GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Bad Thought In My Head..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
While browsing through the Gameaday site, something came to my attention. With Nintendo's decision to move from their favoured cartridge format to itty bitty discs as far as the upcoming Gamecube is concerned, they say that they are getting far more support from third party developers. Is it just me, or could this be bad news for the Gamecube?

The reason that the PlayStation is so popular (although, how a console THAT dodgy could brainwash THAT many people is beyond me) is because it's easy to produce games for, and this accounts for the hundreds of dodgy, way below par games that flood the PlayStation. Developers can just fob people off with inept games based on popular franchises. Could this happen on the Gamecube? If it's as easy to develop for as Nintendo say it is, we could be if for a deluge of PlayStation style games that combine shoddy execution with a popular TV show, movie etc, which would result in Nintendo's catalogue of games morphing into a clone of the PlayStation's library of disappointing, sub-standard tosh.

And if that doesn't scare you, think of the games that fit one, if not all, of the criteria that I have mentioned and pray to God that the likes of the following games NEVER make it to the Gamecube.

Simpsons' Wrestling
Tomb Raider
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Although, the extra (and frankly, previously scarse) third party support, take a look at the half-decent possible games that could grace the 'Cube with their presence.

Grand Theft Auto 3
Half Life
Quake 3 Arena
Red Faction

So the previously missed support of third party developers seems to have mixed results for Ninty's 'Cube doesn't it?
Tue 04/12/01 at 20:43
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Cyclone wrote:
> Twain, what in hell are you talking about?

Zelda is crap is it? No, its
> note better than Crash, Solid Snake and chums - -fo course not - could even
> most PS2 developers match the ideals and finnesse of Zelda - NO!

Crash
> Bandicoot is a poor mans Mario, and GTA is on PC - Any exclusoive PS game is
> exclusive as either sony own the company, or it is crap (personaly I hate the GT
> series - a simple re-hash of an old idea- drive a car around a few times in as
> fast a time as possible!) Yes, Mario is re-hashed sometimes, but at least
> Nintendo do not make 'Crap' games - Pokemon may have caught on with kids, but
> that does not mean it is a rubbish game - it is very good.

Look at Digimon -
> a blatant rip off of Pokemon, and the PS has it - that must mean its
> babyish!!!!!!!!! (give me a break!)

We're entitled to our own opinions aren't we?

You like Zelda and games like that, I don't. End of story.
Mon 03/12/01 at 21:55
Regular
True.
Though you could say that rush, for example, is different because of its angle.
Then again, you could say that any game has an 'angle' really...
Mon 03/12/01 at 20:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I do not hate all racing games - on the '64 I have Rush 2049, and F1 WGP, and I play Rush far more as it is fun, actualy requires a lot of time to get good, and looks amazing - GGT3 may look better, but it is just the same as the first two, and Rush has mad loopy shortcuts, crazy jumps, and mad battles - It is fun, as it is not rrealistic - who wants to recreate the driving of a car?

Who wants to recreate the driving of a car in the future, with a huge loop going through 2 skyscrapers, and out over a huge lake, in a car that has wings?
Mon 03/12/01 at 20:27
Regular
GT is boring. It's got no sense of danger, the emotion that makes the real life sport so apealing and exciting.

As for third party support.

We still get the class Nintendo games as well as the cream of decent third party titles and although there will be plenty of crap too, we don't HAVE to buy it. :-)
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:43
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
(personaly I hate the GT
> series - a simple re-hash of an old idea- drive a car around a few times in as
> fast a time as possible)

Ie, you hate half of all the racing games ever created?
Personally, most racers do bore me after a little while, unless they have an angle, like road rash or destruction derby, but as racing games go, i'd say GT's as good as anything else in the same mold.
Mon 03/12/01 at 19:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Cyclone wrote:
> Twain, what in hell are you talking about?

Zelda is crap is it? No, its
> note better than Crash, Solid Snake and chums - -fo course not - could even
> most PS2 developers match the ideals and finnesse of Zelda - NO!

I agree!!! Zelda is THE GREATEST RPG game ever created, on any format!!! Especially on the N64!! And despite it's graphical appearence, it'll still be a great game to play on the Cube!!!
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:58
Regular
"Linux and Unix Rule"
Tom's Thoery of the day:
even if the gamecube becomes infested with crapy gaystaion like games; won't they just serve draw in all the brain - washed campers who own greystaions? who will swander the're pocket money and berger king grease covered wagers on pixel-ised poostaion resebleing games, which can only be a good thing as far as ninty is concerned, the more money nintendo make the more money they have to spend on making true ninten-droid fullly textured (NO!! PIXELS!! OR F-ing POLIGONS!!!!)games i.e another golden eye? to smash any other first person out of the water! As proved by the fact that crapostaion STILL cant handle a desent first person shooter!
infact the only thing that 'wenickallourideasfromninty-sation and the crapy x-box the some how resimbles bill's head, can do is play FMV!!!

And what about sega, i have resently become a fan as they, as am sure you know, are joining forces with ninty; and by the look of there games...they should also bring some welcome custom to the gam cube. can't wait until that one where your a japan-ise dood working at the dock yard comes out (as seen on Thumb Bandits formaly known as BITs)

Quote:

While browsing through the Gameaday site, something came to my attention. With Nintendo's decision to move from their favoured cartridge format to itty bitty discs as far as the upcoming Gamecube is concerned, they say that they are getting far more support from third party developers. Is it just me, or could this be bad news for the Gamecube?

The reason that the PlayStation is so popular (although, how a console THAT dodgy could brainwash THAT many people is beyond me) is because it's easy to produce games for, and this accounts for the hundreds of dodgy, way below par games that flood the PlayStation. Developers can just fob people off with inept games based on popular franchises. Could this happen on the Gamecube? If it's as easy to develop for as Nintendo say it is, we could be if for a deluge of PlayStation style games that combine shoddy execution with a popular TV show, movie etc, which would result in Nintendo's catalogue of games morphing into a clone of the PlayStation's library of disappointing, sub-standard tosh.

And if that doesn't scare you, think of the games that fit one, if not all, of the criteria that I have mentioned and pray to God that the likes of the following games NEVER make it to the Gamecube.

Simpsons' Wrestling
Tomb Raider
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Although, the extra (and frankly, previously scarse) third party support, take a look at the half-decent possible games that could grace the 'Cube with their presence.

Grand Theft Auto 3
Half Life
Quake 3 Arena
Red Faction

So the previously missed support of third party developers seems to have mixed results for Ninty's 'Cube doesn't it?
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Is that sarcastic or truth?

;-)
Sun 02/12/01 at 17:36
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
go cyclone , go cyclone .. ;-)
Sun 02/12/01 at 15:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Twain, what in hell are you talking about?

Zelda is crap is it? No, its note better than Crash, Solid Snake and chums - -fo course not - could even most PS2 developers match the ideals and finnesse of Zelda - NO!

Crash Bandicoot is a poor mans Mario, and GTA is on PC - Any exclusoive PS game is exclusive as either sony own the company, or it is crap (personaly I hate the GT series - a simple re-hash of an old idea- drive a car around a few times in as fast a time as possible!) Yes, Mario is re-hashed sometimes, but at least Nintendo do not make 'Crap' games - Pokemon may have caught on with kids, but that does not mean it is a rubbish game - it is very good.

Look at Digimon - a blatant rip off of Pokemon, and the PS has it - that must mean its babyish!!!!!!!!! (give me a break!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.