GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kinect - Your Thoughts"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/11/10 at 11:53
"possibly impossible"
I've now played Kinect, playing Kinect sports courtesy of my local GAME's manager who got sent one by MS.

It's a lot better than I was expecting after all the lag issues at game shows and indifference by some people who previously played demo pods at the shows.

The bowling in particular is even more accessible than the one in Wii Sports, so easy that my 6 year old found it easy on the first go.

Anyway, has anyone else either played this or pre-ordered for release? I'm now thinking of ordering one for when the next batch come in.
Wed 10/11/10 at 14:43
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Not new, pb. But fairly good condition used ones (I don't think i'd be too bothered about going used with the Wii, they have much less problems than say a 360) i've seen for between £65 and £80. And as a single player player myself, the extra controllers aren't a necessity. Different people just have different demands/needs, I guess.
Wed 10/11/10 at 14:28
"possibly impossible"
To be fair the people who want all their games to be shooter or RPG based won't care. Well, Apart from when Steel battalion, Forza Motorsport 4, Haunt, Kinect Star Wars, Project Draco and UFC...

Anyone who wants to play games with their family and have some fun that doesn't involve killing people, guns or swords might.

I'll post my initial impressions after I've had enough of a go. After having played Wii Sports and Resort to death and playing Sports Champions on Move until my shoulders ached I think a comparison between these and Kinect Sports will be easy.

and a new Wii for £75? Where from? Don't forget extra controllers for each player.
Wed 10/11/10 at 10:55
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Ah, Kinect. I've not really seen anything that interests me about it yet, it looks incredibly gimmicky and the amount of space required far surpasses that I have in either of my rooms (and I have a similar problem with Move, to be honest). I can see the games far surpassing the quality that was available on the EyeToy, yet being either less fun or far easier to compensate for "controller differences" between people and spaces.

Besides, for £120? I could get a Wii and have £55 left over to spend on MotionPlus etc. (not to mention the fact that i'd also need to buy a 360 for Kinect but that's beside the point :P )
Wed 10/11/10 at 09:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
I've no interest in it myself,looks little more than the Eye Toy 2 to me.Also think it's extremely expensive for what it is.
Wed 10/11/10 at 08:55
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
pb wrote:

Apart from all the people who've ensured its sold out everywhere for launch...

Looking at the posts after this it appears that I was indeed correct. No one really cares (at least from this select group of users). There are too many "gimick" features to make it an absolute buy.

And don't throw that logic at me pb, I thought you would realise or agree actually.
"It's an Xbox fanboi sellout! It must be good........."

Next they'll be telling me that the iPad is the best invention ever created, because of the demand when it went on sale. Or any Mac product.

Small note here, I am getting a Kinect myself :S It will give me a reason to play my Xbox.
Tue 09/11/10 at 18:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
Suppose if I experienced it, I'd be very keen to get one, but there are 2 reasons that are putting me off purchasing one. Number one is that amount of space required to fully utilise the Kinect's potential, and the second is the lifespan of the 'gimick'. I found within a month of having a Wii, despite playing it often, I wasn't so impressed with the control system.
Tue 09/11/10 at 16:54
Regular
I got interested in this, but on rteading reviews following the US launch it seems as though the technology is there, but most of the launch games are poo.

Just dance, and that EA fitness seem to work the best, but neither of those genres particularly appeal.

I felt a bits stung by the Wii, which I still own, but hardly use, so am a bit more way this time round. I think I'll keep an eye on it, and when (if?) that killer game comes along, I'll probably get it.

I get the feeling I'm not the only "wait and see" type gamer in relation to this, either.
Tue 09/11/10 at 15:27
Regular
"And in last place.."
I don't have the space needed for Kinect to start with but ignoring that, I don't see it having anything other than some novelty games to play with my daughter. I don't see it replacing a control pad for the sorts of games I like playing. I saw the tech demo of Burnout Paradise working with Kinect and I think it would be awful compared to a control pad.
Tue 09/11/10 at 14:31
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Personally this doesn't interest me in the slightest (even if I still owned my 360). When playing games I like to feel like I am in control, through the use of a controller of handset, standing in-front of a camera, waving my arms around just feels wrong to me.
Mon 08/11/10 at 16:27
"possibly impossible"
Warhunt wrote:
I think this summarises the general consensus about this product. No one really cares :S
)

Apart from all the people who've ensured its sold out everywhere for launch...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.