance advertising so I'm not enjoying this!

By getting online quotes (not through a compare site) I've managed to find some that are similar prices to what I paid last year so guess I'll be going for one on those.

SPAM Tip: Always use a 'throwaway' email address when getting quotes especially if you use a 'comparison' site.

The problem is who to choose?
Searching online for 'so and so car insurance review' brings up so called 'review' sites where it appears they are ALL TO BE AVOIDED. So not much use. All this tells me is they all appear to be rubbish if/when you actually need the insurance so perhaps you may as well go for the cheapest price anyway?!

I've found that The AA, Tesco and Admiral have come out best price wise at the moment.

I'm just venting really as I'm not enjoying this task and I've wasting too much time over it - this isn't helping! ;¬)

I thought I would post this in General Chat just in case someone has an interesting view on things.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.