GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to Get your PS2 ONLINE!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 06:14
Regular
OK, so you're probably thinking: "Why tell me? I've got broadband, I just buy a network adaptor kit for my PS2 and away I go...".

Trust me, it's NOT that simple, because everyone has a completely different setup, different Internet Service Providers (ISPs) who require different information from your PS2 Network Adaptor, different operating systems (Win98, WinME, Win2k, WinXP), different types of modem (is yours ADSL or Ethernet or both?), different types of connectors (USB or RJ45), different types of NIC that you may or may not need etc.

If you can configure firewalls and open router ports and initiate packet forwarding and configure ICS and know your crossover cable from your patch cable then you'll be OK. If you don't know what any of that last sentence meant, and you want to get online with your PS2, you MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:

Go to http://uk.playstation.com
Click on 'Network Gaming' on the left menu, then select 'Guides' in the dropdown menu.
Then read every one of them.
Then read all the pages that the Guides link to.
Even if you don't think you need to know anything about some of the sections, or even if you think you know it all anyway, READ THEM and take all that information in.

Because about 50% of people who want to connect their PS2 online can't do it. Simply because they couldn't be bothered to read those Guides. I'm just posting this here now because I'm fed up with answering 50 posts a day on the Sony forums asking things like "How the hell do I get this to work?" posted by people who didn't do their homework. It took me 6 hours solid and a few coffees to read those guides, not to mention the couple of weeks I spent trolling the Network Gaming section of the Sony Forums looking for advice on the best router, setup methods and so on. I now know so much about the subject I could probably pass myself off as a Network Consultant.

And come launch day for the PS2 Network Adaptor, I refuse to help if you get stuck, I'll just pop this post and laugh at you :P
Mon 09/06/03 at 14:35
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
OK, just a quick question then i'll go away and never darken your door again.

I got a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch Model no. FS108.

Will this work as a router?

*runs and hides behind settee*
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Bump. The 11th is approaching. The PS2 network adaptor release date is approaching. Do your homework of suffer the consequences. Mwahaahaaaa.
(I'll help out if I can, just don't ask me questions that involve ADSL/USB/NTL/ICS).
Wed 23/04/03 at 10:14
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I've been going through all this network education as well, in preparation for receiving my adapter. Due to unexpected recent costs (my Japanese PS2 blew up, then I got locked out of my flat and it cost £140 to get the door open!!) I went for the cheapest option : ICS.

Of course, I only have Win98 and this doesn't support ICS, so I downloaded some proprietary software called WinProxy. That all seems to be setup but I won't know until the PS2 is connected.

Question for you FM, WinProxy wants to have specific 'proxies' enabled before it will allow incoming/outgoing communications. I think this means ports have to be opened or something... does the PS2 require anything specific here? I've heard that the voice comms can be blocked by firewalls and the like, so I've turned the firewall off completely (never had one before, so what do I care?) but does anything else need to be done?

Cheers (haven't seen you posting at the sony forums but nobody else there is any use)
Fri 18/04/03 at 18:37
"period drama"
Leads?
Fri 18/04/03 at 18:33
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I think you'll also need an extremely long lead as well my friend!
Fri 18/04/03 at 18:01
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i thought you had to buy a modem and a screen so then you can play it any were if you have an adaptor.my dad has a ps2 in the car with 3 tv's in the car.so all i need is a modem then i will be able to go on the internet.
Fri 18/04/03 at 14:12
"High polygon count"
What's a console?
Tue 15/04/03 at 18:51
"period drama"
What about Macs?
*Runs*
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
What's Broadband?

What's a NIC?

What does "online" mean?

;)

Hehe...good point made there although I think there'll still be posts here asking what to do when they can't connect :(

You could always start charging a fee, maybe arrange something with SR :)
Tue 15/04/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Good post, I think anyone who has a PC will realise things never just plug in and play.

PS2 owners might not realise this so I'm surprised we haven't seen Sony advertising for Tech Support staff for when PS2 does go online !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.