GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rockstar making for Nintendo Gamecube. . . GTA for Gamecube?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/04/03 at 23:02
Regular
from Cube Europe

-----------------------

An article about mature gaming brought up an interesting quote.
A recent article by Yahoo quoted some NPD figures and in the article this was stated:

The last two "Grand Theft Auto" games have provided an immersive story with multiple coinciding missions. The next one is due out in 2004. A month later, "Grand Theft Auto 3" and "Vice City" finish exclusive run on Sony's PlayStation 2 and will be available for Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube. "And they will sell, like, a jillion copies," Pachter said.

The full article can be found at Yahoo.

Update

This is a quote from Nintendo's E3 mini-page, which can be found here.

"With mega-hits like Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker already exclusively available for Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo is riding a wave of momentum as the show approaches. Industry leaders such as Electronic Arts, Sega, Capcom, Activision, Rock Star Games and many more will be showcasing their upcoming Nintendo GameCube games at the 2003 E3 Expo.."

-------------------------------

Like erm, cool!
Sun 27/04/03 at 17:52
Regular
Rockstar make tonnes of games...

Tonnes.
Sun 27/04/03 at 15:07
Regular
Nah, the GC will be getting whatever GTA game is brought out at the time.
Sun 27/04/03 at 14:58
Regular
"keep your receipt"
So is the GameCube getting GTA3 and Vice City a month after the PS2 gets GTA4? That's over a year away, if I've understood correctly. Nothing to get amazingly excited about, as by then the games will be way past it.
Sun 27/04/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well I do really really like the entire GTA series, but to be honest, Rockstar don't have anything else that's really any good. Midnight Club was used as a basis for GTA as they were working out how a 3D environment would work, and State of Emergency was also used to see how many people could be put on screen at any one time. So these were basically the building blocks for GTA, therefore Rockstar have only ever really bothered about GTA and getting it to work properly.

But I do reckon the GTA series wil continue for a long time, because Rockstar are obviously very dedicated to this game and I imagine it has brought them most of their fortune, and they will come up with something new and inovative because I think Rockstar know how important it is to them that the series continues to be successful.

But yes, Midnight Club 2 does look good and I will be getting it. I only hope it's better than the first one because that was pretty pants.
Sun 27/04/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Thats cool. But as it has been said loads of times, Rockstar - GTA and thats it.

Midnight racey thing looks tasty too. But I would love a copy of GTA on GC. Just to rub it in all my PS2 owners friends.

"Oooh look I bought my PS2 just to play GTA.."

"I have GameCube and GTA, and Metroid and Mario Kart and SMB and SSBM and etc etc"

Mwuah, mwuaah, MWUAHAHAHA!
Sun 27/04/03 at 10:27
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
GTA offers a different kind of game to players at the end of the day. Of course theres plenty of violent games, but its how it uses all the violence and controversy. You have tons to do in the game - even outside the main missions and if you're not in the mood to follow the rails as it were, you're free to go about your own business at any time.

As the series progresses, you get to do more different types of crime and do more stuff in general. I don't think the series is really running out of ideas, its expanding and some of the ideas that people would love to see just aren't quite possible yet, but no doubt they will be as new consoles come out, offering more power to mess around with.

Its excellent as far as the freedom for players thing goes. Of course its controversial, but then its basically a crime sim, so it would be hard to ever be anything but that for this game.
Lets face it, not many are gonna copy the films they watch or run to the local pub and blow away someone they don't like. This game allows you to play that kind of role with the added bonus being that you don't get put away for it.
Once the consoles are powerful enough, I can imagine GTA really becoming one of the greats with you doing double or even treble the things you can do now. Enter any building, rob a bank without it having to be a scripted mission, take hostages when things get really heated with the cops, run your own dealings with certain trades in weapons, etc. What I mean is that you can choose your allies or foes, you choose where to take over and you arrange deals and carry them out - like meeting a contact at the docks to exchange money for some new weapons to sell, etc.
Plus maybe you could have your own gang members who walk around your territories and carry out jobs on their own or with you playing a part.
Sun 27/04/03 at 01:43
Regular
Nintendo often comment on how GTA was the next big thing in games... Nintendo love that game obviously. Could Gotham games be making GTA spin off for cube? We'll just have to sit tight and see.
Sun 27/04/03 at 01:24
Regular
"QPR 1974"
True. Grand Theft is the only thing they really have, and that is running out of ideas now. Its a good series but it's headed down a clichéd path, with clichéd plots, environments, scenarios etc. Innovation is the key... we saw it in GTA 1, we saw it in GTA III (Slightly) but where now?...

Rockstar aren't all that and a pinch of salt...

They should think first. Or scrap the series for a new title which is original and innovative.

I still like Vice City though... but thats only because it's still a 'fresh' genre (sort of). But when the sense of freedom dies out, and the novelty of listening to 80's pop music ends... so does the game.
Sun 27/04/03 at 01:14
Regular
The first one was rubbish though, haven't seen anything about the sequel though so can't really judge.

Rockstar really aren't 'all that' though.
Sun 27/04/03 at 01:12
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Midnight Club 2 looks tasty, thats Rockstar...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.