GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guess who bought an Xbox today?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/04/03 at 21:25
Regular
A man called Hugh. Probably. In other news, so did me and my brother (who, for those of you that don't know me so well, is J-42 on the forums).

Yes. You read correctly, I now own an Xbox so I can well and truly say, without a shadow of a doubt, it's the worst console :D. Seriously though, while my GameCube will most probably always reign supreme - I'm very happy with the deal I got:

Xbox (inc. controller, etc) + Unofficial 'Trick' Controller + DVD Remote + Halo + Conflict Desert Storm = £95.00.

All in good nick, the console itself is six months old. After that, I got a lift into Exeter (the local city) and took advantage of the following deals at various, un-named stores ;)

Trading in my copies of Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA), Metroid Fusion (GBA), Mission Impossible (GBC) and Tetris (GB), I got a straight swap for..
Pre-owned 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.

Trading in my copies of Black & White (PC), The Sims: House Party (PC), Die Hard: Vendetta (GameCube) and MX2002 (PS2), I got a straight swap for...
Pre-owned 'Shenmue II'.

So good stuff really, I feel I've done very well :D. As for the games, Morrowind is excellent, Halo and Desert Storm are very good and I am yet to play Shenmue II.

A few questions though:

1. I'm not a big fan of the Xbox controller, what's this 'S' version like?
2. Any games you'd recommend for an RPG and shoot 'em up fan?

You lot have got your way then. I now own all three consoles, and a severly weakened bank account. I hope you're happy..
Wed 23/04/03 at 21:34
Regular
The Destruction Derby games had fantastic crash and damage effects. If a next-gen version comes out, I'll be the first to buy it :).
Mon 21/04/03 at 21:32
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Toca does damage quite well, well if you want extensive damage that is...
Mon 21/04/03 at 20:56
Regular
hmmm, yeah, i haven't seen a game yet that gets crash physics right, with the possible exception of carmageddon 2, which is a classic.

games like gt3 are great, but damage is important and shouldn't be overlooked by games designers if they wish to keep the realism up.

on the other end of the scale theres burnout i suppose but even some of the crashes on that look ridiculous.
Fri 18/04/03 at 21:43
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
The damage is pretty good, companies like Porche and Ferrari don't like their lovely cars looking battered, so in respect the damage is quite well done compared to GT3.
Fri 18/04/03 at 20:38
Regular
"accidental superher"
yeah the game is really good fun but damage is pretty pants that's all
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:23
Regular
There is damage in PGR but as Beanz said it is very minimal. The wing mirrors can be knocked off and the car can be damaged both back and front. The Number plates smash and when someone drives into the boot it sometimes breaks the seal and it opens a tiny bit. The game on the whole is superb and it is definitley my favourite racing game of all time.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:19
Regular
"accidental superher"
the damage on the cars is pretty minimal on PGR...i once tried a full on head collision when i was going the wrong way just to check out the damage...and came out of it with a very small dent...
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:09
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> not a single bit of damage appears on the cars.

Well, last time I played PGR, the cars got damaged. Look at the front of the car when you crash into something, the lights will be smashed and the bonnet will of been crushed a little....
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:03
Regular
Get PGR though don't expect the crashes to be any fun, not a single bit of damage appears on the cars.

No matter though as the game rocks.
Fri 18/04/03 at 16:17
Regular
You may aswell get Moto GP 2, that comes out next month (I think?!) but Project Gotham Racing 2 does'nt come out until 2004!

You may aswell get PGR, its only £20 :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.