GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live help!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 18:13
Regular
I am looking to connect my Xbox up to my PC and after reading the instructions from xbox.com I am not entirely sure of what I need to do. I do not want to purchase a router as I don't have the funds avaialable and I don't mind having my PC turned on whilst playing LIVE. The other option (only other option) was the ICS Windows connection. I haven't purchased LIVE yet but will be very soon but after following the instructions I don't know where to start. I went to Control Panel and add new hardware and then tried to search for what they said I would need yet it isn't there. I have the BT Voyager USB (ADSL Modem) and want the cheapest and easiest way to connect my PC to my Xbox. Is there anyone that can help? Thankyou.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:02
Regular
yeah just get winME from gameplay..this sorts out any probs
Tue 22/04/03 at 15:51
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I think I have Windows 98 Second Edition and thats why I can't
> understand. I will upgrade to XP or 2000 ASAP because I think thats
> where my problem lies. If I upgrade to them will they contain the
> drivers I need to setup my Printer and Scanner etc? Thanks! Cheers for
> the number H I will look for a cheap upgrade and see if that can sort
> out my problem.

if you have win 98 SE then you should have in windows setup a ICS (internet connection sharing), add that off your CD, and re-boot etc, should configure for you, this is providing u have a network card too?

if you up grade to Win ME all your exsisting drivers will be fine, however win 2000 and XP you will have to re-install nearly everything. If you do go this was get the broadband working and the network card working first, but it would be easyer to upgrade to Win ME.
Tue 22/04/03 at 15:48
"slightlyshortertagl"
Call 08005871102 and they'll sort it all out for you :-D
Tue 22/04/03 at 15:42
Regular
I think I have Windows 98 Second Edition and thats why I can't understand. I will upgrade to XP or 2000 ASAP because I think thats where my problem lies. If I upgrade to them will they contain the drivers I need to setup my Printer and Scanner etc? Thanks! Cheers for the number H I will look for a cheap upgrade and see if that can sort out my problem.
Tue 22/04/03 at 13:57
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Nice one! The only problem I have is that I am running Windows 98 and
> I can't find an actual setup for ICS! I have followed instructions but
> there isn't an ICS setup?!

ah been to the windows setup and its not there, well like me u have windows 98 and not Second edition, for it to work you have to upgrade to windows 98 second edition or windows Me, or if you want to reinstall everything and go to windows 2000, ME is an ok choice worked fine for me.

the old windows 98 just doesnt support ICS, no other way, u have to upgrade, saying that, mine went well didnt have to re-install anything, and ICS did all the work. suggest making a backup before you continue though
Tue 22/04/03 at 13:54
"slightlyshortertagl"
Tue 22/04/03 at 13:51
Regular
Nice one! The only problem I have is that I am running Windows 98 and I can't find an actual setup for ICS! I have followed instructions but there isn't an ICS setup?!
Tue 22/04/03 at 10:47
Regular
well i was surprised how easy it actually worked straight away.

this is what i have

PC P3 500Mhz running Windows ME and added ICS from Windows setup, i already had the network card installed, and when rebooted it prompted to use it anyway.

I have Freeserve BroadBand with the Actiel (Green) ADSL Modem).

Using 2 RJ-45(not Crossover) and a 4 port Hub i connected the cables. (one from PC and One from Xbox to the Hub)

Loaded on the Xbox Live CD, filled in all the details required and tried connect, it configured and then i tried a game, Moto GP and Mech assult which seemed to work fine.

took me 1/2 an hour, i was impressed.

was a bit unsure about the chatting bit, had the headset on, but can hear people saying things , wasnt sure if anyone heurd me?
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:49
Regular
You need.. a network card i bought mine from Amazon about £15, also you need a crossover cable which you can get from dabs.com.. Plug the cable into the network card then the cable into the back of the Xbox and hey presto everything should be ok...

Its really easy to install the card (software too).
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:08
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Tilta, you can't plug all modems straight into the xbox as some are USB only - like the BT "frog" (hence having to plug it into the PC first)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.