GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why did you buy your last Gaming Magazine?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/11/01 at 09:08
Regular
When you could have just have easily looked up the information you needed from a website?

Most magazines have the same layout, they always start with an editorial where the editor says things like "The office has been quiet, except for the sound of button bashing from the monkeys because we've got HUNDREDS of EXLUSIVE games sent to us for review this issue!!!!!!"

We don't really need to know that, do we?

Then there's the gossip section, the US/JAP news section, the previews, the reviews, the charts, and then a bunch of rubbish at the back, all of which you could just as easily find on the World Wide Web. Except on the WWW it wouldn't all be a month out of date.

I think the only reason, in truth, that we buy the gamer magazines is for the DVD stuck to the front of it, with all those nice demos on it. I mean £3.49-£3.99 for the DVD alone may be considered pretty good value considering what you get with most of them.

I think in future that the publishers should just release the DVD stuck to a piece of cardboard, rather than stuck to a glossy magazine with pretty pictures, the purpose of which seems to ram the writers' opinions down your throat because 'they know best'.
Tue 04/12/01 at 19:37
My brother did that. And when I was a little kid, when I was always nosy, my brother always flipped to the program listings the moment I went into his room, knowing that I'd be bored within 3 seconds and leave.

The reason why I buy magazines (and subscribe as well) is because I prefer to have something tangible to read.
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I used to buy Sinclair User for the BASIC listings at the back.

You know, the ones with 9999 lines spread over three pages with the mis-print in the machine code bit at the end. I'm sure these mis-prints were deliberate because after 4 hours of typing these things into your ZX Spectrum and finding out that they didn't work, you simply HAD to recoup your invested time by running outside and buying a copy of 'Machine Code and Better BASIC' by Ian Stewart (God bless that man) so that you could fix it yourself.

These games were all freeware, back in the days of the birth of the internet and the ethos of 'Hey, let's make the world a better place by sharing all the good stuff for free with other gamers.'

But then of course some bright spark discovered that if you made a good game you could sell it and actually make money out of making games.

I remember way back then ordering games from the classified sections of magazines (gameshops themselves didn't actually exist around this time) and waiting eagerly for them to arrive 3 weeks later on a cassette tape stuffed inside a brown jiffy back with a photocopied piece of paper telling you how to load it.

And then finding out that it didn't work. Now it may not seem much but £4.99 back in them days was about 4 weeks' worth of pocket money.

Nowadays of course we've got Special Reserve just giving away games just for us writing about gaming, games that always work, next day delivery, information and game snippets on the web 12 months before the game actually hits the shops, demos with magazines that are 1,000,000 times the size of the old complete ZX Spectrum games and yet are 'free' with magazines.

How times have changed. I feel old. I'm off to play Grand Theft Auto 3 and recapture my youth.

:)
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:15
Regular
Oh hell yeah, used to collect Commodore Format. Some great demos on there.
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:07
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I used to get the mags where they had videos of upcoming Megadive games. I've still got them. One video had Sonic 2 in the developmental stage and I have another one with a guide to Street Fighter 2 on it. I also used to get Spectrum mags with free tapes on it. Many a year ago now.
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:04
Regular
Sorry, that first bit would make no sense to anyone but me.
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:03
Regular
Oh! WHY!

For a video on the front of a magazine. 56K waiting for hours versus few quid pop in the player.
Fri 30/11/01 at 20:23
Regular
i have not bought a mag since NOM which i've stopped reading :|
Fri 30/11/01 at 09:48
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Well, I don't think I could sleep with my PC whirring
> in the background, but if
> it's not in your room, yeah.

lol... how loud
> is your PC?

Sorry it took a while to get back to you Armitage. In truth, yeah. It's an old P2 350. And It's dodgy 'cos we can't upgrade it!!!
Thu 29/11/01 at 22:22
Regular
"always swirling"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Talkie Toaster wrote:
> i normaly get the opm.

DRUGGY!!!!

:-)

shhhhusssshhhhh!
hay i'll give you a few pages if you keep quite
Thu 29/11/01 at 22:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
Talkie Toaster wrote:
> i normaly get the opm.

DRUGGY!!!!

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.