GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If you support Sega, then reply."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/11/01 at 11:49
Regular
I love my dreamcast, it's a crying shame that it's being killed off the way it is?
The dreamcast has so many top titles it's like having an arcade machine in your living room or bedroom.
Why does it have to come to an end?
There are so meny Dreamcast owners who would still buy new Quality games if the support was there from software companies.
I feel abit like Sega have let us down, chucking in the towel early agree or disagree?

The Dreamcast is better than Playstation2 in lots of ways ie:- great original games, fun games, arcade quality games,
agree or disagree.

I really hope the dreamcast does not come a thing of the past because it does not deserve it.

It's time for us Proud Sega owners to speak our mind and tell the world how good the machine really is?

Bye for now, please comment good or bad?
Cheers Crusher.
Sun 18/11/01 at 11:28
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Mystique wrote:
> dreamcast game cases are gay
they dont open properly
the book has to go in the
> back
the sheet in the back easily gets all crapped up
Mystique, if the only problem with the DC is its cases. Then that makes the DC a pretty damn good console wouldn’t you think!?

Though, while were on that subject don’t you just hate the N64 cases?! They’re made out of cardboard, and so easily get damaged. But still, this does not change my theory on the N64. Even if the covers are the worst on the market!
Sun 18/11/01 at 11:25
SEGA had a good reputation,so why they just gave up on consoles is beyond me.The neo geo pocket is ace,the dreamcast was way above average,and way long ago,the megadrive was the best console on the market.I suppose ive got over the shock butwhy,sega,why?
Sun 18/11/01 at 11:18
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Mystique wrote:
> dreamcast game cases are gay
they dont open properly
the book has to go in the
> back

As Crusher said, you can't judge a book by it's cover. Just because it may have a bad cover design, heck, a bad case design in general is completely irrelevant to whether the game is good or not. I couldn't make any sense in why you actually said that, because cases or artwork don't help me buy a game - it's the actual game. However, I must agree that the cases are quite badly designed. Look at Crazy Taxi, it had a rather plain front cover, but it's a damn good game, one of the finest on any console. Like it or lump it - simple.

Firebalt.
Sun 18/11/01 at 11:06
"period drama"
isn't there going to be a sonic game on ps2.

i hope so
Sun 18/11/01 at 11:01
"possibly impossible"
The Dreamcast was a great machine, both in specs, ease of development and for the games it boasted. It's easy to see that its main strength was the list of good quality games. Not just quick arcade games either, things like Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Headhunter and many more were enough to offset the many fantastic arcade games that the machine could add to its list.

The games were varied enough to appeal to most audiences, from children's games to more adult titles and Sega made sure that Dreamcast owners got to see a lot of big titles in the Dreamcast's shelf life. There is no arguement that they only catered for the arcade 'quick fix' fans, as there were plenty of RPGs and other longer games too, but the previous posts really show where Sega lacked, and that was awareness of what their product had to offer.

When the PS2 first arrived, it didn't have too many killer games, some were pretty dissapointing and others were forgettable. There were a few that stood out though, but this was not the reason the PS2 sold well at the beginning of its life. It sold because of brand awareness and also the ability to play old games, thus causing old PS1s to be sold on the second hand market, allowing owners to gather a little bit of money towards the then steep PS2 price.

Back to the current day and Sony have delivered on their promise of good games and big names. People are now buying the console for its games and it's certainly a good time for anyone to get into the Sony scene, especially for ex-Dreamcast owners missing all the big Sega titles, as Sega themselves are now working on the PS2 (as well as the other 2 main contenders)

Sega didn't make their Dreamcast known to the world. Most people know Sega's name, even those not into gaming, but a lot of their would-be customers didn't know about the Dreamcast, what games it had, what it looked like and generally whether it actually existed at all. This is where it fell down. Given Sony's style of marketing and their lust for attention, Sega's white box would still be in the running this Christmas, but they sat back and relied on their name to carry them through, just not realising that the market had become as cut throat as the rest of the electronics industry. This is where it failed, after all, there were many cries of joy when Sega announced it was working on the PS2 platform, so the games are not really the factor in killing the console.

The other point mentioned is the 'death' of a console. Well, if you still use a Dreamcast, then surely it hasn't died. In fact, despite no more being made, there are still quite a few sales of Dreamcast hardware at this time. Parents are seeing the platform as a great money saving console for the younger kids in the family and other people strapped for cash or just into Sega games are finally able to purchase it for a cheaper price, with a good back catalogue of games on offer at £10 or less in some instances.

Unfortunately, games production has also ceased on many of the titles, meaning that you will have to snap some of the more popular games up soon if you want to get the chance to play them. Even SR has run out of some games, so get in their quick if you have a PS2 and want a good alternative console to play around with, or if you just want to sample some of Sega's finest games.

In conclusion, Sega killed their console's chances by not advertising aggressively against the competition. This doesn't mean the console wasn't (and isn't) good, it is outstanding, but it's reaching the end of it's shelf life now and Sega are looking elsewhere. It's still a good buy for console fans and true gamers everywhere though and one you should add to your collection if you love games.
Sun 18/11/01 at 00:24
True but you can't judge a book by it's cover.
Sat 17/11/01 at 23:37
Regular
dreamcast game cases are gay
they dont open properly
the book has to go in the back
Sat 17/11/01 at 23:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Crusher wrote:
> I love my dreamcast, it's a crying shame that it's being killed off the way it
> is?
The dreamcast has so many top titles it's like having an arcade machine in
> your living room or bedroom.

Yeah, ok, its a shame that a good console like DC has not made such a massive impact on the industry, as there were some good games on there. But for it to go down hill in the manner it has is know ones fault other than its own. I mean, for this to happen something must have been wrong for it not to do as well as hoped. As has been said, the fact that the console was mainly for arcade gaming may be a large reason for why this happened. People want longetivity for there money now, and many arcade games are known to be a little short.

The Dreamcast is better than
> Playstation2 in lots of ways ie:- great original games, fun games, arcade
> quality games,
agree or disagree.

That my friend is all down to opinion. Now as you are from the sega relm you are sure to say that, as will many from the PS2 side will say that PS2 games are better. But the fact is its all down to what you want out of games, if your an arcade player you will probably go for a DC as thats what it mainly offers. now dont start going on to me about how the DC offers more in depth games than anything else, as we know it does not, there are some, but more games are arcade than anything else. Yes these are fun, but in many cases they dont last and soon get boring.

I own a PS2. The main reason was i liked the PS1 and became a Sony what ever you call it. Why? becuase i like those games. You can go on to me about how sony offers no origanal games but i dont care, i know there are many new games, and so what, i enjoy playing sequals too as long as they offer me a lot more fun.

So in other words, i disagree with you, as thats my opinion, and dont forget that, we all have our own opinions.
Sat 17/11/01 at 23:18
Regular
I'm getting a Dreamcast this christmas.

Yep! You heard it here first. One of Nintendo's greatest fans is getting a Dreamcast. And yes I do read NOM!
Sat 17/11/01 at 16:37
"period drama"
i want jet set radio on ps2.

please..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.