GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rogue Squadron III"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike'.
Tue 15/04/03 at 15:51
Regular
I just watched Star Wars. Yay. Good film as ever.

Then I played Rogue Leader. Good game as ever. But. It really has not got a lifespan of a very long lifespanned game really has it? The game is excellently made, good fun and all that, but the mission structure means it becomes very repetitve after a few months.

To make Rogue Leader II a worthwhile purchase, Factor 5 should go back to the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter roots. Pick an alliegence at the start. Then you are a humble fighter pilot, assigned for recon and escrot duties, before building yourself up to Wing Commander or what have you, with lots of shiny medals. I feel a far more freeform game, under the umbrella of some outlying story (such as the actual Star Wars story, perhaps in 2 sections - Episodes 1/2 and the main IV, V and VI) would make the game far more interesting. Rather than having JUST defined missions, some random attacks by Imperial/Rebel forces could add some spice....if you know what I mean.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else?
Tue 15/04/03 at 15:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I just watched Star Wars. Yay. Good film as ever.

Then I played Rogue Leader. Good game as ever. But. It really has not got a lifespan of a very long lifespanned game really has it? The game is excellently made, good fun and all that, but the mission structure means it becomes very repetitve after a few months.

To make Rogue Leader II a worthwhile purchase, Factor 5 should go back to the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter roots. Pick an alliegence at the start. Then you are a humble fighter pilot, assigned for recon and escrot duties, before building yourself up to Wing Commander or what have you, with lots of shiny medals. I feel a far more freeform game, under the umbrella of some outlying story (such as the actual Star Wars story, perhaps in 2 sections - Episodes 1/2 and the main IV, V and VI) would make the game far more interesting. Rather than having JUST defined missions, some random attacks by Imperial/Rebel forces could add some spice....if you know what I mean.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else?
Tue 15/04/03 at 15:54
Regular
"not dead"
Definitely.

A more open-ended game would be great, and surely they've got all the great space battle scenes covered with the original game?
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
They've done Endor, and thats the only one I wanted to play.

They could easily create absoloutely epic space battles, and keep it in a far more open ended game.

I want to be a lowly Imperial pilot, with an Academy debt and my personalised TIE fighter.
Tue 15/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
The better not go delving in the Ep 1-3 universe for the sequel, I won't be best pleased if they do.

Fighting Tie Fighters is so much better than fighting the stoopid craft out of the new films.

Oh and more varied missions and co-op play would be nice.
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Alright, base a free form space arcade game with small RPG elements in the good Star Wars saga. Online play would be very cool.......

Anyone else?
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Leave it as it is, the game had about 30+ hours of play and to be honest thats more than plenty.
Tue 15/04/03 at 20:55
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Battle of hoth is still a great level though. I keep on coming back to it.
Tue 15/04/03 at 21:06
Regular
I won't accept anything less than a kickass multiplayer mode.

If they managed to rush up the original in just 8 months then I'm sure they could do wonders with a sequel!
Tue 15/04/03 at 21:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
cookie monster wrote:
> Leave it as it is, the game had about 30+ hours of play and to be
> honest thats more than plenty.

So you'd rather they stuck with the same formula again?

I'd rather have a game that kept me entertained for 30 hours, not one that did so for 15, then, while being good fun, was pretty pointless for the last 15 (unlocking stuff). I'd far rather they created a far more open universe, combining maybe both planetry and space battles. A mix of random UFO-esque battles and more defined 'epic' missions would be far better. And a great multiplayer.
Tue 15/04/03 at 21:48
Regular
Has a third instalment been confirmed or rumoured?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.