GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do some people think x-box is better than GameCube?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/11/01 at 12:34
Regular
Focusing on gaming aspects alone, (because that's what we really buy these consoles for right?) can anyone give me valid reasons why the X-box is better than the Gamecube? In the Microsoft forum it just seems to be macho talk that the X-box is better than PS2 and GameCube, but no reasons why. Have some people set their sights on the X-box just because of the size of the Microsoft Corporation? Have some people got the attitude that just because it is from Microsoft it has to be the best?
Sun 18/11/01 at 12:34
Focusing on gaming aspects alone, (because that's what we really buy these consoles for right?) can anyone give me valid reasons why the X-box is better than the Gamecube? In the Microsoft forum it just seems to be macho talk that the X-box is better than PS2 and GameCube, but no reasons why. Have some people set their sights on the X-box just because of the size of the Microsoft Corporation? Have some people got the attitude that just because it is from Microsoft it has to be the best?
Sun 18/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
what is so good about the gamecube??? the n64 was "really" good wasnt it eh?

anyway, the x-box has a 300MHz custom 3D graphics processing unit from nVidia that is two generations ahead of what they have on the PC.

and here r the actuall specs of the x-box:

CPU:
Intel Pentium III 733MHz (not 600 as u said) processor with Streaming SIMD Extensions

Graphics Processing Unit:
300MHz custom 3D graphics processor by nVidia
300 million micropolygons/particles per second
150 million transformed and lit polygons per second
100+ million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing)
4 simultaneous textures
Compressed textures available at 8:1 compression
Full-scene anti-aliasing

Memory:
64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
6.4GB/sec memory bandwidth

Storage:
8GB hard drive
4X DVD drive with movie playback
8MB memory card

Sound:
Custom 3-D audio processor
64 Audio channels
3-D Audio support
Midi/DLS2 support
AC3 encoded game audio

Network:
100 MBPS Ethernet Port
Optional Modem

Input/Output:
4 game USB controller ports
Expansion port
Proprietary A/V connector

Video:
DVD movie playback
1920x1080 maximum resolution
HDTV support

all this means the the box will b able to provide a better gaming experience than the rest, i have a ps2 and that cool, but the x-box will b better!

i think the x-box will be king!
Mon 19/11/01 at 04:22
So far Ive played all three consoles and on the basis of the games available there is very little to distinguish between them. Sure Rougue Leader on the GameCube looks nice, as does Halo on the Xbox, as does GranTurismo 3 on the PS2... but none of them make you believe that one console is more powerful than the other.

As far as I can see the playing field is pretty level, you can add the Dreamcast to those 3 to. There just isnt that much between these next gen consoles :-)
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:56
Regular
"MSR Rules"
The chief programmer for DOA3, i cant remember his name, has stated that the XBOX is 3 to 4 times more powerfull than the PS2.
So it should be it is far more up to date.
His reasonings are that the PS2 cannot show as much detail on the screen at the same time as the X-Box.

But surely it is the games that matter the most.

My personal reasoning to buy one are the graphical effects available through the Nvidia card. These cannot be done on any other machine, except a PC.
I also cannot wait for Project Gotham, JSR Future and Halo. All are top notch titles which are worth praise.
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:43
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
i think it shows how good the ps2 and DC are when people r comparing with consols that have not finished being fully developed (for this country anyway).

at the moment u cant say gamecube or x-box "IS" better cause u dont have one to play on (unless u got an import). however, u can say "I THINK" the x-box/gamecube "WILL" be better.

once the x-box and gamecube r finally released u can compare the machines with ps2 and DC if u wish. i wont, cause the dreamcast and ps2 will have been out for well over a year and i feel it would b unfair.

my brother has a DC and i have a ps2 and we will be both getting an x-box each. (we dont like nintendo, their too cartoony, but thats for another post).
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:30
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
to be honest with you - b/c it is better than GAMECUBE
Wed 12/12/01 at 15:03
"You love us!"
RUKUS WROTE: anyway, the x-box has a 300MHz custom 3D graphics processing unit from nVidia that is two generations ahead of what they have on the PC.

WRONG! Two generations on the pc is like the difference between a Geforce 256 DDR and a Geforce 3! A HUGE difference!

The Nvidia chip set that is in the xbox is pretty much the same as the new Geforce 3 Ti 500 in terms of power and features! In fact (from memory0 I believe the speed of the Ti 500 is in fact more than 300MHZ so you could say the Xbox chip I already out of date! Both GeForce 3 and X-BOX (Both based on the NV20 chip set, although I believe the x-box chip was code named the NV-X) have 4 pipelines, roughly the same ploy pushing power and the same amount of on board memory – with the same memory architecture!

Personally I don’t really care which console is the most powerful, to me it’s down to the quality of the games – that’s why I’ve got a console, cause there are some really cool games I can’t get for my PC. Anyway, if it’s raw power you want then the PC is always going to be miles ahead, this time next year a top of the range PC G-card will blow any console into the dust - it’ll cost a fortune but in terms of power it’ll rock.
Wed 12/12/01 at 20:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
kingdingaling wrote:
> Focusing on gaming aspects alone, (because that's what we really buy these
> consoles for right?) can anyone give me valid reasons why the X-box is better
> than the Gamecube?

Almost none of the repliers have realised that games are more important than anything else... the power of the console is meaningless- it's the quality of the games that makes a console. Moving on....

In the Microsoft forum it just seems to be macho talk that
> the X-box is better than PS2 and GameCube, but no reasons why. Have some people
> set their sights on the X-box just because of the size of the Microsoft
> Corporation? Have some people got the attitude that just because it is from
> Microsoft it has to be the best?

In fact, MS are actively making sure they don't push the power of the console over the quality of the games... it is people in these forums that are making a big point about the power thing.

Just read an interview with J Allard, head of the xbox team, and you'll see how dedicated he is:

First up, he is making sure the Xbox is not a PC, and has console style games. There are exclusive deals with Bungie (who MS now own), and companies like Oddworld inhabitants (who were making one of the most widely anticipated PS2 games until MS bought the rights!). Also on the cards are games like Project Gotham (MSR sequal!!!) and DOA3 (exclusive).

One big problem MS do have is getting Japanese developers on board. So, they've set up their own Japanese HQ, had lots of talks with publishers, and got large numbers on board.

I could go on for hours... but in the end I think it's safe to say that MS have a good console, with some top games (look at the reviews!), and a great console development teams consisting of people who have been in the industry longer than most.

They'll certainly not come ontop in this console "war"... Sony have a big head start... and even MS admit to that. However, the console will make a huge impact and sell very well.

Sonic
Sun 16/12/01 at 22:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The graphics chip runs at 233 Mhz not 300 and the texture compression rate is 6:1 not 8:1.
Mon 17/12/01 at 13:58
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
the specs i put down there was taken from the offical x-box site. if they r wrong go tell bill gates!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.