GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to Get your PS2 ONLINE!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 06:14
Regular
OK, so you're probably thinking: "Why tell me? I've got broadband, I just buy a network adaptor kit for my PS2 and away I go...".

Trust me, it's NOT that simple, because everyone has a completely different setup, different Internet Service Providers (ISPs) who require different information from your PS2 Network Adaptor, different operating systems (Win98, WinME, Win2k, WinXP), different types of modem (is yours ADSL or Ethernet or both?), different types of connectors (USB or RJ45), different types of NIC that you may or may not need etc.

If you can configure firewalls and open router ports and initiate packet forwarding and configure ICS and know your crossover cable from your patch cable then you'll be OK. If you don't know what any of that last sentence meant, and you want to get online with your PS2, you MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:

Go to http://uk.playstation.com
Click on 'Network Gaming' on the left menu, then select 'Guides' in the dropdown menu.
Then read every one of them.
Then read all the pages that the Guides link to.
Even if you don't think you need to know anything about some of the sections, or even if you think you know it all anyway, READ THEM and take all that information in.

Because about 50% of people who want to connect their PS2 online can't do it. Simply because they couldn't be bothered to read those Guides. I'm just posting this here now because I'm fed up with answering 50 posts a day on the Sony forums asking things like "How the hell do I get this to work?" posted by people who didn't do their homework. It took me 6 hours solid and a few coffees to read those guides, not to mention the couple of weeks I spent trolling the Network Gaming section of the Sony Forums looking for advice on the best router, setup methods and so on. I now know so much about the subject I could probably pass myself off as a Network Consultant.

And come launch day for the PS2 Network Adaptor, I refuse to help if you get stuck, I'll just pop this post and laugh at you :P
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:20
Regular
"WWJD"
thats who i want to get broadband with
Tue 24/06/03 at 18:19
Regular
"WWJD"
Oh right well im phoning up NTL and im going ask them about it
Tue 24/06/03 at 09:39
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Routers don't usually take USB connections anyway. Any PC connected to the router would need to have a network card installed (about £10-£15) so you could plug in an ethernet cable.
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:14
Regular
"WWJD"
ok then so another question i need to plug in my sisters computer to the router so she can also have broadband but her computer does not have a USB port how does this complicate the situation? can she still have it? if so how
Mon 23/06/03 at 20:48
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It doesn't have to be, wireless routers are just more expensive than regular routers. It's up to you.
Mon 23/06/03 at 18:28
Regular
"WWJD"
anyone?
Sun 22/06/03 at 19:31
Regular
"WWJD"
Question about the router i need to connect broadband to three computers,

1) is the router wireless? all the ones ive seen are if so how does it work

2) i can ask when someone answers question 1

Thanks
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Have you got a web address for NTL? I've found a broadband that covers BT lines for £18.99 a month, its the £50 installation and the £50 modem i'm working towards!
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:16
Regular
Does NTL offer the cheapest broadband at 17.99 a month anyone? Or can I get it cheaper somewhere else?
Thu 12/06/03 at 21:19
Regular
"  "
120.72 Kbps
(15.09 KBps)

On a 150k ntl line.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.