GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Bad Thought In My Head..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
While browsing through the Gameaday site, something came to my attention. With Nintendo's decision to move from their favoured cartridge format to itty bitty discs as far as the upcoming Gamecube is concerned, they say that they are getting far more support from third party developers. Is it just me, or could this be bad news for the Gamecube?

The reason that the PlayStation is so popular (although, how a console THAT dodgy could brainwash THAT many people is beyond me) is because it's easy to produce games for, and this accounts for the hundreds of dodgy, way below par games that flood the PlayStation. Developers can just fob people off with inept games based on popular franchises. Could this happen on the Gamecube? If it's as easy to develop for as Nintendo say it is, we could be if for a deluge of PlayStation style games that combine shoddy execution with a popular TV show, movie etc, which would result in Nintendo's catalogue of games morphing into a clone of the PlayStation's library of disappointing, sub-standard tosh.

And if that doesn't scare you, think of the games that fit one, if not all, of the criteria that I have mentioned and pray to God that the likes of the following games NEVER make it to the Gamecube.

Simpsons' Wrestling
Tomb Raider
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Although, the extra (and frankly, previously scarse) third party support, take a look at the half-decent possible games that could grace the 'Cube with their presence.

Grand Theft Auto 3
Half Life
Quake 3 Arena
Red Faction

So the previously missed support of third party developers seems to have mixed results for Ninty's 'Cube doesn't it?
Sat 01/12/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> I wonder if this 'chipping' thing will happen with the PS2??? But they've
> probably done something to the games and console so you can't.

Did you
> know.....you didn't neccesarily need a chip to play import/copied games!! You
> could jam the lid open with a biro and the disc would bypass and checks and
> stuff, and wouldn't detect a disc in there or something??

But this copying
> business can' happen to the brilliant GameCube!! There are laws on the disc that
> prevent them from being copied! WOO-HOO!!!

erm...... you can already chip the PS2! I don't even think you have to chip it though. I think there's something which you can just plug in the USB port which by-passes all the security checks. But I don't have a PS2 so I don't know if it works. LOL! But going that I know people who know people who can get copies of PS2 games for a fiver, I guess it can be done!

:)
Sat 01/12/01 at 19:47
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Cookys' input:-

Playstation, made by Sony. How many games did Sony make? hmmmm..... I don't know. Not many anyways! I think they made Gran Turismo didn't they?

N64, made by Nintendo. How many games did Nintendo make? LOADs! And they were all GREAT!

What am I getting at?

Well what i'm getting at is that with Sony's Playstation there wasn't really anything for games companies to compete with. Be compared to. Why? Cos "most" of the Playstation games were S***E!

But with the N64, if you were going to release a platformer, you had to think, "K, i'm gonna make a platformer. There's already Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. K! If I want my game to sell I'm gonna have to make it as good as those! narrr fek it! I'll just make some low standard pish of release it on Playstation were millions of MUPPETS will lap it up!"

The same will happen on Gamecube! Nintendo, Rare and all the other first n second party developers will bring out games which are really good. And then, if another developer thinks about making a game similar in style, then it will know that it's gonna have to be good! Otherwise no one will buy it and will just stick with the GREAT games that are already available!

Thus the Gamecube hopefully should stay clear of the millions of low standard pish that some developers spew out, and that sorta stuff will stay on the Playstation!

:)
Sat 01/12/01 at 18:29
Regular
"Remember me?"
I'm totally against chipping consoles.

Whenever someone buys a pirate copy of a game, the company who developed the game loses money. If this continues for too long, then the games developers will not have enough money left to actually develop any new games.

So even though games usually cost WAAAAAAAAAYY too much, it's best to pay the full price, or you'll pay the price of not having any more games in the future.

HA! If that doesn't fix my moral status, nothing will!
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I wonder if this 'chipping' thing will happen with the PS2??? But they've probably done something to the games and console so you can't.

Did you know.....you didn't neccesarily need a chip to play import/copied games!! You could jam the lid open with a biro and the disc would bypass and checks and stuff, and wouldn't detect a disc in there or something??

But this copying business can' happen to the brilliant GameCube!! There are laws on the disc that prevent them from being copied! WOO-HOO!!!
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:17
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Crash Bandicoot
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo (if that's the way it's spelt!)
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:15
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well, maybe I mis-phrased that a little bit.

They aren't really babyish, but they are SO DAMN crap!

I hate them!
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Remember me?"
Twain......TOMB RAIDER SUCKS. And, I admit that I forgot about the Grand Theft Auto games on the PSOne, which are all BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRILLIANT.
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:12
Regular
"Remember me?"
Twain wrote:

The reason I got it in the
> first place was because I can't stand babyish games. I was going to get a GC,
> but, because it is littered with crap like Pokémon and Zelda games, I
> decided it's time for a change and got a PS2.

WHAT? You honestly think that the Zelda games are babyish? You're insane. The Zelda games have provided me with some of the best moments ever spent while playing videogames. And the Gamecube might be swamped with games for younger players, but when it comes down to which is best....the Gamecube will kick the PS2 into orbit.
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:11
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Of course, I MIGHT recocider if some less-babyish games come out.
Sat 01/12/01 at 16:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm very sure that the PSX sold loads, only because of the number of cheap, impoted, copied discs you could get, once you'd had the console 'chipped' for a cheap price. And this is what at least 85% of all PSX owners must have done!!

I agree, there's no way a console like that could sell millions world-wide any other way, unless of course, the mafia were involved! And each 'chip' inside the PS console must have sent out brain-washing waves to all owners!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.