GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why did you buy your last Gaming Magazine?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/11/01 at 09:08
Regular
When you could have just have easily looked up the information you needed from a website?

Most magazines have the same layout, they always start with an editorial where the editor says things like "The office has been quiet, except for the sound of button bashing from the monkeys because we've got HUNDREDS of EXLUSIVE games sent to us for review this issue!!!!!!"

We don't really need to know that, do we?

Then there's the gossip section, the US/JAP news section, the previews, the reviews, the charts, and then a bunch of rubbish at the back, all of which you could just as easily find on the World Wide Web. Except on the WWW it wouldn't all be a month out of date.

I think the only reason, in truth, that we buy the gamer magazines is for the DVD stuck to the front of it, with all those nice demos on it. I mean £3.49-£3.99 for the DVD alone may be considered pretty good value considering what you get with most of them.

I think in future that the publishers should just release the DVD stuck to a piece of cardboard, rather than stuck to a glossy magazine with pretty pictures, the purpose of which seems to ram the writers' opinions down your throat because 'they know best'.
Thu 29/11/01 at 12:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Well, I don't think I could sleep with my PC whirring in the background, but if
> it's not in your room, yeah.

lol... how loud is your PC?
Thu 29/11/01 at 13:09
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Nuts to all of you. Can you access the internet on the toilet? Or on a train? Or anywhere where you aren't connected to a PC? No, you can't. I buy magazines because I read them, I like the writing, it doesn't matter if I've already read it on the web. You can pick up a mag and read something in about 5 seconds, where it can take minutes to connect ot the web, wait for the page to load, blah blah. Magazines rule.
Thu 29/11/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Nuts to all of you. Can you access the internet on the toilet? Or on a train?
> Or anywhere where you aren't connected to a PC? No, you can't. I buy magazines
> because I read them, I like the writing, it doesn't matter if I've already read
> it on the web. You can pick up a mag and read something in about 5 seconds,
> where it can take minutes to connect ot the web, wait for the page to load, blah
> blah. Magazines rule.

Are you mental?
Thu 29/11/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I bought my last gaming mag because I wanted the demo disk. I only had GT3 for my PS2 at that time.
Thu 29/11/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I get most of my magazines sent over to me because I don't want to buy any american games magazines because they tend to be too expensive. I like to know what games are being released back home. Its also difficult to find reliable sites where as magazines cannot withdraw a story after delivery and so have to try to maintain their credibility by not filling their pages with rumour and speculation.
Thu 29/11/01 at 19:08
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I bought my last gaming magazine (Cube) for the video.

Unfortunately, the video was absolutely crap and the voice over man could have done with a right good errr....nunchakuing. :-D

The magazine itself was pretty poor too and nothing on NGC. I'm back to that next month.

Hopefully, it'll say something about that Panasonic GameCube compo as well. I entered that with a Hybrid Heaven poster/trailer/cast list.

*crosses fingers*

If I win that, all my problems with PS2 and GameCube and which one to buy will go away. And I can get myself a PS2. Then I'll have both. Ahhhhh...
Thu 29/11/01 at 19:30
Regular
"smile, it's free"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Hey Venom byte, i buy NOM, but it's on subscription and I get it out of
> tradition. It's changed. I remember issue 1. It was new and different. Then a
> year of 5 ago I got it on subscrip. I also get PCZ and the occasional Edge.

On the basis that you've bought Egde, and you've read NOM since issue 1, I'll forgive you on this occasion. NOM started off pretty well (anyone's free GB keyring still work?)

I subscribed to NOM a couple years ago. After about three months I realised I'd spent my money on the most feeble excuse for gaming journalism ever known to man. I spend the next nine months disecting exaclty what it was I hated about the mag... but I'm not going to start on that now.

NOM is for kids, and 'tards.

I have respect for the following mags:

Edge, Arcade, CVG, and most PC mags.
Thu 29/11/01 at 19:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
The last mag I bought was OPSM2, the main reason being it had detailed reviews of SmackDown 3 and GTA3, as well as a demo DVD which looked very interesting (Time Crisis 2, NBA Street etc.)

I don't usually buy magazines though, it was just a one off.
Thu 29/11/01 at 21:28
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The last I bought was PCGAMER, the chrimbo edition one, with Return to Castle Wolfenstein on it (video), and a copy of Cossacks:Art of War, AND it didn't need the original Cossacks game...which is good because my Cossacks game is broken...for some reason.

But I did read most of the magazine...plus there seemed to be a 50 odd page Special Reserve Advert in there to!!
Thu 29/11/01 at 22:06
Regular
"always swirling"
i normaly get the opm.
because its got some good topics, some slightly insane editors.

and every mag has one hell of an amazing demo disk with 7 long playable demos and snip its from movies and games to come.

(plus i have a paper round and get them free from the owner of the corner shop)

but thats beside the point

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.