GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Car Insurance - what a pain!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/01/11 at 11:25
"Are you sure?"
Blimey getting car insurance sorted is a right pain!

I've been with NFU Mutual for ages (8+ years) - I have two cars (Land Rover Discovery and Land Rover Freelander) and my home and contents are insured with them.

Never had a claim on cars or house - so in theory I'm an ideal customer - just pay the premiums and that's it.

This month my car insurance renewal came through - it's gone up 73% !!!

I contacted NFU to see if there had been a 'typo', but before I could explain what my query was about they launched into a script about how all insurers have put up their premiums due to insurance fraud rising etc. etc. etc. - I had to politely cut him off half way through his spiel!

So as NFU Mutual seem to have lost the plot I'll be taking my custom elsewhere this year. So for the first time in a long while I'm having to get quotes etc.
I REALLY HATE all the TV insurance advertising so I'm not enjoying this!

By getting online quotes (not through a compare site) I've managed to find some that are similar prices to what I paid last year so guess I'll be going for one on those.

SPAM Tip: Always use a 'throwaway' email address when getting quotes especially if you use a 'comparison' site.

The problem is who to choose?
Searching online for 'so and so car insurance review' brings up so called 'review' sites where it appears they are ALL TO BE AVOIDED. So not much use. All this tells me is they all appear to be rubbish if/when you actually need the insurance so perhaps you may as well go for the cheapest price anyway?!

I've found that The AA, Tesco and Admiral have come out best price wise at the moment.

I'm just venting really as I'm not enjoying this task and I've wasting too much time over it - this isn't helping! ;¬)

I thought I would post this in General Chat just in case someone has an interesting view on things.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 23/03/11 at 09:49
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Shame that replacing a car that's been crushed to continue driving without insurance is less expensive than the insurance itself ¬_¬
Wed 23/03/11 at 09:08
"Are you sure?"
It's certainly not a good time to start driving!

BBC article: Salford teenager describes £33k car insurance shock

The AA (who my son used for instruction) quoted over £10,000 for us (mind you I think it included free breakdown cover worth £47!!!).

The boy in the BBC video still might have a shock - I've tried getting quotes for when my son reaches 18 in case it made a big difference - the quotes were about the same!

Something, somewhere will have to give eventually else there will only be a small percentage of young drivers actually taking out insurance! Via local police, I hear they are stopping (and car crushing) the same people regularly for driving without any cover :¬(

EDIT: If they 'crushed' the drivers I think it would do us all a favour!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 22/03/11 at 15:13
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Well, there's a good reason that I sit here today, having had my driving license for nearly 3 years now, and have not driven since my driving test. Although, I had some amusing quotes from back then

Fiat Punto (old, smaller version) Insurance band 2-4 - TPFT £81,294 per year

Ferrari *something* 8.1L Turbo petrol engine Insurance Band 18-20 - FC £5,000 per year

...I didn't manage to convince my dad that the Ferrari was economically viable considering, unfortunately.
Tue 22/03/11 at 14:32
"Are you sure?"
TPFT still seems to be the cheapest way to go (as far as I can tell).

I-Kube
They fit a GPS device so you can't drive between 2300-0500.
Quote = £5000+ ! :¬(
He couldn't see why it was so much either!?
The only thing he could think of is that I'm in a nice area but not far out of London so that's why it was so much.

There can't be many more frustrating experiences (I don't get out much) than filling online quote after online quote forms only to get a *computer says no* message (technical problem/can't quote online, etc.) right at the end of the process! WAH!!!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 21/03/11 at 19:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Didn't think that TPFT was still a viable/financially beneficial option for 'young' drivers?
Mon 21/03/11 at 19:21
"Are you sure?"
Numnut wrote:
I'm presuming these quotes are for fully comp and not TPFT?

*CRYING*!

TPFT :¬(

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 21/03/11 at 19:20
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Third Party is often more expensive now for new drivers than Fully Comp. This is because some insurers see young drivers with TPFT costing them more as there are more young drivers with this type of insurance having large claims. Young drivers with Fully Comp generally have newer shinier cars and statistically drive more cautiously and have fewer/smaller accidents and so cost insurance companies less.
Mon 21/03/11 at 19:10
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I'm presuming these quotes are for fully comp and not TPFT?

Maybe it would be worth sticking with the lower cover for a few years and letting your son build up some NCB of his own and then upping the level of cover......

If those quotes were for TPFT then I would still be crying!
Mon 21/03/11 at 19:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Seems to be 'swings and roundabouts' with all car insurance quotes at the moment. All I can add is that mine rose by £20 from last year for the year....and I wasn't going to argue with that :¬)
Mon 21/03/11 at 18:55
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
Just for info...

Someone else recommended Hastings - they were over £5000 :¬(
Spoke to a nice helpful chap though.

Best tip seems to be to grow old - not recommended though ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.