GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guess who bought an Xbox today?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 21:25
Regular
A man called Hugh. Probably. In other news, so did me and my brother (who, for those of you that don't know me so well, is J-42 on the forums).

Yes. You read correctly, I now own an Xbox so I can well and truly say, without a shadow of a doubt, it's the worst console :D. Seriously though, while my GameCube will most probably always reign supreme - I'm very happy with the deal I got:

Xbox (inc. controller, etc) + Unofficial 'Trick' Controller + DVD Remote + Halo + Conflict Desert Storm = £95.00.

All in good nick, the console itself is six months old. After that, I got a lift into Exeter (the local city) and took advantage of the following deals at various, un-named stores ;)

Trading in my copies of Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA), Metroid Fusion (GBA), Mission Impossible (GBC) and Tetris (GB), I got a straight swap for..
Pre-owned 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.

Trading in my copies of Black & White (PC), The Sims: House Party (PC), Die Hard: Vendetta (GameCube) and MX2002 (PS2), I got a straight swap for...
Pre-owned 'Shenmue II'.

So good stuff really, I feel I've done very well :D. As for the games, Morrowind is excellent, Halo and Desert Storm are very good and I am yet to play Shenmue II.

A few questions though:

1. I'm not a big fan of the Xbox controller, what's this 'S' version like?
2. Any games you'd recommend for an RPG and shoot 'em up fan?

You lot have got your way then. I now own all three consoles, and a severly weakened bank account. I hope you're happy..
Tue 15/04/03 at 21:25
Regular
A man called Hugh. Probably. In other news, so did me and my brother (who, for those of you that don't know me so well, is J-42 on the forums).

Yes. You read correctly, I now own an Xbox so I can well and truly say, without a shadow of a doubt, it's the worst console :D. Seriously though, while my GameCube will most probably always reign supreme - I'm very happy with the deal I got:

Xbox (inc. controller, etc) + Unofficial 'Trick' Controller + DVD Remote + Halo + Conflict Desert Storm = £95.00.

All in good nick, the console itself is six months old. After that, I got a lift into Exeter (the local city) and took advantage of the following deals at various, un-named stores ;)

Trading in my copies of Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA), Metroid Fusion (GBA), Mission Impossible (GBC) and Tetris (GB), I got a straight swap for..
Pre-owned 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.

Trading in my copies of Black & White (PC), The Sims: House Party (PC), Die Hard: Vendetta (GameCube) and MX2002 (PS2), I got a straight swap for...
Pre-owned 'Shenmue II'.

So good stuff really, I feel I've done very well :D. As for the games, Morrowind is excellent, Halo and Desert Storm are very good and I am yet to play Shenmue II.

A few questions though:

1. I'm not a big fan of the Xbox controller, what's this 'S' version like?
2. Any games you'd recommend for an RPG and shoot 'em up fan?

You lot have got your way then. I now own all three consoles, and a severly weakened bank account. I hope you're happy..
Tue 15/04/03 at 23:10
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I bought an xbox today!
Tue 15/04/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Sorry to break the family par-tay but...

But notherg...

B*llocks

nothing..
Tue 15/04/03 at 23:23
Regular
"accidental superher"
i prefer the controller s...and now use it for pretty much all my games...
the buttons are not as close together on controller s so for fighting games you don't have worry about hitting the wrong buttons accidentally...
black and white buttons in different positions though but you get used to it
Wed 16/04/03 at 00:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I tend to switch between the different controllers depending on the game. ;-)

As for games to buy and keep an eye on as the news is released...

Shooters -
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Brute Force
Phantom Crash
Mech Assault (if you intend to get on XBox Live)
Halo 2
Soldier Of Fortune 2

RPG's -
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars: Galaxies (XBox Live)
True Fantasy Live Online (XBox Live)
Sudeki

Those are a few off the top of my head. ;-)
Wed 16/04/03 at 01:08
Regular
Welcome Mav!

Some other shooters which Sav didn't mention:

Deus EX 2
Operation Flashpoint
Enter The Matrix
Max Payne

I recommend Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and if you are into WWE the please rent RAW and make a decision yourself. I listened to so many people saying that the game was rubbish yet I gave it a shot and with the addition of a story mode (RAW 2 should handle that) then it would be by far the best wrestling game I have ever played. Graphics are superb, audio can be repetitive but I really enjoyed playing it and I have seen it quite cheap so I will be picking it up very soon. You could also try the new Buldurs Gate and if you are remotely interested in driving games then definitley take a look into Project Gotham Racing. I also recommend Dead or Alive 3 and Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding as great alternatives.
Wed 16/04/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
The unofficial controller is pants! It vibrates for no reason. When playing Conflict:desert storm, i cant move. Tis annoying. Oh, and sometimes, the xbox doesn't recognise it.
Wed 16/04/03 at 15:03
Regular
You traded in 4 games and got a 2nd hand game in return?

You my friend have been ripped off most royally.

Oh and you should have waited for the Cube version of Conflict Desert Storm, it's out this Friday and it's got more new stuff than you can shake a big stick at.

By far the best version apparently.
Wed 16/04/03 at 15:16
Regular
Look at the four games though - Metroid Fusion won't sell for much more than £15-20, and Super Circuit won't go for any more than £10. Mission: Impossible and Tetris are practically worthless.

As for Conflict Desert Storm - I didn't have a choice. The guy needed to get rid of his Xbox and all the stuff he had for it. If the GC version is that much better, I may look at trading in the Xbox one.
Wed 16/04/03 at 16:04
Regular
Oh F'*king hell.

I just wrote a massive reply and pressed "submit" SR said I could'nt include this web address as it was too long, I clicked "back" and the long post I had just written was gone. Sigh.....

Welcome to the world of xbox Mav/J-42....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.