GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2 ports good, 4 ports bad...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
How many people have *honestly* had a problem with the PS1/2 only having 2 controller ports?

How many people here use their DC/N64 with 4 players more than 2?

Why is this such a downside to the Sony machines? You have to buy a tap to have 4 players? Personally, I haven't played a 4 player game since Micro Machines on the Megadrive.

Let's dispel this for once and for all.

Firstly, how about the fact that you could have 2 multitaps and have 8 player games? How cool would it be to have a footy game where almost every player is human controlled? You couldnt have that on a DC/N64, could you!

"Oh, but they are so expensive!" you cry.

Actually, it's cheaper to play 4 player on a PS1/2 than either of the other machines.

4 PS2 pads are £80, and the tap is £20. Total: £100.
4 DC pads are £80, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £116.
4 N64 pads are £92, 4 rumble packs are £36. Total: £128.

(all prices are from SR)

This has never been an issue for PS1/2 owners. People who want 4 player can get it. The only people that bring this up are Nintys and Segats (whatever they are called). It's just a shame they are in fact, losing on this one.

Any more arguments anyone else would like to prove wrong while we are here?
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:59
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Your Honour wrote:
A few weeks ago, you must have missed it.

:-P

You know what's really depressing? I have no idea if you're joking or not
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:57
( pod people style screech)

SPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!

jk.

I didnt notice that change actually.
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:55
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Changing the topic completely for a miniute (just try and stop me)....

When
> did the 'open forums' title change to 'chat rooms'?

A few weeks ago, you must have missed it.

:-P
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Changing the topic completely for a miniute (just try and stop me)....

When did the 'open forums' title change to 'chat rooms'?
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:50
The multitap makes alot of extra wires, so it makes things needlessly messy.
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:49
Regular
Wookiee, question for you then:

If Sony aren't ripping us off, why don't thet release a USB controller?

That way four people could play, without needing to spend out for a multi-tap!
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Animal Farm quote there as title...

I should know I'm spending all night doing essay on it.

I also believe it was the sheep thaaaaaat saaaaid thaaaat!
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:45
"High polygon count"
But if you have regular 4-player games, then you and your mates can split the cost of a multitap... which makes it even less of an issue!
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
But me mateys. We have mates yea? They have either a DC, PS2, PSX, or DC. Most of them anyway. N64 people usually play with other N64 people. They always brought their control round my house. All they did was just plug it in and we were away on 4-Player gaming.

Sony peeps however have it different. They all bring their controls around right? 2 Ports. No 4-Player gaming. Unless someone buys a multi-tap yea? But. Again. There were not many 4 player games on PSX and not exactly loads on PS2.
N64 though, is built for either 1 Player or 4 Player.

SO HEH. 4 PORTS GOOD ;o)
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
I really prefer 4 ports on a console and Sony should have picked up on it before the released of PS2. Surprisingly, they didn't - quite a silly mistake really. However, this may have bumped the cost of the console up - I don't know. I am always playing 4 player games, with my sister, my brother and whenever I go to see my cousins. I think that consoles which have 4 player as standard have an advantage over 2 player ones, an advantage that nobody else seems to notice except myself.

Firebalt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.