GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WRC - do NOT buy this game!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
Fair play, this game is a load of tosh, and here's why:

1. The handling is totally unrealistic, not a scratch on Colin McRae.
2. You reach top speed far too quickly (even with long gear ratio), and when at top speed, it feels too slow.
3. Loading times are laughable. Longest on PS2 for sure.
4. Tracks fairly bland (didn't get to try any forest stages).
5. The game is simply not fun.

In it's defence:
1. Nice car models (and excellent driver face mapping).
2. Consistently smooth framerate (although with only one car on the road, this should be expected).

NOTE: I haven't tried the multiplayer mode, and obviously can't comment on it.
NOTE 2: Only played it for about 30 minutes at a mate's house. Maybe the game grows on you?

Hope this helps!
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:25
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I've had something similar, I have noticed gearing selection can make a massive difference on some splits/stages (you obviously lose the advantage on others).

You can make up say seven seconds on a split mainly consisting of straights but then lose out slightly because your long gearing is not suited to the twisty bits.
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:18
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Diplomat, you know when you damage your car them red signs light up? Like when the handling goes wobbly, the wheel sign lits up? Anyway that happened to me almost staright away on one stage in France so my car was going slow and I could barely handle the car, but I suddenly saw that I was 5 seconds clear!!!!! In the end I finished 6th 12 seconds behind the leader
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:18
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Your right, at least with Colin McRae you could skip to the next rally if all was lost - not very realistic though!

I am starting a new thread for WRC, please have a look.
Wed 05/12/01 at 22:04
Regular
"size does matter"
G1NGER
I haven`t registered yet, but maybe I will. Btw, same thing here, two wins out of first two stages in professional mode...

But I actually like it a lot that sometimes the countdown of 3 seconds is cut off, because it`s much more realistic to be out for some time, instead of being back on track in three seconds after having flown over the edge into emptiness.

I wish it was possible to retire! The closest I`ve been to that has been some really severe crashes in the beginning of the stage, so I had to go through the rest with a burning engine and wheels into different directions:)))

TRIPLE_H
6.42 is good enough to participate in the challenge, so don`t worry. After all, I bet there are hundreds of people who are not able to make 6.42...
Wed 05/12/01 at 20:17
Regular
"You Bum!!"
G1NGER wrote:

PS have you registered at wrc.com yet ?

I am going t do that when I have time.. I need to get more practice on the license test first...My best time is only 6:42..I know its poor but I am too busy with Tricky to play WRC a lot
Wed 05/12/01 at 16:56
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Unlocked a bonus stage and a "secret" by winning first two rounds on professional, difficulty on this level is nearer the mark. The only annoyance I have with the game is when it does not put you back on the track after three seconds and you are stuck in no mans land for upto 10/15 seconds.
Will try to improve my licence test time tonight.
PS have you registered at wrc.com yet ?
Wed 05/12/01 at 10:28
Regular
"size does matter"
Well, I took another go at the licence test, this time it was 6:25.04. A couple of secs off of that won't be a problem though.

It is sad that many people don't like this game, I recognize the reasons (and have to agree with several of them), but ... it is the only real rally game on the market. And its not that bad after all. Of course, being a rallyfan, I'm a bit biased:)
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:34
Regular
"size does matter"
I`ll be damned! I got 136 points in normal mode with subaru! And fair enough, didn`t win the GB... Guess we`re on the same track in many senses:)

Well, unfortunately no time to play today, maybe tomorrow.
Tue 04/12/01 at 16:47
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I have been taking part in many GT3 challenges and usually finish in the top 40%, some of these guys must spend all their time on these challenges!
The WRC challenge however will only let you select manual/auto gears, everything else is determined for you so it gives an even playing field (when was the last time you altered your TOE in or out on GT3???)

Would like to compare some times though, I have just completed on Normal setting-in a Focus, won every Rally except GB, 136pts out of 140 not bad going eh!, will start on Professional tonight, still have not unlocked any bonus stages, they must all be unlocked when you win Pro Rallys.

Pick a couple of stages and post some times and I wll let you know my best times.

G1NGER
Tue 04/12/01 at 13:24
Regular
"size does matter"
Sry,

G1NGER

There, now I got it right;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.