GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SPARKLE GEFORCE 4 4200 PLATINUM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/04/03 at 21:00
Regular
Has anyone got one of these? If you have what are they like and are they good value for the money?
Tue 22/04/03 at 21:28
Regular
if i was older, i'd be able to patch up the hole in my account just like that, but that's life.....

one of my pals said to me when i told him i'd wait for the price to be bumped down - "yes, i'll just wait for it to get more obsolete before i buy it"

LOL, cheeky git
Tue 22/04/03 at 18:46
Regular
I haven't had a fast card before so anything above a geforce 2.. or geforce 4mx in a way i'll be happy.
Tue 22/04/03 at 16:49
Regular
cool, but i'll wait 'til the card is in my acceptable price range, and THEN ill snap it up quicker than you can say "jimbob".

at the moment i get around 25 fps on ut2k3 on 800x600 & 16-bit. i mean, that's GOOD for a geforce II, let alone an MX. my card has served me well, but it's time to move on to the big boys. i'm sorry - do i sound stupid or what???
Mon 21/04/03 at 13:53
Regular
It should run a hell of alot better..
U could maybe get about stable fps at 1024x768 32bit everything at high in ut2003
Mon 21/04/03 at 12:27
Regular
i'm thinking of getting the geforce Ti4200 platinum in the future. i currently have a Geforce II MX 400. is the card worth getting?

im a hardcore (HAH, hardly) gamer and i often experience games/demos like ut2k3 and generals, and often get glitches with GTA 3.

if i get this card, combined with my current 1.8 ghz athlon and 512 DDR, will i be able to run any game out to date? and if so, what sort of framerate will i expect?
Sat 19/04/03 at 18:00
Regular
"I see you"
Possum wrote:
> In my opinion, you're stupid if you buy a sparkle now.
>
> These are the reasons:
>
> 1. No game has been made to use the full potential of it so buying it
> for the effects and stuff now would be pointless.
>
> 2. Since it's not fully being used the full potential, wait for about
> 4 months when a real decent game like doom3 or an amazing game comes
> out.
>
> 3. You're paying for something you're not even using properly so you
> may aswell just wait till it goes down in price and stick with the
> Geforce 4 Ti 128mb.
>
> These are all pretty much the same but you're a sucker if you buy it
> for £329. You may be saving £60 but if you wait for a bit
> you'll be saving over £100.

This is exactly what i'm doing (i have to anyway as i need to save up), i'm gonna wait about 6 months and i might even buy myself one of those sweet, sweet Area 51 computers. By the way has anyone seen the new cases that you can get with the alienware computers now! They look stunning.
Sat 19/04/03 at 17:34
Regular
They ain't the same thing... u buy consoles and games and u know it will work.. no need to upgrade or anything.
Sat 19/04/03 at 17:07
Regular
Possum wrote:
> 1. No game has been made to use the full potential of it so buying it
> for the effects and stuff now would be pointless.

maybe not, but what about smoothness, clarity and the showoff factor?
with Nvidia products like these, Anti-Aliasing with high resolutions and framerates is easily handled by the 128mb memory, and not only does that mean that you dont have to look at the requirements when buying Ut2K3 or Generals, but it also means that the graphics card can perform outstandingly when combined with a decent CPU, so basically - it'll wipe the floor with gamecubes, PS2's and Xbox's all put together. it is the ultimate games machine.

things like these, however, have a price.
Sat 19/04/03 at 17:02
Regular
GF 4 4200 looks cool aswell.... i buy things based on their looks. lots of fans = powerful CPU/ lots of over-clocking opportunities. cool metallic look = durable
Sat 19/04/03 at 16:26
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
In my opinion, you're stupid if you buy a sparkle now.

These are the reasons:

1. No game has been made to use the full potential of it so buying it for the effects and stuff now would be pointless.

2. Since it's not fully being used the full potential, wait for about 4 months when a real decent game like doom3 or an amazing game comes out.

3. You're paying for something you're not even using properly so you may aswell just wait till it goes down in price and stick with the Geforce 4 Ti 128mb.

These are all pretty much the same but you're a sucker if you buy it for £329. You may be saving £60 but if you wait for a bit you'll be saving over £100.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.