GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to save the forums..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/07 at 09:00
Regular
"8==="
Bandwagon Jumping!

* Create a Big Brother forum and get it high on Google.

* Create a temporary discussion forum about a popular news event in an attempt to grab the BBC HYS-style of poster.

* Do a deal with a decent search engine and put it on your lead page in an attempt to get users to make you their homepage.

* Bring back the news thing you used to do with amusing spins on various news.

* Chuck up some celebrity rubbish - that always brings in people to chat.

If you want the forums to bring people in and actually be a decent marketing addition to your site then this is the rather unfortunate turn you have to take.

However there are other good things to promote alongside this:

* Writing/poetry competitions

* Most hilarious news item of the day competition

* Best bargain of the day competiton

etc

The point is there are a 1000 ways to get in some more hits from those looking to chat about current topics and win amazon/argos vouchers but you're not attempting them and the forums are dying on their a**e.

Above all these ideas won't amount to anything without high search results and a little bit of sly marketing (email or otherwise) but using the obvious tricks (calling pictures 'Big Brother'/'other' over and over for instance) it shouldn't be a problem.

Worth a go I think.
Mon 25/06/07 at 14:49
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Well 437 posts in the last 24 hours is pretty good. :)
Mon 25/06/07 at 14:45
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tony wrote:
> The Bingo games, which were suggested by a forum member, were
> initiated specifically to try to build up interest in the
> forums. You can see that quite a bit of effort has gone into
> this.

Has the effort paid off?
As you can see theres certainly a perception among some forum members that traffic is slowing, would be interested to know if thats really true.
Mon 25/06/07 at 11:23
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
The Bingo games, which were suggested by a forum member, were initiated specifically to try to build up interest in the forums. You can see that quite a bit of effort has gone into this.

Unfortunately Google will not allow any adverts for Bingo, whether its gambling, free bingo or whatever, so we don't have a cheap way to promote it.

But it's a nice little addition for the time being.
Sun 24/06/07 at 20:38
Regular
I'd hardly call scrolling down slightly and clicking the link saying "Win free games", hard to get to. Okay it's not linked in the manner you'd expect, but to be honest the forums aren't overly relevant to Freeola except for the odd bit of technical support.
Sun 24/06/07 at 20:18
"LOLLERSKATES!"
That's correct, but judging by the difficulty in getting to this site from Freeolas site, and the lack of members we've had since SR liquidated, I doubt we get that many.
Sun 24/06/07 at 20:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Biggie Little Jr. wrote:
> 'Frightning' off new visitors is irrelvant, because there are no
> new visitors.

You dont know that, you're just guessing. Unless Freeola choose to tell us we dont know how many visitors this forum gets. For all we know, lots of people might find the forum and just decide not to post.
Sun 24/06/07 at 19:49
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Except Sunflower...
Sun 24/06/07 at 19:26
Regular
"I may return"
Biggie Little Jr. wrote:
> 'Frightning' off new visitors is irrelvant, because there are no
> new visitors. Pretty much everyone who posts on here has been on
> here since Special Reserve folded.

*Feels proud to be different*
Sun 24/06/07 at 19:20
"LOLLERSKATES!"
'Frightning' off new visitors is irrelvant, because there are no new visitors. Pretty much everyone who posts on here has been on here since Special Reserve folded.
Sun 24/06/07 at 19:17
Regular
"I may return"
I've only just decided to read this thread.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.