GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to Get your PS2 ONLINE!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 06:14
Regular
OK, so you're probably thinking: "Why tell me? I've got broadband, I just buy a network adaptor kit for my PS2 and away I go...".

Trust me, it's NOT that simple, because everyone has a completely different setup, different Internet Service Providers (ISPs) who require different information from your PS2 Network Adaptor, different operating systems (Win98, WinME, Win2k, WinXP), different types of modem (is yours ADSL or Ethernet or both?), different types of connectors (USB or RJ45), different types of NIC that you may or may not need etc.

If you can configure firewalls and open router ports and initiate packet forwarding and configure ICS and know your crossover cable from your patch cable then you'll be OK. If you don't know what any of that last sentence meant, and you want to get online with your PS2, you MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:

Go to http://uk.playstation.com
Click on 'Network Gaming' on the left menu, then select 'Guides' in the dropdown menu.
Then read every one of them.
Then read all the pages that the Guides link to.
Even if you don't think you need to know anything about some of the sections, or even if you think you know it all anyway, READ THEM and take all that information in.

Because about 50% of people who want to connect their PS2 online can't do it. Simply because they couldn't be bothered to read those Guides. I'm just posting this here now because I'm fed up with answering 50 posts a day on the Sony forums asking things like "How the hell do I get this to work?" posted by people who didn't do their homework. It took me 6 hours solid and a few coffees to read those guides, not to mention the couple of weeks I spent trolling the Network Gaming section of the Sony Forums looking for advice on the best router, setup methods and so on. I now know so much about the subject I could probably pass myself off as a Network Consultant.

And come launch day for the PS2 Network Adaptor, I refuse to help if you get stuck, I'll just pop this post and laugh at you :P
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:21
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The craziest Col! wrote:
> Well just been on that site, my results are:
>
> 226.08 kBps
> (28.26 Kbps)
>
> If the bottom number is suppose to be the downlod speed, that test is
> s**t. I downlaod at 40 a sec.

You've just got a poor connection.

131.6 Kbps is what I get and I'm on a 150kb line, that's quite good considering you'll never get a perfect 150kb/s.

Oh, and don't quote the whole text if you'r gonna reply to something. Just quote the relevant bit otherwise you just confuse people and it looks crap.
Thu 12/06/03 at 08:00
" Crazy!"
ManicMyna wrote:
> phi11ip wrote:
> And my 150kb line works fine with all online PC games, is it just
> the
> PS2 that people have problems with it?
>
> the prob definately shows when you are connected by ICS because they
> don't shut off other processes like kazaa and all the other hidden
> processes that go on
>
> i jack my ps2 directly into the modem so it gets all 600k to use but i
> know i don't alway get my full speed (check
> http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/ to see what sort of speed you're
> getting)
> 150k is bearly better than ISDN which is why ntl are getting
> complaints about it calling that service broadband. What i see on my
> screen whilst looking at a laggy player ain't pretty (player running
> in place then suddenly changing location only to be running on the
> spot again) so it can't be all that great for that player to see every
> one else appearing somewhere and then reappearing somewhere else once
> the players positions are updated

Well just been on that site, my results are:

226.08 kBps
(28.26 Kbps)

If the bottom number is suppose to be the downlod speed, that test is s**t. I downlaod at 40 a sec.
Wed 11/06/03 at 22:23
Regular
"oaps.org"
phi11ip wrote:
> And my 150kb line works fine with all online PC games, is it just the
> PS2 that people have problems with it?

the prob definately shows when you are connected by ICS because they don't shut off other processes like kazaa and all the other hidden processes that go on

i jack my ps2 directly into the modem so it gets all 600k to use but i know i don't alway get my full speed (check http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/ to see what sort of speed you're getting)
150k is bearly better than ISDN which is why ntl are getting complaints about it calling that service broadband. What i see on my screen whilst looking at a laggy player ain't pretty (player running in place then suddenly changing location only to be running on the spot again) so it can't be all that great for that player to see every one else appearing somewhere and then reappearing somewhere else once the players positions are updated
Wed 11/06/03 at 21:02
Regular
"  "
CLUBMAN wrote:
> i dont own a pc so i was going to have telewest broadband for my phone
> and digital tv and was wondering if i could have my ps2 on the same
> bradband connection? what do you think

Connect it via your TV set top box and you should be fine.
Wed 11/06/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I think you're slightly confused. And I'm lost in here so I'll help!

You need a broadand internet line. Telewest call themselves 'Telewest Broadband' but that doesn't mean you'll get the internet with it.

You may get the phone and tv package from them but you'll need to get the internet package if you want to even think about getting your PS2 online.

And my 150kb line works fine with all online PC games, is it just the PS2 that people have problems with it?
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:58
Regular
"mini that is"
i dont own a pc so i was going to have telewest broadband for my phone and digital tv and was wondering if i could have my ps2 on the same bradband connection? what do you think
Wed 11/06/03 at 13:58
Regular
"  "
:)

I think I saw that in the audio options (Voice volume) :) Thanks.
Wed 11/06/03 at 13:54
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I wouldn't know how to disable voice even if it was written in big letters and easy to follow instructions, so can't answer that, sorry :(
Wed 11/06/03 at 13:52
Regular
"  "
I see. So switching voice off makes no difference?
Tue 10/06/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
El Nå†ßu© wrote:
> FM, was the 5 second delay for 150k users only when you used voice
> comm?

No it's on pretty much everything. It's like...you're running along and all of a sudden a SEAL will appear out of nowhere in front of you, but you're dead before you actually see him appear. But that's only when it's REALLY laggy. Most of the time you see them appear first and if you're fast enough you might get off a couple of shots before they disappear and reappear behind you, and then shoot you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.