GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Inception review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/07/10 at 12:17
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Let me just start by saying that Christopher Nolan is a living legend. His use of what I can only describe his “Vivid Imagination” is exquisite making every film he does stand out from the crowd and really grab you, making you pay attention to every detail. He is what makes Inception an absolute stormer of a film, one that since watching I have been questioning myself and life and I don’t normally think in a philosophical way so well done Mr Nolan.

I really want to go into the films details but wont as I do not wish to ruin it for everyone else as I really suggest you go and watch this for yourself.

The general premise of Inception is the ability to affect dreams, control dreams and the power of your own sub conscious. Without giving too much away as the concept of the power of dreams has been studied and discussed for centuries but this film makes it seem realistic in a strange way.

As in other Christopher Nolan films the way he gets his message across is powerful, extremely pleasing on the eye and mouth dropping in effects. From anti gravity fight scenes, to moving scenery this film really is something. I remember the first time I saw Bullet time in the Matrix, I was absolutely stunned. This film has made me feel the same.

The cast is great and perfect for the film, Leonardo Di Caprio is brilliant, his Character is dark with lots of secrets and he portrays this perfectly. Ellen Page (Juno) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays their parts well but the standout performance is that of Tom Hardy. He plays every part differently and his grasp of accents is brilliant.

The film itself is slightly on the long side, lasting almost 2 and a half hours but unlike Titanic, the last Twilight film and Dances with Wolves this doesn’t feel like it. Christopher Nolan is clever in his creation of this film, he makes it bright, big, loud and full of action for the everyday action film lover but then there is the very analytical psycho aspect that makes the intellectual viewer think. This film will become one of your favourite films, and Inception is exactly what has been done to every single person who has watched this film. As you will talk, think and discuss this film, just how they wanted.

10/10
GO WATCH IT!!
Tue 20/07/10 at 14:10
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and for that reason people should go see it. I didn't go into this film with any preconception. I didn't even see a trailer for this film before I saw it.

At first I had the similar opinion to yourself regarding the ending that it was predictable but now that I have thought about it I think that the ending was the best possible outcome as it allows you to discuss the possibilities. If they had just given either A or B instead of C for the ending then there would be no further discussion, no debate and the film would of been forgotten. This was probably Nolan's reasoning.

You can't really blame DiCaprio for the character choice etc, thats the way it was written. Yes both Characters have mental problems, have a dead wife, 2 kids, unsure of reality etc but Inception has been a concept since early 2000 so thats just merely a coincidence i'm sure.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this film as like I said in my review, I don't normally do the pyschoanalytical films etc but I was dragged along and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Its just a shame that you didn't Butch.
Tue 20/07/10 at 13:37
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I really can't understand why people liked this film so much, I can only assume that they are the ones that believed the hype surrounding it and based their judgements upon that.

Firstly, the film was way too long, a good 30-45 minutes could have been removed without affecting the narrative. A couple of friends and I had lost interest way before the 'climax' of the film.

Whilst I agree that the film is visually spectacular, the effects used during certain 'dream scenes' were particularly good, and the concept is fairly original, it was trying to be too clever for it's own good. The level of complication they tried to wedge into the film was needless and seems to only have been added to either; a) claim to be a sci-fi film, b) distract from the weak plot and sub-par acting or c) confuse people into thinking they are watching something deep and meaningful. Not to mention the whole different levels of dreams seems a rip-off of 'The Gloom' in Sergey Lukyanenko 'Watch' series, except done in a half-baked manner.

Di Caprio basically plays the same character he played in Shutter Island, with the same mental hangups, 5 o'clock shadow and 'I'm secretly hiding something crazy' mannerisms, the girl from Juno was highly irritating and unbelievable as an architect and there was no reason whatsoever for Michael Caine to be in the film. The film also gave me no desire to grow emotionally attached to any character and, as such, events toward the end (and mostly during) the film seemed like pointless filler.

On that note, without wanting to spoil it for people, the ending was painfully obvious from seeing the trailers and three-quarters of the film was leading up to it and seemed to not be a surprise to all but 5% of the cinema.

In my opinion, Nolan should go back to writing psychological thrillers and stay away from films of this genre.

In summary, I had the choice of seeing this or Predators, in hindsight I wish I had gone with my gut and not wasted two-and-a-half hours of my Sunday night and instead watched some blokes get destroyed by camouflaged aliens.
Tue 20/07/10 at 12:17
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Let me just start by saying that Christopher Nolan is a living legend. His use of what I can only describe his “Vivid Imagination” is exquisite making every film he does stand out from the crowd and really grab you, making you pay attention to every detail. He is what makes Inception an absolute stormer of a film, one that since watching I have been questioning myself and life and I don’t normally think in a philosophical way so well done Mr Nolan.

I really want to go into the films details but wont as I do not wish to ruin it for everyone else as I really suggest you go and watch this for yourself.

The general premise of Inception is the ability to affect dreams, control dreams and the power of your own sub conscious. Without giving too much away as the concept of the power of dreams has been studied and discussed for centuries but this film makes it seem realistic in a strange way.

As in other Christopher Nolan films the way he gets his message across is powerful, extremely pleasing on the eye and mouth dropping in effects. From anti gravity fight scenes, to moving scenery this film really is something. I remember the first time I saw Bullet time in the Matrix, I was absolutely stunned. This film has made me feel the same.

The cast is great and perfect for the film, Leonardo Di Caprio is brilliant, his Character is dark with lots of secrets and he portrays this perfectly. Ellen Page (Juno) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays their parts well but the standout performance is that of Tom Hardy. He plays every part differently and his grasp of accents is brilliant.

The film itself is slightly on the long side, lasting almost 2 and a half hours but unlike Titanic, the last Twilight film and Dances with Wolves this doesn’t feel like it. Christopher Nolan is clever in his creation of this film, he makes it bright, big, loud and full of action for the everyday action film lover but then there is the very analytical psycho aspect that makes the intellectual viewer think. This film will become one of your favourite films, and Inception is exactly what has been done to every single person who has watched this film. As you will talk, think and discuss this film, just how they wanted.

10/10
GO WATCH IT!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.