GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Move and Kinect"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/10 at 11:34
"possibly impossible"
Both systems have now been shown on various trade shows (E3 and Gamescom) and have varied feedback, with Move coming off slightly better at times.

Is anyone here going to get either of these? Do you think this is the way forward for controlling games or just a sideline to gain casual gamers support for the more expensive consoles over the Wii?

As it stands the details so far are:
Kinect uses a bunch of special low resolution cameras and microphone to determine a 3D space and display either a person or a representation (as an avatar) on screen. It allows voice control and is mainly controlled by software.

Move uses a single HD camera and microphone set-up in conjunction to a controller and optional sub controller (both wireless) to determine a 3D space and display the user on screen. The glowing ball on the controller can be used to provide a graphical display of situations (different modes etc) and the microphone can accept voice control navigation.

Despite the differing tech, the 2 systems provide very similar results, with the main difference being the controller-less abilities of the Kinect compared to the tactile controllers of the Move.

Since both use software, you can expect updates and additions to the system from developers and MS/Sony themselves.
Thu 26/08/10 at 16:21
Regular
"Mooching around"
Really want the day to come when this motion sensing fad ends. Motion sensing controls, at least for me and my gang of friends, make games far less immersive.

This is mainly due to the total lack of reactions to what you're doing. When you play boxing, when you hit or get hit often a controller will provide vibration feedback. When you flail your hands around like a jackass you get nothing in way of reaction, save your neighbours trying to section you.
Thu 26/08/10 at 08:49
Regular
I prefer non-motion controls. So, unless there's a very good game coming out that specifically requires Kinect, I wont be bothering.

As Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc on the Wii have proven, not everybody prefers motion controls and having the option to play games using the classic style pads is certainly something I'd like to see in all appropriate motion controlled games.
Wed 25/08/10 at 17:42
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I think I'm just old fashioned, neither of these things interest me at all. I got a Wii for my daughter and I hardly play it because I find all that motion sensitive stuff annoying. I just prefer a normal control pad, or a good steering wheel and pedals.
Wed 25/08/10 at 13:55
Regular
"And in last place.."
I've yet to see something from either offering which would make me consider buying them. And at the price of Kinect, it would need to be something spectacular.
Wed 25/08/10 at 13:44
"possibly impossible"
I think the fact that their initial games will be things like Socom and Sorcery show that it's more than just a Wii.

The PS3 hardware handles a lot more of the work and the motion controls can be added to far more complicated games.
Wed 25/08/10 at 13:41
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I have little interest in getting Move for my system, like INS says it's via 'Wii-ish'. Besides, if I am looking for motion sensitive or gimmicky games I'll power up my Wii!
Wed 25/08/10 at 13:39
"possibly impossible"
The Move is far more accurate than the Wii remote as it uses 3D space (it can tell if you're standing further or nearer to the TV as well as what you are doing with your arms and it also has true 1:1 tracking.

It costs £50 for the one wand and camera, though, you'd probably need at least a sub-controller (£15) and then another wand (£30) and subcontroller for each additional player.

Kinect is £120 and that's it, but at the monent journalists are still saying that there's too much lag in the movement. It has plenty of time to get rid of this before release though, where as Move is coming out next month.
Wed 25/08/10 at 13:27
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I saw the Move being demonstrated on Something For The Weekend and my initial reaction to it was "it's a Wii^^"

First time I've heard of the Kinect. Sounds like initial steps into a true world of virtual reality from your description. May have to read up some more on this unit.

As the Move retails for approx. £50.00 it is also a way on ensuring that people who've considered getting a Wii, to participate in that type of gameplay, would probably go for this as a cheaper option for the console that they already own.
Wed 25/08/10 at 11:34
"possibly impossible"
Both systems have now been shown on various trade shows (E3 and Gamescom) and have varied feedback, with Move coming off slightly better at times.

Is anyone here going to get either of these? Do you think this is the way forward for controlling games or just a sideline to gain casual gamers support for the more expensive consoles over the Wii?

As it stands the details so far are:
Kinect uses a bunch of special low resolution cameras and microphone to determine a 3D space and display either a person or a representation (as an avatar) on screen. It allows voice control and is mainly controlled by software.

Move uses a single HD camera and microphone set-up in conjunction to a controller and optional sub controller (both wireless) to determine a 3D space and display the user on screen. The glowing ball on the controller can be used to provide a graphical display of situations (different modes etc) and the microphone can accept voice control navigation.

Despite the differing tech, the 2 systems provide very similar results, with the main difference being the controller-less abilities of the Kinect compared to the tactile controllers of the Move.

Since both use software, you can expect updates and additions to the system from developers and MS/Sony themselves.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.