GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to save the forums..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/07 at 09:00
Regular
"8==="
Bandwagon Jumping!

* Create a Big Brother forum and get it high on Google.

* Create a temporary discussion forum about a popular news event in an attempt to grab the BBC HYS-style of poster.

* Do a deal with a decent search engine and put it on your lead page in an attempt to get users to make you their homepage.

* Bring back the news thing you used to do with amusing spins on various news.

* Chuck up some celebrity rubbish - that always brings in people to chat.

If you want the forums to bring people in and actually be a decent marketing addition to your site then this is the rather unfortunate turn you have to take.

However there are other good things to promote alongside this:

* Writing/poetry competitions

* Most hilarious news item of the day competition

* Best bargain of the day competiton

etc

The point is there are a 1000 ways to get in some more hits from those looking to chat about current topics and win amazon/argos vouchers but you're not attempting them and the forums are dying on their a**e.

Above all these ideas won't amount to anything without high search results and a little bit of sly marketing (email or otherwise) but using the obvious tricks (calling pictures 'Big Brother'/'other' over and over for instance) it shouldn't be a problem.

Worth a go I think.
Tue 05/06/07 at 11:25
Regular
"8==="
Possibly but a bit of bandwagon jumping might help.

"Best post on Big Brother each week wins £30 of Amazon vouchers"

"I can win £30 just for talking about what I'd be talking about on another set of forums anyway? Sold!"
Tue 05/06/07 at 11:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I thought the daily posting count was pretty healthy compared to what it used to be actually? Not been paying attention to it though.

I'm not sure GAD is the draw it used to be though. Earning money on the internet is pretty common now and I think theres better places to do it which benefit the user and the site owners more.
Tue 05/06/07 at 11:05
Regular
You post on their snake? I think I'm still registered but I got several bad ratings because I voiced my disappointment with some of the Weebl and Bob episodes lol

A Dr Who forum? That'd be fun ^^
Tue 05/06/07 at 11:00
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
If the forums go down, I think a good forum is the"Weebl stuff" forum. It has avatars etc. but the posters are high quality. I myself have posted there more than here he past 2 weeks.
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:56
"possibly impossible"
*cough* Doctor Who forum *cough*
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:36
Regular
Yeah I remember that. If Freeola weren't so strict about new forums and needing 3 moderators I would have created an anime forum, social bookmarking forum (for all those weird links I find), a 'PC, Internet & Webdesign' forum and a Big Brother forum that would last for the duration of BB.

If you got me all those then I can easily find you a hundred new regulars without any problem at all, especially anime fans wanting to win GAD so they can buy more anime/manga =)
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:32
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
pb wrote:
> Oh well, if it dies can we all go back to yours? (forum, that
> is :D)

I wouldnt mind you all here for a live chat lol...

buy yeah my forums always there for those who want to use it.
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:26
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Machie wrote:
> Actually a few years ago I did suggest a Big Brother forum. I
> mean come on, who wouldnt want a few hundred people posting
> 1000s of messages in a Big Brother forum.
>
> Give the people what they want and then encourage them to join
> the rest of the community. =P

It's not a bad idea. On SR it seemed to work when they made dedicated forums to new games such as Vice City and then they would take them down after a few months and quite a few users stuck around after that I think.
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:26
Regular
Silent Thunder wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> Summer is here, so it'll mean fewer people online posting.
>
> Then again you do get people on holiday who have free time, get
> bored and search for such places as this, maybe?

Maybe but I doubt it.

It's not just Freeola, all communities get slower over the summer. It happened last year and the year before. You cant really blame them, who wants to stay inside when the weather is so good. Even Smedlos would rather have a BBQ than chat to us lot =(
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:24
Regular
There are no EGADs anymore, infact we only got Bingo after we complained that there were no EGADs. So don't think complaining doesnt work. =)

Actually a few years ago I did suggest a Big Brother forum. I mean come on, who wouldnt want a few hundred people posting 1000s of messages in a Big Brother forum.

Give the people what they want and then encourage them to join the rest of the community. =P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.