GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to save the forums..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/07 at 09:00
Regular
"8==="
Bandwagon Jumping!

* Create a Big Brother forum and get it high on Google.

* Create a temporary discussion forum about a popular news event in an attempt to grab the BBC HYS-style of poster.

* Do a deal with a decent search engine and put it on your lead page in an attempt to get users to make you their homepage.

* Bring back the news thing you used to do with amusing spins on various news.

* Chuck up some celebrity rubbish - that always brings in people to chat.

If you want the forums to bring people in and actually be a decent marketing addition to your site then this is the rather unfortunate turn you have to take.

However there are other good things to promote alongside this:

* Writing/poetry competitions

* Most hilarious news item of the day competition

* Best bargain of the day competiton

etc

The point is there are a 1000 ways to get in some more hits from those looking to chat about current topics and win amazon/argos vouchers but you're not attempting them and the forums are dying on their a**e.

Above all these ideas won't amount to anything without high search results and a little bit of sly marketing (email or otherwise) but using the obvious tricks (calling pictures 'Big Brother'/'other' over and over for instance) it shouldn't be a problem.

Worth a go I think.
Thu 07/06/07 at 22:17
Regular
"Mooching around"
Everyone use MySpace Bulletins! =D
Thu 07/06/07 at 19:25
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Machie wrote:
> Yeah I remember that. If Freeola weren't so strict about new
> forums and needing 3 moderators I would have created an anime
> forum, social bookmarking forum (for all those weird links I
> find), a 'PC, Internet & Webdesign' forum and a Big Brother
> forum that would last for the duration of BB.

Well, if you need three moderators, get some together; I'll gladly moderate on any new forums if it's what's needed to get people posting here.

In terms of promoting the site, that's harder; I've no real ideas, and posting links on other forums is a pretty idiotic one.
Wed 06/06/07 at 12:30
Regular
A fairly simply solution could be to just make the link to the forums more obvious on the freeola homepage.

I remember when I decided to come back and check out how to forums were doing, before Christmas, and it took me a while to find them. And I was looking for them.

There must be a huge number of people looking at the freeola homepage each day. Make an eye-catching link to the chat forums, and we'll get more members.
Tue 05/06/07 at 23:23
Regular
We all know it's uncool to be numero uno poster.
Tue 05/06/07 at 21:51
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Hedfix wrote:
> Top 10 posters and posts in the last 30 days:
>
> 1 Machie 620
> 2 Nin 512
> 3 Biggie Little Jr... 375
> 4 Alfonse 286
> 5 pb 266
> 6 Vee 216
> 7 Kawada 158
> 8 Chaos 147
> 9 Grandprix 125
> 10 Smedders 114
>
> -----------------------
>
> 13 downwards have under 100 posts in the last 30 days.
>
> This is a set of forums regularly posted on by about 10 people.
>
> Dying? Yes, ever so slightly.

Don't think i'll be in the top ten for very long, I just made a flurry of posts as i'd been away for a while.

I remember when Forest Fan used to have 4000+ posts a month to his 'credit'.
Tue 05/06/07 at 21:34
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hedfix wrote:
> * Create a Big Brother forum and get it high on Google.

Can't say I haven't met Freeola half way ^_^
Tue 05/06/07 at 16:17
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
My posting depends on how busy I am at work and at home.

At the minute I'm busy in both so am around about 100 for the last 30 days but a few months when work was slack and I had more free time at home I was over 1000.
Tue 05/06/07 at 15:43
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Funnily enough, I'm about at the level of posting that I've always have been. I don't think I've ever been over 300 posts in 30 days and most of the time I hover around 150.
Tue 05/06/07 at 13:45
"possibly impossible"
Stories, yes. I'm waiting for entries to the short story competition.

And that means you too, all of you who've never entered before or even written a story in your lives, why not give it a try?

The subject is Midnight, which is pretty broad.
Tue 05/06/07 at 11:31
Regular
We were use to getting 2000 posts a day. But then most of that was chit chat. I'd like to see lots of discussions, articles and stories etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.