GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why did you buy your last Gaming Magazine?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/11/01 at 09:08
Regular
When you could have just have easily looked up the information you needed from a website?

Most magazines have the same layout, they always start with an editorial where the editor says things like "The office has been quiet, except for the sound of button bashing from the monkeys because we've got HUNDREDS of EXLUSIVE games sent to us for review this issue!!!!!!"

We don't really need to know that, do we?

Then there's the gossip section, the US/JAP news section, the previews, the reviews, the charts, and then a bunch of rubbish at the back, all of which you could just as easily find on the World Wide Web. Except on the WWW it wouldn't all be a month out of date.

I think the only reason, in truth, that we buy the gamer magazines is for the DVD stuck to the front of it, with all those nice demos on it. I mean £3.49-£3.99 for the DVD alone may be considered pretty good value considering what you get with most of them.

I think in future that the publishers should just release the DVD stuck to a piece of cardboard, rather than stuck to a glossy magazine with pretty pictures, the purpose of which seems to ram the writers' opinions down your throat because 'they know best'.
Thu 29/11/01 at 09:08
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
When you could have just have easily looked up the information you needed from a website?

Most magazines have the same layout, they always start with an editorial where the editor says things like "The office has been quiet, except for the sound of button bashing from the monkeys because we've got HUNDREDS of EXLUSIVE games sent to us for review this issue!!!!!!"

We don't really need to know that, do we?

Then there's the gossip section, the US/JAP news section, the previews, the reviews, the charts, and then a bunch of rubbish at the back, all of which you could just as easily find on the World Wide Web. Except on the WWW it wouldn't all be a month out of date.

I think the only reason, in truth, that we buy the gamer magazines is for the DVD stuck to the front of it, with all those nice demos on it. I mean £3.49-£3.99 for the DVD alone may be considered pretty good value considering what you get with most of them.

I think in future that the publishers should just release the DVD stuck to a piece of cardboard, rather than stuck to a glossy magazine with pretty pictures, the purpose of which seems to ram the writers' opinions down your throat because 'they know best'.
Thu 29/11/01 at 09:37
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Last one I bought was Edge #100, a few months back. I can't remember exactly why I bought it... but there's always some good stuff in there you don't usually find elsewhere. In that issue, for instance, they were allowed inside Nintendo HQ for an interview.

Anyone who buys NOM though, should be shot.

From a cannon, into a bed of nails coated in ethanol.
Thu 29/11/01 at 09:56
The last mag I bought was ODM#21 because of the demo disk
oh well
Thu 29/11/01 at 09:59
Regular
When I stroll into a newsagents or any shop and I spot the Dreamcast Mag, I always buy instantly like some kind of robot - no matter what's in it. I suppose I can't believe it still exists.
Thu 29/11/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I actually subscribe to PC Gamer. One of the main reasons is definately the cover disc - loadsa demos which often make me pick new games to get.

The other reason is...to be honest.... i'd rather not be infront of a screen for everything i do. I like sitting down in my room with the magazine and reading reviews/previews/news.

Someone sent me a demo of Tom Clancy's Ghost recon this morning. Not sure why as i haven't got any other of the Rainbow 6 series. Its real good actually. I was impressed
Thu 29/11/01 at 10:38
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I havnt bought a computer mag for over a year now... I generally find everything I need over the net...

FantasyMeister wrote:
I think in future that the
> publishers should just release the DVD stuck to a piece of cardboard,

They did... there were a couple out at one time or another, for about 3.99 you got the CD with game demos and shareware on... Instead of a mag attached there was more of a leaflet thing telling you how to intstall the titles...
Thu 29/11/01 at 11:44
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Magazines are losing the battle against web sites. It'll be a while before they're extinct, but as you said, why pay, say, £3 to get information you could just get on the web. And the web info is more uptodate.
Thu 29/11/01 at 11:46
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Hey Venom byte, i buy NOM, but it's on subscription and I get it out of tradition. It's changed. I remember issue 1. It was new and different. Then a year of 5 ago I got it on subscrip. I also get PCZ and the occasional Edge.
Thu 29/11/01 at 12:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Magazines are losing the battle against web sites. It'll be a while before
> they're extinct, but as you said, why pay, say, £3 to get information you
> could just get on the web. And the web info is more uptodate.

Especially as broadband begins to creep into the mass use...

Game demos will take minutes to download instead of hours... and with a perminant connection, you will be able to get your computer to grab groups of demos as you sleep?
Thu 29/11/01 at 12:07
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Well, I don't think I could sleep with my PC whirring in the background, but if it's not in your room, yeah.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.