GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Censorship"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/10 at 09:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
As seen in the news last week the UK film classification board the BBFC has demanded cuts to 2 new films,the remake of the notorious 1978 film I Spit On Your Grave and the very controversial A Serbian Film.There's a few questions I would be interested to hear people on here's views on.

A: Do you guys agree with their actions and agree we as need to be protected from this kind of material ?

B: Do you believe we should be able to legally obtain uncut versions of any film (as in the US where distributors can opt out of the classification process with an 'unrated release).

C: Do you believe the media have a question to answer,in the past they have jumped on bandwagons creating problems where there probably really weren't any.Some of the rubbish written in the tabloids last year about Modern Warfare 2 ( a game classified to be played by over 18's) was laughable IMO.

D: Do you think that in some cases film makers (and maybe some games manufacturers) are simply going too far in an attempt to shock and therefore create controversy.In most cases this creates publicity which the distributors could not buy.Obviously they need to stay on the right side of the Obscene Publications Act but is some material beginning to sail dangerously close to the line ?.

E: Do you think the BBFC is basically a joke ?.What really is the point of a UK only classification body when material available in other parts of the world can be so easily obtained these days ?

I would be interested to hear your views on this guys.But remember this is a family forum so going into any kind of detail on certain films can't really be done on here.
Sun 05/09/10 at 22:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
Not quite sure what the post below is about ? :S
Sun 05/09/10 at 13:12
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Simple as:
>
> Over 18 : Watch, play, listen to whatever you want.
>
> Under 18 : Up to your parent or guardian to enforce age
> restrictions on you. I've been playing 18's since I was about 9
> (first one ever was Carmegeddon) and I'm not messed up, much :D i am 9
Sun 05/09/10 at 12:34
Regular
"How Ironic"
Simple as:

Over 18 : Watch, play, listen to whatever you want.

Under 18 : Up to your parent or guardian to enforce age restrictions on you. I've been playing 18's since I was about 9 (first one ever was Carmegeddon) and I'm not messed up, much :D
Sun 05/09/10 at 12:01
Regular
As a 17 year old (soon to turn 18... tomorrow :D), for me the rating systems don't really make much of a difference. I know personally that I'm mature enough, more so than some that are older than 18 anyway. Obviously, however, there is a major difference between someone who is very close to the rating compared to a 9 year old playing or watching an 18 and I'd agree that is mostly the parent to blame when they are very young. Unfortunately, what could anyone do about it anyway? There's no sensible way of making sure only 18's or older play the game or watch a movie that wouldn't easily allow those younger do it too. So alas, I guess we will have to deal with high pitched voices on games for some time yet...

In reference to the media, I'd totally agree that they are responsible for a lot of the simply untrue information about games going about. Did you happen to see the article written about a (completely fictitious) version of Grand Theft Auto which IIRC was based on the life of Raoul Moat? (Curse my terrible memory if that is incorrect, but it was something like that). The writer had simply made it up from a very poorly photoshopped cover, even going so far as to use quotes taken out of context to support it. Sometimes it seems that some journalists are in an all out war with gaming, blaming it for everything for causing violence in younger people to starting the Haiti earthquake. The worst part, though, is that some people actually believe it because they have nothing else telling them otherwise.

Bah, I could carry on but I probably shouldn't. /rage
Sun 05/09/10 at 09:44
Regular
"I like turtles"
@ Highflyer Yeah,I pretty much agree with your answers.

I don't think the BBFC are useless either,I use their rating system quite often when deciding what films I should let my daughter see.In the case of one particular scene in A Serbian Film (I'm sure anyone who knows anything about the film knows what I'm referring to) I feel they probably had little choice but to act as they did.I haven't watched the film,don't intend to TBH but a good friend of mine has and said he really wished he hadn't.In the past I think some film makers have occasionally overstepped the mark,Cannibal Holocaust director Ruggero Deodato admitted it was 'stupid' to include the real animal killings in that film and said he regretted doing it.

In the case of games I think most people can determine these are not real.The media do a fantastic job of causing mass hysteria with their ill informed drivel,remember the Manhunt thing ?.All they really succeeded in doing was to give a pretty rubbish game (which would have probably sunk without a trace) a huge amount of publicity and in doing so made people want to play it to see what all the fuss was about.The thing about games is many players are far younger than the rating the game has been given.I was playing Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox live earlier this year and one (annoying !) child on the game stated he was only 9 years old.Can't really blame the BBFC for the actions of irresponsible parents.

The Unrated system,where a distributor can opt out of the classification system seems to have worked well enough for years in the US,maybe it should be looked at over here ?.As banning/heavily censoring work seems to be largely ineffective these days when uncut versions can be sourced so easily via other methods.
Sat 04/09/10 at 10:33
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
if your over 18 what matters :P
Sat 04/09/10 at 10:19
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
A) No, I don't believe that we particularly need to be shielded from the material of which the human mind can think of already. We have the obscene publications act to partially filter, and a ratings board for a reason.

B) Yes.

C) The media continue to have much to answer for, but the uneducated drivel that they continue to spout, especially over the gaming and chemical industries will likely never stop. As an industry, and one that is threatened by the likes of free news from the internet, it will continue to use home-made controversies to sell itself, not caring who it climbs upon to save itself. (I point towards the 2018 World Cup bid rubbish which got close to derailing the bid)

D) Yes, they probably are going too far in vary limited cases, but due to the interactivity of video games, I think that many of the things that the movie world can get away with, video games can't. I'm not sure how fair that is.

E) The BBFC isn't entirely useless, there are certain areas of the world in which what is suitable for certain ages is slightly different than what is considered over here. Maybe it's just too easy to get different area content nowadays.
Sat 04/09/10 at 09:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
As seen in the news last week the UK film classification board the BBFC has demanded cuts to 2 new films,the remake of the notorious 1978 film I Spit On Your Grave and the very controversial A Serbian Film.There's a few questions I would be interested to hear people on here's views on.

A: Do you guys agree with their actions and agree we as need to be protected from this kind of material ?

B: Do you believe we should be able to legally obtain uncut versions of any film (as in the US where distributors can opt out of the classification process with an 'unrated release).

C: Do you believe the media have a question to answer,in the past they have jumped on bandwagons creating problems where there probably really weren't any.Some of the rubbish written in the tabloids last year about Modern Warfare 2 ( a game classified to be played by over 18's) was laughable IMO.

D: Do you think that in some cases film makers (and maybe some games manufacturers) are simply going too far in an attempt to shock and therefore create controversy.In most cases this creates publicity which the distributors could not buy.Obviously they need to stay on the right side of the Obscene Publications Act but is some material beginning to sail dangerously close to the line ?.

E: Do you think the BBFC is basically a joke ?.What really is the point of a UK only classification body when material available in other parts of the world can be so easily obtained these days ?

I would be interested to hear your views on this guys.But remember this is a family forum so going into any kind of detail on certain films can't really be done on here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.