GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FIFA11"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FIFA 11'.
Thu 19/08/10 at 12:33
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
No doubt this will set records again once it is released on October 1st, it surprises me there have been no threads about this yet.

From all the hype and blurb released so far, it seems the big changes this year include an update to the passing system, making it more 'skill based', improved player personality and goalkeeping plus the option to turn on handballs.

If the handball option is done properly it could turn out to be a great addition.

Although, personally I wont be buying this straight off as Football Manager is due to be released around the same, along with the WoW expansion.

Gameplay Trailer
Personality+ Trailer
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:24
Regular
"How Ironic"
I know what you mean HM. NHL 11 looks to become a crime of this. They've introduced stick breaks. Stick breaks don't happen very often in hockey (depending on how rough the game is) maybe once every 3 games? It looks as though it will happen every game in NHL 11.

I don't understand this handball feature in FIFA 11 though. For realism purposes, it's a good idea. But surely it just happens in the game, without the player being able to prevent it? Seems abit unfair.
Mon 20/09/10 at 13:43
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
So I downloaded the FIFA11 demo last week and it surprised me how much had actually changed, I was expecting a re-skinning of WC2010. The gameplay feels much changed and the new passing system is an improvement to the 'ping-pong' feel of passing in the last few games, but is going to take some getting used to.

The inclusion of a controllable goalkeeper in the 'loading' screen is a nice touch for two-player games, before our first game we probably spent about 20 minutes taking shots at each other.

The collision engine feels a lot better now, fouling players gives a much better animation (such as catching their trailing leg) and jumping into one another at corners.

My main gripe so far is the difficulty in scoring, it may be because of the 3 minutes halves, but both myself and my mate found it incredibly difficult to score. Through all 5 of the games we played, we only scored 1 goal a-piece.

Still, I still wont be buying this on release as FM11 and Cataclysm are taking priority. Will be interested to see what others make of it on release though.
Mon 20/09/10 at 14:41
Regular
"And in last place.."
I tried the demo for this and Pro Evo over the weekend. I took to FIFA 11 right away because it felt quite familiar, I'm sure there are a few changes under the hood but it felt quite similar to FIFA 10. I romped it on Beginner so then tried the next level and can't score at all. In fact I can barely get a shot in.

I don't get the penalties. If I don't put the ball down the middle then I'm putting it right past the post of straight over the bar regardless of how little I move the stick and the power I put on. Perhaps I'm just useless.

Pro Evo felt harder but part of that is down to not being familar with it and also the different button layout, lofted pass and shoot are swapped about. I did manage a goal though!

In 2 minds about whether to bother with either.
Mon 20/09/10 at 16:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
Penalties are extremely difficult, but I like them. It takes some practice. In the arena, turn the 'target' on (left trigger I think). Land in the green zone. On the run up, position the blue circle (as you get further towards the edge, the circle's movement will speed up, so to mimic the difficulty of placing in the corners). If you press shoot again during the run up, your player will slow down and you can 're-aim' the shot.

I also tried Pro Evo 11. I actually enjoyed Pro Evo's gameplay more, but overall, for graphics, realism and particularly passing & shooting, FIFA 11 wins for me.

*EDIT* @Dav - I had the exact same problem with the crossing/shooting. And the fact that slide tackle is 'B' just boggles my mind!
Mon 20/09/10 at 16:09
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
In regards to penalties, they completely changed the system in World Cup 2010, and included about 3 helpful demos in how to use it. These seem to be missing from the demo, so I'm not surprised you struggled.

This will no doubt be included in the main game
Mon 20/09/10 at 16:24
Regular
"And in last place.."
Thanks for the info guys. I shall revist the penalites at some point soon... every game I play on Intermediate finishes at 0-0 and it's penalties every time.

And I agree, Pro Evo falls behind on the visuals.
Tue 21/09/10 at 20:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
Just had my first in-match penalty shootout, and the penalties are ridiculous. Why can't they give you the reticule from the arena? It's already hard enough with it, without it, you just have to aim for the middle and hope for the best.

Becoming less impressed with FIFA 11 the more I try the demo. Too many misplaced passes for my liking, the gameplay is very groggy and slow and so much for this personality feature! Drogba couldn't sprint past Pique! Pique's good, but he's nowhere near as fast as Drogba!

Have to say, despite the fact that I've played FIFA all my life, I am extremely impressed with the Pro Evo 11 demo. If they could get the proper licensing, I'd probably buy it over FIFA. Although I want to play Goalkeeper mode. I hate EA >:(
Wed 22/09/10 at 22:06
Regular
"How Ironic"
Uploaded a FIFA/PES comparison. Was originally HD, but was taking hours to upload to YouTube, so I've made the quality a bit worse. You can still see the gameplay clearly for each game though. Enjoy!

FIFA 11 vs PES 11
Thu 23/09/10 at 11:36
Regular
I've played both demos a fair amount and I've got to say I'm really not that impressed with FIFA. To be fair, I was never going to buy FIFA 11 anyway (too many real life injuries have been caused by FIFA 10), but I totally agree with SC's complaints below.

Pro Evo looked a tad better IMO, just got to get used to square being shoot when 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I'll stick with FM11 this year for my football gaming fix.
Thu 23/09/10 at 14:13
Regular
"How Ironic"
We Xbox 360 players (Me and HM) don't have a valid opinion McLong ;D

I think I'll be getting FIFA 11 anyway to get me through the year. It's the first FIFA I've ever had to reconsider getting though. Really think that if Pro Evo can start implementing some of FIFA's features (they're bound to move in on the goalkeeper mode- they'll probably see how well it works for FIFA 11 first) and also, as said below, getting proper licenses, Pro Evo would win hands down. And of course changing the cross and shoot buttons round.

Other games in the pipeline:
F1 2010 (probably won't get, but am tempted)
NHL 11 (not too much different from NHL 10)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (will probably see it's reception first before buying, as Modern Warfare 2 is just aweful. At the moment I'm not impressed with it, looks like MW2 with a few extra weapons like the crossbow. Too gimicky for me.)

Nothing leaps out at me personally.

*EDIT* Before anyone mentions it, I don't play Halo, so that's off the cards :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.