GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Bad Thought In My Head..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
While browsing through the Gameaday site, something came to my attention. With Nintendo's decision to move from their favoured cartridge format to itty bitty discs as far as the upcoming Gamecube is concerned, they say that they are getting far more support from third party developers. Is it just me, or could this be bad news for the Gamecube?

The reason that the PlayStation is so popular (although, how a console THAT dodgy could brainwash THAT many people is beyond me) is because it's easy to produce games for, and this accounts for the hundreds of dodgy, way below par games that flood the PlayStation. Developers can just fob people off with inept games based on popular franchises. Could this happen on the Gamecube? If it's as easy to develop for as Nintendo say it is, we could be if for a deluge of PlayStation style games that combine shoddy execution with a popular TV show, movie etc, which would result in Nintendo's catalogue of games morphing into a clone of the PlayStation's library of disappointing, sub-standard tosh.

And if that doesn't scare you, think of the games that fit one, if not all, of the criteria that I have mentioned and pray to God that the likes of the following games NEVER make it to the Gamecube.

Simpsons' Wrestling
Tomb Raider
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Although, the extra (and frankly, previously scarse) third party support, take a look at the half-decent possible games that could grace the 'Cube with their presence.

Grand Theft Auto 3
Half Life
Quake 3 Arena
Red Faction

So the previously missed support of third party developers seems to have mixed results for Ninty's 'Cube doesn't it?
Sun 02/12/01 at 15:01
Regular
Even if there are countless rubbish 3rd party games on the gube, there'll still be pleanty of good ones too, and i'm sure we'll all be able to wade through the censored to get to the good stuff.
Let the casuals have their movie conversions and tomb raiders, there'll be better stuff to buy too.
Sun 02/12/01 at 12:05
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Sibs wrote:
> Oh, and GTA series were probably better on PC. Never
> played on PSX tho. Oh, does anyone agree that GTA is better than GTA2?

It is in it's own little ways, but, by other means of looking at it, it's worse.
Sun 02/12/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
*Sibs conviscates Twain's Nintendo pass, and hands it to Tiltawhirl, who swiftly tears it up*
Sun 02/12/01 at 11:47
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
tILTAWHIRL wROTE:

Tomb Raider sucked especially hard on the PS1, as for the
> original GTA's i'd much rather play thewm on the PC, better graphics and better
> controls.

I agree with Tipsy-Tilta (sorry about that, I'll stop now...) Tomb Raider is absolute. All the sequels were the same with slightly different levels, a few different baddies, maybe a new weapon or two, and bigger breasts. The puzzles were simply crap. 'find the switch'. that was what all the puzzles consisted of. The platforming sections weren't exactly imaginative either.

Oh, and GTA series were probably better on PC. Never played on PSX tho. Oh, does anyone agree that GTA is better than GTA2?
Sun 02/12/01 at 11:02
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
lol @ Wierd Wonder
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:49
Regular
""
Good point. I'm a Ninty forever person but I do like other consoles it's good to experiment. I've always liked Ninty brand games and Rare games. My fist game I got was Donkey kong 1 on the GB and the last game I got was Zelda Oracle of Seasons on the GBC.

=B0p
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:48
Regular
Twain wrote:
That's why I got a PS2, because
> the GC was littered with babyish games.

Yep as I thought he's been brainwashed by Sony.
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:46
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Because I've been a Ninty nearly all my life, only recently started playing PS2 stuff, because I thought I'd like a change, as well as the fact that I hate babyish games like Pokgaymon, or cartoony, but not necessrily babyish games liek BK or Pikmin, that will be coming out on GC.

That's why I got a PS2, because the GC was littered with babyish games.

I might reconsider getting a GC if some better games come out in the future.
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:41
Regular
Twain wrote:
> Well, maybe I mis-phrased that a little bit.

They aren't really babyish, but
> they are SO DAMN crap!

I hate them!

Oh god, looks like Sonys brainwashed him as well, i'm not even gonna attempt to write a decent reply to this.

Twain if Sony's so good why you come on the Nintendo forum?
Sun 02/12/01 at 10:39
Regular
Twain wrote:
> Dark Mark wrote:
> But apart from the likes of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, how
> many decent
> games for the PlayStation can you say that you've
> played?

Not many:
GTA
GTA 2
GTA London
GTA 3
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider sucked especially hard on the PS1, as for the original GTA's i'd much rather play thewm on the PC, better graphics and better controls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.