GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"3DTV is it really the future ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/10/10 at 12:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
My friend (who I might add has a lot more money than I do) has recently spent well over £2000 on a 50'' 3D Plasma TV and 3D Blu Ray player as he is convinced this format is going to be massive.I've seen it in action and its quite impressive but I couldn't really be bothered with it TBH.I also don't fancy having to wear glasses in order to watch TV either.I'll be interested to see what it adds to Call Of Duty : Black Ops though as that is the first gaming title to support this format.There are currently hardly any 3D Blu Ray titles available either and those which are cost a fortune.Do people on here think this format is going to take off massively in the future or do you think its just a fad that people will quickly get tired of ?.I have also heard reports of people getting headaches from prolonged viewing of this format.For those of us who do think its amazing is not worth waiting to see if the format does take off before investing in it ? or perhaps even wait for a TV to be released that can display 3D without the use of glasses ? (if that is this possible).
Thu 28/10/10 at 12:20
"possibly impossible"
That's why you have to have lots of pairs of glasses. 3DTV can support a fair number of glasses at the same time and there are bulk packs available. Passive and Active both work and the passive ones are cheaper, though not quite as good.

3DTV without the glasses has a way to go before we see it on big home TVs.

The issues are:

The viewing Angle - With a 3DS you only get the illusion of 3D straight on, at any slight deviation it fails.

The Cost - Glasses-less 3D is a reality for screens, Samsung recently showed off a 20" model. It has to come with a huge stand and costs a load of money. Obviously costs will come down but it will be the same as the difference between HD and Super-HD with release and affordability.

Take Up - 3D with glasses is available now. If 3D TVs are slowly replacing the top end HD TVs then they will seep into homes. Obviously you can watch normal 2D TV on the 3DTVs too and they tend to have all the latest features as 3D requires the best possible picture to work properly. The Glasses-less TVs won't be in UK stores until at least 5-10 years time.

At the end of the day, only time and sales will tell if home 3D is successful. Blu-ray had the same issues with many saying it wouldn't sell because it's not all that different to upscaled SD. Obviously it is for all newer films but older titles are dependent on the original source material being good enough, and it's not age that restricts it either. Some 1960's titles filmed on high quality film that is even greater resolution than HD look fantastic on Blu-ray where as some 80's films filmed on cheaper equipment don't.
Thu 28/10/10 at 12:05
Tv without glasses are possible , just think of the new ds , 3ds
Thu 28/10/10 at 12:03
3d tv are good, but when friends and family come to your house
they cant see what is happening on the tv because it will be blurred
Thu 28/10/10 at 09:24
"possibly impossible"
It's the same as the cinema, if you wear glasses they just fit neatly over them, I wear glasses and i've had no problems with cinema or TV 3D glasses. In fact it's probably less of am issue because you wear glasses as it doesn't feel all that much different.
Thu 28/10/10 at 07:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Torino wrote:
I've not that long gotten into the whole HD scene believe it or not. I won't even be considering 3D for another few years yet.

How are people that need to watch TV with glasses going to get the benefit of 3D if they have to take them off to wear the 3D glasses? Won't be long till Specsavers have prescription 3D glasses in......lol.

Regarding the HD scene,some stuff looks and sounds simply fantastic on Blu Ray (especially if you have HD audio) but other stuff simply isn't worth shelling out extra for IMO.The Blu Ray versions of some older films (examples : Robocop,Dirty Dancing) look sod all different to a decent upscaled DVD.As well as decent standalone Blu Ray Player I also own the rather fantastic Oppo 983HD DVD player and some DVD's really don't look that much different to a Blu Ray when viewed on that.Sure,if you sit 2 foot from the TV you can see a difference but from the 8ft away I sit from my TV the difference is not huge on some titles.Saying that I have just ordered the Blu Ray of Disney's Beauty & The Beast after seeing my friends US copy a few weeks back,its a stunning transfer of a classic film.

Good point on the glasses thing though.How exactly is this going to work for people who normally wear glasses to watch TV ?,will they need to wear 3D glasses over their normal glasses ? :S

Aside from the financial investment,I reckon having to wear glasses to watch 3D will be a reason a lot of people will not bother with it TBH.
Thu 28/10/10 at 01:07
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I've not that long gotten into the whole HD scene believe it or not. I won't even be considering 3D for another few years yet.

How are people that need to watch TV with glasses going to get the benefit of 3D if they have to take them off to wear the 3D glasses? Won't be long till Specsavers have prescription 3D glasses in......lol.
Mon 25/10/10 at 16:07
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:

This is where 3D is different because:
a) it's not a case of it taking off, it's there and with Sky and film companies supporting it the format is not going anywhere
b) 3DTVs tend to also be very high class 2D TVs, in fact there isn't that much of a difference in the cost of a 3D to a 2D TV with the same spec.

The format is not going anywhere ?,maybe,maybe not.At the moment there are not many studios producing 3D discs although this will of course change dramatically if they start selling.However if they do not sell then even these studio's will drop the format like a bad habit,just like they did with Laserdisc and HD-DVD.Having viewed the format I was far from blown away by it,it was OK but I can definitely live without it.In fact I'm bored of 3D films in the cinema TBH,haven't seen any film I felt was dramatically improved by it (I hated Avatar BTW).

Regarding the cost difference between a high end 2D panel and it's 3D counterpart my friends TV cost a whopping £785 more for the 3D version although this did come with 2 pairs of glasses which would normally have cost about £100 each.High end plasma TV's are generally more expensive than their LCD and Blacklit LED/LCD counterparts as they cost more to produce,but even so that seems a hefty premium to me.If you have a family of more than 2 people then you obviously need to buy extra glasses.If you already own a decent HDTV then to upgrade seems very expensive indeed to me,especially for something which may or may not be around in a couple of years time.
Mon 25/10/10 at 15:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The only way it will ever take off is if the price is reduced to that of a normal TV, in much the way HD has done.
I remain thoroughly unconvinced with the whole idea. It's been around for near 60 years and has never been anything more than a passing fad, and that was when it only cost the price of a cinema ticket. Eventually people will get bored again and while I don't think it'll go away this time, I think most people will simply stop using it for 99% of programmes.
Mon 25/10/10 at 14:29
"possibly impossible"
gr13ve wrote:

There's also the chance that I could shell out on one and then it doesn't take off, made that mistake with an HDDVD player and although that didn't break the bank I was still peeved off.

This is where 3D is different because:
a) it's not a case of it taking off, it's there and with Sky and film companies supporting it the format is not going anywhere
b) 3DTVs tend to also be very high class 2D TVs, in fact there isn't that much of a difference in the cost of a 3D to a 2D TV with the same spec.
Mon 25/10/10 at 14:09
Regular
"hulagadoo"
pete_21 wrote:
or perhaps even wait for a TV to be released that can display 3D without the use of glasses ? (if that is this possible).

Toshiba have shown a 3dtv without the need for glasses. Apparently it comes with a very limited viewing angle though which will be useless for me (in my living room anyway) as the tv has to sit in a corner. I'm still tempted the wallmount it though. I'll probably end up getting one but I'll wait until the price lowers, I've only just recently got an HDTV so I don't feel the need to rush out and grab it.

There's also the chance that I could shell out on one and then it doesn't take off, made that mistake with an HDDVD player and although that didn't break the bank I was still peeved off.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.