GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WRC - do NOT buy this game!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
Fair play, this game is a load of tosh, and here's why:

1. The handling is totally unrealistic, not a scratch on Colin McRae.
2. You reach top speed far too quickly (even with long gear ratio), and when at top speed, it feels too slow.
3. Loading times are laughable. Longest on PS2 for sure.
4. Tracks fairly bland (didn't get to try any forest stages).
5. The game is simply not fun.

In it's defence:
1. Nice car models (and excellent driver face mapping).
2. Consistently smooth framerate (although with only one car on the road, this should be expected).

NOTE: I haven't tried the multiplayer mode, and obviously can't comment on it.
NOTE 2: Only played it for about 30 minutes at a mate's house. Maybe the game grows on you?

Hope this helps!
Tue 04/12/01 at 13:23
Regular
"size does matter"
Ginger

I was thinking of doing it, ain't sure though, cause I have a little bit low self-esteem... I'm afraid others would be much better and so it wouldn't be fun for me. However I went through the given three stages, 6.30 on the first go, but I'm afraid that real pros can cut like 10 or more secs off of that easily. I'll try again tonight and post the time here (no promise though, its a busy week at work:))).
Tue 04/12/01 at 08:59
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Diplomat (and anyone else)
Will you be taking part in the "Challenge" in January?, just wondered what the best times were for the three stage licence test. I managed a 6min 36secs first go, haven't tried again since, need some practice before competition starts, any times/feedback would be very welcome.

Ta
Mon 03/12/01 at 23:17
Regular
"size does matter"
1. Handling is not too bad, getting used to it won`t take that long. Have you ever driven a rally car to say that it is unrealistic?

2. Top speed is reached too fast, I agree, also it doesn`t seem to be fast, ok. Even though its not all that easy to go through the stage on full throttle:)

3. Loading time is long, ok, but I dont care. If I were in a hurry, I wouldn`t play.

4. Tracks are all right, some are a little boring, but overall good.

5. Not fun... a matter of taste.

6. What really sucks is the lack of depth (service areas and stuff).

7. There is some slowdown in some cases. But overall, its good.

All in all, I enjoy this game a lot. It is challenging (even though its not hard to beat the computer, I still get to beat my own times;), and I find it beautiful. I do realize the problems with this game, but what else is on the market - come on, GT3 rally is a joke (dont get me wrong, its visually great, but no real rally), just doing the same couple of stages over and over...

And finally again, I hate the argument over crappy handling - learn to drive, people!!!
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:00
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Blockbuster also has SSX Tricky for £35 (special offer) I'm gonna buy it when i have the money.

SR, feel free to delete this message!!
Mon 03/12/01 at 18:34
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Well I saw WRC for £29.99 in my local Blockbusters last night,and today I went out and bought it. I think it is a very decent game even though yhje handling isnt brilliant (but it aint as rubbish as people say). There are loads of things to unlock and there is also a competition you can take part in. I wouldnt pay £40 for it but for £30 I thought it wasnt that bad. Another good game in my collection then.....
Mon 03/12/01 at 14:48
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
letsstartariot wrote:

>My main point was when i was in tesco yesterday, there was >a guy behind me in the queue about to buy WRC. I was about
>to tell him that it was crap and he should save his money >or buy something else, but he told me to hurry up in the >queue, so i let him buy it and suffer!!!

LOL!!! Nice move, hope he realises the error of his ways later :)
Mon 03/12/01 at 13:23
Burnout in a weekend!! Thats pretty inpressive, ive been playing a weekend now and i dont think im near finishing...

My main point was when i was in tesco yesterday, there was a guy behind me in the queue about to buy WRC. I was about to tell him that it was crap and he should save his money or buy something else, but he told me to hurry up in the queue, so i let him buy it and suffer!!!
Mon 03/12/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Thanks to your comments about WRC, I was going to order this cos it looked like it was going to be a great game. Now I'm gonna save £40 and spend it on something else.

G1NGER wrote
>I had Burnout and finished it in a weekend, thought the replay value was next to zero

I was gonna get this game as well but if you finished it in a weekend then....well thats just cr*p! I like my games to last a bit longer than 48 hours!

Thanks again guys, £80 saved.
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:38
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I admit, the game doesn't seem wonderful after GT3, have any of you thought that racing games will never be the same again, our expectations are now sky high and NO racing games can meet them.
I had Burnout and finished it in a weekend, thought the replay value was next to zero.
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:58
Regular
"Touched!"
I was very disappointed with the nadling of the cars, it looks good but it doesn't play welll at all, if the handling was better i would have considered buying this, shame.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.