GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conflict Desert Storm..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Conflict Desert Storm'.
Fri 18/04/03 at 15:36
Regular
I've been interested in this as u can have 4 players doing co-op and that sounds too good to be true but where's the reviews?!
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:24
Regular
"CHEESE RACING!!!!!"
fine then
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:25
Regular
I have played the Xbox version and I wished that I had picked it up at the time of release. This summer I will pick the game up for the GameCube probably so it is one to look forward to.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:35
Regular
I played the demo for the Xbox version last year sometime.

T'was extremely addicitive (even though I only played one level) and involved loads of strategy, which is good!

Seeing as the game is coming out on the GC, with an updated graphics engine and a few extras, I might buy it, along with Hitman 2 of course.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:39
Regular
Alastair you might be intrested in this, it's all the updates the Cube version has had since the PS2 and Xbox versions where released.

ARTIFICIAL INTELIGENCE
Enemies now remember where they last saw a player. This means that they will now look for you where you were last seen.

Enemies will not spot player characters as easily if they are partly obscured. If you hide behind a crate with just your head exposed the enemy is now less likely to spot you, before if any part of your character was exposed for the enemy to see the enemy would spot you as easily as if you were out in the open.

Both enemies and non player controlled characters now have the ability to run backwards to avoid incoming grenades and characters, although this was active in earlier versions of Conflict: Desert Storm the characters reaction time was very slow and they normally died before it became apparent that they were backing off.

Enemies can now run backwards and strafe while targeting you, before enemies became confused and their behaviour seemed unrealistic if you got too close to them, they now simply continue to shoot you while backing off.

Enemies can now communicate with each other. If one enemy spots a player character he can inform nearby enemies of your location or just make them aware that there is an intruder in the vicinity which will promote an enemy investigation. In previous versions this was not possible and the player would effectively deal with one enemy at a time, occasionally the player would engage the enemy while surrounding enemies were unaware of any nearby combat.

Enemies are now sentient and can now selectively change targets on the fly, this allows the enemy to consider all visible targets and pick the greatest threat or an easier kill. This has a dramatic effect to game-play where an enemy can switch targets and change tactics on the fly, before the enemy would only swap targets after it had been destroyed and was no-longer a threat.

The enemies now perform guided search patterns and actually hunt you down! This is influenced by memory (where they last saw you), sight and sound. This translates into really engaging game-play as it is now possible for the user to trick or distract the enemy. Previously the enemy would always know where you were and would route directly to you, the enemy will now chase you in and out of buildings and around obstacles!

The enemies now acquire and drop targets much faster than before, this makes the enemy appear much sharper whereas they seemed quite slow and unresponsive before.

When enemies hunt the player they spread out and look in different areas opposed to all looking in the same place, this gives the impression of a thorough organised search party and minimises the effect of a player ambush.

Non player controlled characters now use grenades much more effectively, previously this had to be restricted as they would often blow up their own team mates. This now works really well and the player can often observe his team throwing grenades to take out the enemy.

GAME PLAY
The vision range for the player-controlled character has been reduced in length and is now narrower. This prevents your characters from auto targeting enemies that are not in the immediate view port. Before, your character would quite often be running forwards while tracking an enemy target at 90°.

If the user wanted to restart a game level for any reason, usually because they’ve lost one of their key characters or wasted valuable weaponry they would have to kill their remaining characters and reload the entire level. It is now possible to instantly restart the current game level from the pause menu.

The player characters strafe has been sped up. Before, the characters strafing was subject to slow acceleration which proved cumbersome and ineffective and actually negated the real need for a strafing movement.

All weapons can now be fired while running. Before certain weapons like the heavy machine gun could only be fired while static, now it is possible to run while giving suppressing fire support.

When in first person mode the amount of scope wobble is dependent on character movement speed. Before the scope just wobbled if your character was moving, this encourages players to choose between remaining static and making an accurate shot whilst being an easy enemy target or shooting inaccurately while on the move and a harder target for the enemy.

A new targeting reticule reflects the players accuracy, when running the player is very inaccurate, when standing they are better but not as good as when they are kneeling, the player is most accurate when prone, this information is indicated by the tightening of the reticule.

The player controlled characters now accelerate and decelerate much quicker for better responsiveness. This eliminates the feeling of ‘lag’ between moving the game controls and seeing a response on screen. The constant running speed has also been keyed much closer to the animation to reduce ‘moon walking’ characters.

The Go Loud command has been modified so that the non player controlled characters now only fire if they acquire a target that is a threat, before they would shoot on sight.

PERFORMANCE
The AI has been balanced to use processor time more efficiently, before this was a huge overhead but time has allowed this to be optimised to prevent a loss in frame rate. Also, the AI now uses a consistent % of the machines power opposed to peaks and troughs that have a dramatic effect the frame rate.

Large explosions no longer cause a slow down in frame rate, this was very apparent in previous versions and this code has now been optimised to eliminate this problem.

The routing code has been overhauled and is consequentially much more efficient which results in a much smaller delay before the non player controlled characters set off.

In general much of the engine and game code has been optimised for efficiency, this has allowed us to incorporate a four player co-operative game on the GameCube with a greater draw distance and better frame rate than previous versions.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:41
Regular
Didn't realise that was so long. Before anyone says that I was trying to raise my word count i'd like to say f--- off, I couldn't give a s--- about my stats.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:47
Regular
The improved AI and Graphics Engine makes the game sound more appealing, as the graphics on the Xbox version were'nt that good.
Fri 18/04/03 at 19:52
Regular
4 player co-op mode is the main draw of the game, that's gonna kick a hell of a lot of backside.
Fri 18/04/03 at 22:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
4 player co-op and improved on my previous experiance of the game?

*adss to list*
Sat 19/04/03 at 00:17
Regular
Cheers Tilta! I will just have a read through that now and see what else there is for the GC version.
Sat 19/04/03 at 00:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Didn't realise that was so long. Before anyone says that I was trying
> to raise my word count i'd like to say f--- off, I couldn't give a
> s--- about my stats.

One of the few people i believe is telling the truth.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.