GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rage against the corporate machine."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 13:09
Regular
Does the business side of the videogame industry hamper innovation. The only company I know that strives to innovate is Nintendo, but thats because they have a prestigious reputation and a large bank balance.
Mon 19/11/01 at 15:21
Regular
Jonman wrote:
And don't buy ridiculous sequal cash cows,
> Yes, I'm looking at you WWF and FIFA.

................and Pokémon
Mon 19/11/01 at 15:19
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Does the business side of the videogame industry hamper innovation. The only
> company I know that strives to innovate is Nintendo, but thats because they have
> a prestigious reputation and a large bank balance.

Hmmm. Sweeping statement? Yes.

Look, there's innovation all over the gaming industry, but as has been quite rightly pointed out below, it's a business. And the sad truth is that in a business, you seek to maximise profit, while minimising risk. Innovation is by it's very nature, risky. You're doing something that's not been done before, so there's no way to tell what the market's reaction to it will be. Following tried and tested patterns that guarantee revenue is the way to please your shareholders, which is the final aim of any company (well, any one with shareholders i.e. the big publishers and hardware boys).

So innovation, schminovation. I wish there was more of it, but there isn't. Deal with it.

And don't buy ridiculous sequal cash cows, Yes, I'm looking at you WWF and FIFA.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't care. Do I look like I care? I don't. So there.

Game: Acting cooooooooool!
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:34
Regular
Sony didn't buy Polyphony Digital.....

Polyphony Digital is a department within SCEI, just to let you know :D
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:32
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Shiggsy isn't the only 'GOD' at Nintendo. Goodness knows Nintendo would be mega fmucked is Chris Stamper wasn't around. Nintendo is a very wide company, they span the globe and have developers everywhere. They didn't even invent Pokémon, they just threw cash at Game Freak (?) and took the franchise and ran with it.

I have to hand it to him, Shigssy is THE MAN of the industry, but then again there are people who are just as innovative. I think Yu Suzuki has just as much talent, but he couldn't really show it through the DC because of the target market.

Believe me, I love Shigssy as much as the next guy, but when Kojima, Suzuki, Shigssy and Iwata (?Kirby Designer?) are all making a gamecube game from scratch, I don't think the other three will be too far behind.

Sony aren't innovative one bit... Nintendo have Rare (Built Up [Early Enough]) EAD (Built Up) NST (Built Up)... all Sony do is buy companieslike Naughty Dog and Polyphony Digital etc. Microsoft are just as Bad... I'm not saying Nintendo don't do it - but compared to the other two, they're the most innovative out of the lot, and that's why people get the impression that they're 'the knight in shining armour'

Game
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:19
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
OK, lets end it there, a truce. I've got a class soon and won't be able to log on again till Thursday. It's just as well.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:17
Regular
Yes, but no one who will have the same impact as Shigsy, no one who will be able to do what he can, all they will be able to do is change stuff he has already done......

And in the end, it doesn't really matter, it's about whether you are entertained by the games or not.....
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:12
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Nintendo CAN survive without Shigs. He is the main drive behind Nintendo but even if he were to go, the Hardcore following would remain. And there are plenty of other innovators at Nintendo. Shigs didn't design the Game boy, some other guy did. Admitedly he isn't of huge use to Nintendo as he died in a car crash but there is a lot of fresh talent emerging.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:09
Regular
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shigsy makes innovative games............

He just happens to be on the pay role at Nintendo...

If he worked at Sony, then Nintendo wouldn't be squat....

When Shigsy goes, Nintendo will die too........

Shigeru Myamoto is a legend in his own right, he is the main man in computer games design, and he has the respect of gamers and game developers worldwide. When you talk of the reputation and innovation of Nintendo, you are talking about one man, Shigeru Myamoto, not Nintendo as a whole....
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:05
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
I don't walk round in a daze thinking Nintendo are the heros of Videogames (well, I do walk round in a daze I admit). They are there to make money but what I'm saying is there products are a class above the rest and because of their reputation, make innovate, classic games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.