GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aliens: Could they exist?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/08/10 at 21:43
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Last year I watched a program about how we came into existance, and it got me thinking about the possibility of life in other galaxies.

Without going into too much 'boring' detail, billions of years ago Earth used to have a sister planet, and at some point, both planets collided which tilted Earth on it's axis, and also destroyed the sister planet. But from the debris of this event the Moon was formed.

Then through millions of years of evolution, life started to form as the Moon created the tides and the Sun provided the heat required to create this new life.

So without this 'chance' chain of events, would life as we know it even be possible at all?

If the answer to that question is no, then how would it be possible for life to exist anywhere else in this galaxy, let alone others, as what happened to Earth was very unique?

So is it possible that life exists elsewhere through a similar chain of events occuring, or are we actually alone as a result of some freak occurances, which has put Earth in the optimal position in relation to the Sun and Moon for life to exist?
Wed 01/09/10 at 20:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Good point HM, but I thought everybody was an avid supporter of
> Erich von Däniken and his book .... Chariots of the Gods
> :¬))
>
> Pfft....David Icke ftw!! :)

You really do take the biscuit at times Garin.....David Icke's reptilian theory has no connection with von Daniken's at all....both crack pots, but not connected.....and it was a 'laff', 'don'tch ya know' :¬DDDDDD
Wed 01/09/10 at 16:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
I like people's idea that for one Aliens would know we exist in the first place to decide to 'experiment' or 'communicate' with us.

Secondly, that they'd have the exist same mechanisms as the ones that we use (landing legs, landing lights)

Thirdly, their spacecraft would be made of metal that was made using the same methods as we use, despite coming from a completely different environment.

Fourthly, most-alien hype comes from America (no offence to any americans-all countries have stupid people in). This is an example of what some of the people who make these claims actually know about our world, nevermind any other world.

If that doesn't kill the current stereotype of aliens, then get your laser guns out....
Wed 01/09/10 at 11:22
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
pb wrote:

> The one major thing that has changed over the last 20 years is
> the movement of people who believe the sightings are actual Alien
> visitors in brightly coloured spacecraft. It's pretty sensible
> to assume that if Aliens were to visit us and didn't want to draw
> attention to themselves they would not put big colourful flashing
> lights on as they got near the ground.

Why is it sensible? Surely that is attaching our understanding of light to a ‘brightly coloured spaceship’? Maybe those lights are considered very dim to any aliens in the craft.

I do believe that there is life elsewhere even if it is non-sentient.

Maybe we do get visited by other life forms who consider that we are ‘not ready’ for the realities of space travel but, there again, maybe they consider us in the same way that we view microscopic life. Maybe they are waiting for us to wipe ourselves out…

The belief in alien visitors is projecting the human desire to explore the universe onto other sentient life forms and a belief that any other sentient life forms would also have the same desire.

Throw in the concept of a multiverse and the odds of life increase substantially.
Wed 01/09/10 at 10:45
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
HM wrote:
>
> What were everyone's opinions on that UFO spotted over the
> Chinese airport in July?

they were peckish and thought it was a drive-through?
Wed 01/09/10 at 09:20
"possibly impossible"
Having studied the subject over the years, there are a lot of theories about sightings and alien visitors, not all of them obvious to those who just base their knowledge on newspapers and TV.

The one major thing that has changed over the last 20 years is the movement of people who believe the sightings are actual Alien visitors in brightly coloured spacecraft. It's pretty sensible to assume that if Aliens were to visit us and didn't want to draw attention to themselves they would not put big colourful flashing lights on as they got near the ground.

The other thing which has taken the movement away is the constant debunking of popular UFO footage and photos using modern methods to examine the media more closely. Some of the most famous UFO pictures have been shown to be either faked or just pictures of something else (Venus and clouds being the two most popular).

But while some things have left popular culture others have filled the gap, certain stories the X-files TV show in the 90's was based on the idea of government experiments and cover-ups thought to be going on at the time and since the 50's (some of which have now been found to be true). These, in turn, brought a new wave to Ufology who were interested in the same sort of events.

Other aspects of Ufology, the Men In Black for instance, originally brought to the public's attention through the Mothman Prophesies novel, have been popularised and turned into entertainment. But if these 'people' (some believe them to be some sort of elaborate android or alien lifeform posing as human but not quite getting it right) are real then it's a pretty scary prospect.

Unlike Spirits/ghosts, Aliens are a scientific possibility and even top scientists believe that life may well exist on other planets, most likely outside of our own solar system. As there are plenty of other planets circling other suns, possibly in the same position as our planet with similar conditions for life, it's an idea which cannot be easily dismissed. Whether they could be advanced enough to find our planet and have the resources to keep visiting us without detection is another matter entirely.

So 'do aliens exist?' is really a pre-cursor to a whole universe of questions about our understanding and pre-conceptions of the rest of the universe.
Tue 31/08/10 at 22:46
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Good point HM, but I thought everybody was an avid supporter of
> Erich von Däniken and his book .... Chariots of the Gods
> :¬))

Pfft....David Icke ftw!! :)
Tue 31/08/10 at 18:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
HM wrote:
> No posting that on my wall now Chris... :p
>
> @DL: As with my work, how credible is the evidence already
> gathered. I think proof of extraterrestrial life will be harder
> to obtain absolute proof on than ghosts due to
> "cover-ups" and the fact our military ("our"
> as in the planet's collective military) is producing some
> strange and futuristic-looking warcraft, it will be hard to be
> sure if it is manmade or not! Give the release of the Moller
> Skycar in the next few years and UFO reports will skyrocket :p
>
> What were everyone's opinions on that UFO spotted over the
> Chinese airport in July?

Good point HM, but I thought everybody was an avid supporter of Erich von Däniken and his book .... Chariots of the Gods :¬))

However, regarding 'military and Government' cover-ups, the one that has always intrigued me was the Rendlesham Forest Incident :¬)
Tue 31/08/10 at 10:41
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
No posting that on my wall now Chris... :p

@DL: As with my work, how credible is the evidence already gathered. I think proof of extraterrestrial life will be harder to obtain absolute proof on than ghosts due to "cover-ups" and the fact our military ("our" as in the planet's collective military) is producing some strange and futuristic-looking warcraft, it will be hard to be sure if it is manmade or not! Give the release of the Moller Skycar in the next few years and UFO reports will skyrocket :p

What were everyone's opinions on that UFO spotted over the Chinese airport in July?
Mon 30/08/10 at 21:28
Regular
"How Ironic"
*cue the X Files music* Dooododododododo Boop boop boop doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-dooooooo doododododod boop boop boop

Yeh it sounds better if you listen to it.
Mon 30/08/10 at 21:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Could they exist? Yes they could.
>
> Any reliable or genuine evidence? No.

Are you sure....?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.