GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rogue Squadron III"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike'.
Tue 15/04/03 at 15:51
Regular
I just watched Star Wars. Yay. Good film as ever.

Then I played Rogue Leader. Good game as ever. But. It really has not got a lifespan of a very long lifespanned game really has it? The game is excellently made, good fun and all that, but the mission structure means it becomes very repetitve after a few months.

To make Rogue Leader II a worthwhile purchase, Factor 5 should go back to the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter roots. Pick an alliegence at the start. Then you are a humble fighter pilot, assigned for recon and escrot duties, before building yourself up to Wing Commander or what have you, with lots of shiny medals. I feel a far more freeform game, under the umbrella of some outlying story (such as the actual Star Wars story, perhaps in 2 sections - Episodes 1/2 and the main IV, V and VI) would make the game far more interesting. Rather than having JUST defined missions, some random attacks by Imperial/Rebel forces could add some spice....if you know what I mean.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else?
Thu 17/04/03 at 18:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Cool.

Now make it like I said.

Yup.

:)
Thu 17/04/03 at 11:06
Regular
Rogue Squadron 3's been confirmed, should be out in Autumn in the States and expect to see it at E3.
Thu 17/04/03 at 01:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Opps - forgot to add Slave 1 to the Empire ships. A decent version this time though - not the cack Y-Wing speed with TIE fighter endurance of last time. I was so gutted when I used that ship after spending so long trying to unlock it. Factor 5 better not insult that ship like that again or I'll go nuts and take 3 quarters of their staff and building with me ! ;-)
Wed 16/04/03 at 01:18
Regular
Yeah, Starfighter is abysmal.
Wed 16/04/03 at 01:17
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I played some Star Wars game on the PS2 when my brother borrowed the PS2 off a friend... Think the game was starfighter(?) or something similar... utter toss. It had crappy ships that I didn't even recognise from Episode 1/2, and was more like a point and click (point your ship at enemy, bash fire, repeat). It felt nothing like the Star Wars universe we know and love, and it was just dull and unentertaining...
Wed 16/04/03 at 01:10
Regular
I agree with all the improvments that should be made, but even so it probably is the best Star Wars game around at the moment, the rest of it is just cack cash ins like Clone Wars.

It'd definately the best Star Wars shooter anyway.
Wed 16/04/03 at 00:17
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I honestly can't see them going for the more open-ended approach. It's much harder to implement and develop successfully, and is less likely to sell well.

I'd be happy with some upgrades such as better AI (especially from you co-pilots...), more missions with even bigger battles than before, and definitely a co-op mode and hopefully a proper deathmatch mode too.

Basically, more of the same. But I would also say that the idea of choosing a side and working your way up the ranks, buying new equipment (better radars, targetting equipment, boosters, etc.) and also getting into elite squadrons (An Interceptor squad or Vadars bodyguards for the Imperials, Rogue Squadron for the Rebels) would be a really good game too, and could include many side missions and sub-quests... kind of like an RPG with a space-shooters body... that'd be excellent... But I can't see 'em doing it with the Rogue series... hopefully they'll do a game like that at some point though...
Tue 15/04/03 at 23:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
First of all, the defending in the game needs to be seriously scaled down cause I'm sick of racing from one useless "friend" to another, defending them instead of enjoying the battles.

I think the medal system should be changed. Rather than have it the way it is, I think the player should earn medals for playing a big part in taking out large targets and shooting down good numbers of enemy fighters.

With the exception of proton torpedoes (for targets like the death star) and bombs for ships like the Y-Wing, I think all the special weapons should be taken out with lasers playing a bigger part in dogfighting.
I think online play is out of the question really - at least for anything large scale cause I think there would be too many problems with slowdown.
A co-op mode would be nice, particularly using the i-link with 2 GC's.

Like a few have mentioned - I'd also love to see a chance to pick a side you'd like to fight for. I'd love to be able to launch from a Stardestroyer in a TIE fighter. ;-)
Plus it would be cool to do bombing runs in a TIE bomber.
As far as bonus missions go, it would be nice if you could control an AT-AT in battles such as Hoth - destroying the rebels ground defences and snowspeeders before destroying the shield generator. Maybe you could also take control of a gun position on the DeathStar or on a Stardestroyer in a major battle - shooting down rebel ships while making sure you don't kill your own fighters.

I think the orders need to be taken out as they did very little anyway - maybe a button could be pressed for when you're having problems shaking off an enemy so that another fighter can pursue and help you out.
Operations like opening the wings on X-Wings and B-Wings DEFINATLY need a seperate button - its too annoying to have it shared with another action - particularly the acceleration button.

Going back to the TIE's - I think the armour should take a little bit more punishment. They don't have shields and because they're so weak, you have very little chance to react before being blown to pieces, so I think it should be able to take an extra few hits.

Plenty of missions attacking large cruisers will be excellent, again with no homing missles, etc - just laser fire to dodge from various turrets. This will also require some decent AI from the GC. Basically other fighters need to attack these cruisers as well (and have some effect), otherwise it'll just be a case of you going it alone with every turret focusing on you and that will just become annoying.

If Factor 5 can do all this, Rogue Squadron 3 WILL be the best Star Wars game. At the moment its a series with loads of potential that just keeps falling that bit short because of little things that stop it being what it could be.
As for fighters to control on both sides...

Rebels -
X-Wing
Y-Wing
B-Wing
A-Wing
Millenium Falcon
Snowspeeder
Naboo Fighter (bonus)
Jedi Fighter (bonus)

Empire -
TIE Fighter
TIE Interceptor
TIE Bomber
Imperial Shuttle
Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (bonus)
Darth Maul's Fighter (bonus)
Tue 15/04/03 at 22:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
If they do stick with it, I'll still buy it. But if it isn't broke, why just not try to make it even better? As in a better game for you to play? With more stuff to do etc...........Ahyhoo, I'll still get it if its the usual mission thingy.
Tue 15/04/03 at 22:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Cyclone wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Leave it as it is, the game had about 30+ hours of play and to be
> honest thats more than plenty.
>
> So you'd rather they stuck with the same formula again?

Yep, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.