GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Attitude towards newbies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 10:50
Regular
I hate to bring this up again but, like MJswerve said "Newbies need a second chance" some of your attitudes towards certain newbies and in some cases even regualrs, it's just horrific. Like for instants if a newbie posts a topic to try and win GAD you always manage to find something wrong with the topic like spellling mistakes and things like that then you let 'em have it.

Or if someone posted a review in the topics forums because they couldn't find it anywhare in the database you do the same thing. Even spammers have to have a second chance. I admit I was a spammer when I first joined and I regret it, but I was given a second chance by two certain members of this site you could say they were my role models. and I learned that if I posted completely useles topics they would get ingored and if I osted good topics I got some decent replies.

That's the way you need to treat spammers not by being horrible or unfair. If you ingore them they might come up with something decent if they learn the way I did.
Some poeple may even be special needs so how do you think they feel when you are mean to them.

So what I'm saying is stop this attitude you have towards newbies and spammers and give them a second chance.
Mon 19/11/01 at 10:50
"I hate that!!!"
I hate to bring this up again but, like MJswerve said "Newbies need a second chance" some of your attitudes towards certain newbies and in some cases even regualrs, it's just horrific. Like for instants if a newbie posts a topic to try and win GAD you always manage to find something wrong with the topic like spellling mistakes and things like that then you let 'em have it.

Or if someone posted a review in the topics forums because they couldn't find it anywhare in the database you do the same thing. Even spammers have to have a second chance. I admit I was a spammer when I first joined and I regret it, but I was given a second chance by two certain members of this site you could say they were my role models. and I learned that if I posted completely useles topics they would get ingored and if I osted good topics I got some decent replies.

That's the way you need to treat spammers not by being horrible or unfair. If you ingore them they might come up with something decent if they learn the way I did.
Some poeple may even be special needs so how do you think they feel when you are mean to them.

So what I'm saying is stop this attitude you have towards newbies and spammers and give them a second chance.
Mon 19/11/01 at 10:55
Regular
People learn by either receiving priase or punishment.

You do something stupid, you get punsihed. You do something good, you get praised.

Simple.
Mon 19/11/01 at 10:56
"I hate that!!!"
yes the punishment being getting ingored. Not by nasty remarks.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:07
Regular
Doughnut Monster wrote:
> yes the punishment being getting ingored. Not by nasty remarks.

But then if they are ignored, they post even more to try and get some attention.

It's best to tell them straight, then they know and can change.

You did it, why can't others?
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:17
"High polygon count"
Things like reviews I can accept, Even though they should go in the reviews section, it's not always possible.

I more or less reviewed Burnout in the PS2 forum yesterday, but there were two reasons for that. The first was that someone actually asked about the game, and the second was that I couldn't fit all that I wanted to say in the 4000 character limit imposed on reviews. Sure I could shorten it, but then I wouldn't be able to give enough detail to make it worthwhile.

As for the rest of it... I'll always give Newbies a chance; I only snap if they keep posting crap or spam.

There have been some very good Newbies recently - sadly they seem to go unnoticed. As with the news on TV, it's only the bad stuff that really gets noticed.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:33
Regular
"I confused?"
Like Who?
I agree that some Newbies fill the site up with crap but so do some of the regulars. So if we all get together so we can stop the people that post rubbish and this site would be a lot better.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:33
Well I'm just here to talk about games not make fun of anyone or get made fun of. I don't care if you make fun of me I can take it and if you guys don't like what I have to say then just don't look at it. Same goes for the people who think video games cause violence, they are wrong video games help release violence in a good productive way like stealing a car and cramming it into a police head quarters and blowing it up.

Man you gotta love that game (GTA3)
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:35
Regular
"Tag as above"
I personally haven't had any problems as a newbie, but I think that there is to much emphasis on number of posts and peolpes stats.

I come here quite regular like, but I'll only post when I think I have something worth saying, I notice there aer others that post, as it would seem just for the hell of it, and to bump up there stats.

Generally I find most I have good interesting comments to make, some of the debates being my favs.

Fat <- an old newbie
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:41
Well put. This is only my first night on here and I have found some really interest subjects on here and this about the only good place that I could just come and talk about games and someone accually be interested.
Mon 19/11/01 at 11:50
Regular
Think of it from a readers point of view.

They see a certain newbie posting something stupid.

Are they going want to spend their time reading thi newbies spam, or are they going to search elsewhere for interesting discussion.

If newbies do some thing stupid then they have to earn respect. If they post something good then they get respect for it.

Being ignored is not a deliberate punishment, it's just if you lose a readers trust, do they want to waste more time on your posts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.