GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Searchable Databases????"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/12/01 at 20:14
Regular
or summat like that??

I would like to know how to make a website searchable so I could put a search box on it....or even better, a members page or something like that.

But the Search thing is more important. Because I would like to know so I can put it on...in say a month. As I will soon have lots more things on my website.

So is it something to do with sorting them into folders or on Excel???

Can someone please help me out??
Thu 06/12/01 at 20:14
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
or summat like that??

I would like to know how to make a website searchable so I could put a search box on it....or even better, a members page or something like that.

But the Search thing is more important. Because I would like to know so I can put it on...in say a month. As I will soon have lots more things on my website.

So is it something to do with sorting them into folders or on Excel???

Can someone please help me out??
Thu 06/12/01 at 20:22
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I would think that javascript would be needed for that. I don't know a lot about webpage creation but It does sound like a problem that requires a program to do it like java.
Thu 06/12/01 at 23:53
Regular
""
I've got some code that'll do the job written in javascript. You just have a long list of keywords that appear on each page and an input box. When you type a word into the input box, it'll search through the lists of keywords and return the pages. No databases, just arrays of keywords.

ie.

pageX.htm
pageY.htm
pageZ.htm

searching for 'sql' will return pageX.htm and pageY.htm

Is that the sort of thing you mean?
Mail me at
[email protected]
and I can send you an example
Fri 07/12/01 at 09:09
The javascript solution looks good, does it work in most browsers?

As for searching an actual database, if you want a quick example in ASP, go here...

http://www.asp101.com/samples/db_search.asp

Gives you an example + you can download the code. I suspect if you are using a Freeola account for this that you will not be able to use ASP as they seem to be PHP based.
Fri 07/12/01 at 22:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
ARGH! DON'T EVEN MENTION JAVASCRIPT!

Get yourself over to phpbuilder.com or search Google for free PHP scripts and you should find something that's just what you want. I used to use something very groovy and exactly what you want, but because I can't access my Windows drives right now I can't tell you. When I get Linux Xfree86 installed and configured I'll get back to you.
Wed 12/12/01 at 21:15
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Sorry I tok so long to reply!

I will try the first suggestion using Javascript otherwise will try the other php/asp ones!

Thanx
Wed 12/12/01 at 21:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
STOP SLAGING OFF JAVASCRIPT!!!
Sat 15/12/01 at 11:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
monkey_man wrote:
> STOP SLAGING OFF JAVASCRIPT!!!

No, really, JavaScript has its uses I admit but do you have any idea how resource sucking a JavaScript DATABASE would be? Not to mention the fact that some people browse with js turned off, leaving the site useless.
Mon 17/12/01 at 13:08
Regular
""
JS is by far quicker than searching a database. actually.
Mon 17/12/01 at 13:16
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Not to mention the fact that some people browse
> with js turned off, leaving the site useless.

Now is that dependant on whether it's client side ot sever side?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.