GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shame on you Dixons."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/04/03 at 12:24
Regular
Anyone been into Dixons recently?

The words 'price crash', and 'clear out' spring to mind.

No new titles in store, all remaining games £24.99 or less to clear, official pads £15.98.

GC shelves half empty, and not being re-stocked.

Even worse, their new games catalogue doesn't make any mention the GC, as if it never happened.

So, cheap consoles may boost sales short term, but no-one's gonna be buying their GCs from Dixons in the very near future.

V.

Obviously I don't really care, I love my GC, and the satisfying number of excellent games, but stores that choose to support XBox and drops GC?

Purleez...

(Shame on you, Dixons)
Sun 13/04/03 at 22:37
Regular
"past,present&future"
Mystique wrote:
> Beginning of the end...urgh idiot.

We'll see.
Sun 13/04/03 at 22:16
Regular
Harsh. Every journey begins with a single retailer...

And if I was buying a console now it'd definitely be an xbox (though somehow I'm going to end up with a cube and ps2). At £130 the cube doesn't have all that much beyond metroid and zelda going for it.
Any other games can be offset by good xbox/ps2 alternatives.
Sun 13/04/03 at 21:41
Regular
vorderman wrote:
>> Looks alot like the beginning of the end of GC highstreet retail to
> me.
>
> Obviously Nintendo aren't blameless, have been too slow with releases
> and price cuts / poor advertising / securing 3rd party support etc.

The console is only £129.99, until Friday it was the cheapest of the three for over a year. Don't be so tight fisted. As for adverts, I've seen loads more than for the PS2 or XBox.

Beginning of the end...urgh idiot.
Sun 13/04/03 at 21:28
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> My local choices have stopped selling Gamecube stock.

Choices Video Store?

Pfft, Ignore it, When the Xbox was'nt doing too greatly Summer last year they removed Xbox stock off their shelves, Towards christmas (Xbox sales pick up) Oooo look, Out comes the Xbox stock.

Once they see what they are missing, they'll come crawling back.
Sun 13/04/03 at 21:03
Regular
"past,present&future"
I'm going 'mental' over this cos it's symptomatic of a narrow minded, short term, money grabbing industry.

To drop a high quality product without giving Metroid and Zelda a chance?

Looks alot like the beginning of the end of GC highstreet retail to me.

Obviously Nintendo aren't blameless, have been too slow with releases and price cuts / poor advertising / securing 3rd party support etc.

V.
Sun 13/04/03 at 19:14
Regular
Why is everyone going mental over this? Ever stop to think that Dixons *isn't* the only store to sell GameCube games?

Muuuuuh

And people say Nintendo fans are stupid. Jokes on them eh.
Sun 13/04/03 at 19:05
Regular
Dixons may re-stock eventually especially if Nintendo do the well overdue price cut and the release of Zelda.

My local choices have stopped selling Gamecube stock.
Sat 12/04/03 at 23:14
Regular
I don't care whether the Gamecube fails or if places stop selling it. I've got mine, Nintendo are still making games for it, all it means is you can pick up games cheaper in these clear outs.

Also, Nintendo aren't in danger because they don't need the large scale sales like MS and Sony do.
They're making a small scale tidy profit which won't have them soar to corporate heights but will keep them in the game, making games, which is all that matters.

Besides, Dixons isn't exactly the hottest games store in town.

The third party thing is midly concerning, but Nintendo have needed some humbling in that area for quite some time now, ever since the days of the Nes. The N64 did it a bit but not enough.
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:44
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Whats the big deal with sales? Mavericks always coming along and
> stating that the GC has sold more then the Xbox. Where has he got
> these facts?

I have my sources. Like ELSPA and Nintendo.
Sat 12/04/03 at 22:43
Regular
Tóm wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> And where's yours?
>
> Heh. My proof was the quote from a website above where I asked for
> your proof.

I was saying yours wasn't substantial.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.