GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"<<<>>>"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 22:50
Regular
I hate the XBox. HATE IT.

Why?

I don't give one two or even three toots about the games, this console is made by Microsoft.

Why cant they leave the console market alone? it doesn't need to be poisioned with their own mass promoted crap.

I hate them. Deteste them. And all because everytime I turn this very PC on it seems to have one more new virus that Norton has to try and help me with. Well the main answer should be under the 'serious' heading with the problem being 'your operating system is windows'.

Everything I have ever used that is Windows has had a better version. Hell I have given them every bloody chance at every bloody oppertunity. I tried Windows 95/98/ME and even XP. I am everytime gone back to '95 because it just seemed the least crappy.

And even the packages, I have tried them, but when I even try and contemplate to compare FrontPage to Dreamweaver its humane. Or even the simple crappy Microsoft Word to AppleWord or even PageMaker. Yes I know its comparing a soddy crappy batch software with a professional company. Who cares. If Microsoft are so professional why the hell does it leave all the doors shut when it comes to helping fellow companies excel and eventually actually help Microsoft.

Yes. I hate them. Sony are GODS compared to Microsoft.

Everything they touch makes me feel sick. Now they have entered the gaming industry I don't feel well. This is the company that is reasonsible for all problems you have ever had with your PC. And I know there are tons. You all accept this (most of you) when you don't have to. This is the norm for you. A new problem everyday. A file not opening. A program needs reinstalling. Look mates, iggnorance is bliss.

The answer: you all expect me to shout: GET A MAC.

Well I won't. I am going to actually not burst and think about this answer. I feel its simple. Get a bloody Mac.

You people out there, you made Microsoft the steaming pile of poo they are today, you could change this. No not make Mac a steaming pile. Just make them the bigger company they so deserve to be.

And now I wait for the onslaught from all PC lovers in the forum, but I will hold my opinion because I really don't care what you say. I have although I don't really like to admit it, sat infront of screen most of my life. These computer monitors are like a third eye to me.

What else? I am having a rant. Triggered by Ali and Meka's topic. Meka is fairly not giving the XBox a chance because he thinks they are taking it too seriously. Microsoft don't give any hoots about us as gamers, they care about profit. That's the truth, their objective will be to be the biggest console developer in the world and also make the most profit. I never thought I would liking Sony as a company.

But now given the choice, I would jump in the back of a Sony Mini, then in the back of a Microsoft limo.

huh. Just please don't let it happen. Without competition there is no quality. Without Nintendo there is less everything.

Sony and Nintendo can do it together. The XBox needs to be shunned.

Green X? Very ironic there Mr Gates, you are jealous of what others can do. Idiot.

huh. Joby
Sat 17/11/01 at 16:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Thank you Edgy.
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:26
Regular
"Not your monkey"
>>>Your Honour wrote:
>>>Fine, stop slating MS, they're giving you what you want.

Have they? I am currently on a PC running Red Hat Linux 6 (£30 in the shops for the package rather than £180 for WinDOZE) which has never crashed and is so efficient you would not believe. Oh, and netscape navigator may i add.

>>>er-no wrote:

>>>Microsoft are competition that is not healthy to the >>>gaming industry.
>>>You will see, I will be proved right.

Agreed. The main reason i hate Micro$oft is coz their business practices are illegal. If they were sucessful because they were actually good then fair play to them but they are not. For example:

Extortion (OK, I don't know the exact law, but this is what it amounts to :)

They had a monopoly position on the desktop. They decided to launch a competing product. They used the fact that they had a monopoly to force OEMs to enter into contracts which prevented them from promoting competitor's products by preinstalling them on the computers they sold. The OEMs also had to pay MS for every computer they sold, regardless of whether Windows was on it or not.

Not only illegal, but also unethical.

I'm not gonna paste articles in this thread but check the following:

They didn't just lie, it was their policy to. Heard of the Halloween Documents?

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

(the amusing thing about these is that this is MS basically saying for themselves why open source etc. is better)

Keep that in mind, and then read:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6322264.html?tag=tp_pr

That's Bill Gates talking utter rubbish about the GNU GPL. He's lying.

Also see:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/134332634
_microlob23.html

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-202-121243.html

That's also perjury, because MS tried to use that as evidence during their trial.

I can't find a link to information about MS doctoring videotapes during the trial, I just trawled through 682 links about MS's badness so I must have just missed it :) But doctoring videotapes is not just lying, it's
perjury.

You really want to give these people your money? So Linux is not supported by games...maybe thats because Micro$oft make sure that they write products (Direct X) which only work on their O/S. If you wanna play games, buy a console - a PS2 is just over 15 quid more than a new copy of of XP and it wont crash every time you are about to complete a game.

On the plus side in favour of Micro$oft, their software is getting better. XP is quite good. Does't by any means excuse their business practices though!

Oh, er-no.... i think the reason your topic heading didn't show is because of the < and > tags. In html, these are layout directives (in simple terms) and are generally either understood or ignored by an internet browser. It probablt didn't understand the directive that you hate micro$oft and just ignored it (depends how SR have written the website).

Actually, i wouldn't be surprised if our friend Bill didn't include an instruction in Internet Explorer to ignore and remove anything said against Micro$oft. He is probably arranging for you to be attacked and raped by wil micro$oft monkeys as i speak. Either that or you will be forced to reformat your hard disk but that is a regular occurance anyway and couldn't be proved a consequence of slagging off Micro$oft.

....there i'm done now! Just doing my little bit to try and bury micro$oft and their practices.

thanks for reading all those who actually bothered (both of you :D )

--Luke
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:25
Regular
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> >>>Your Honour wrote:
>>>Fine, stop slating MS, they're
> giving you what you want.

Have they? I am currently on a PC running Red Hat
> Linux 6 (£30 in the shops for the package rather than £180 for
> WinDOZE) which has never crashed and is so efficient you would not believe. Oh,
> and netscape navigator may i add.

Er, ok. But if you read my whole post, you'd see that MS are providing competition in the CONSOLE market, which is what Er-no wanted. So MS are providing what he wanted.

Also RedHat is a bunch of a**e. We used it at work and there were no drivers for the graphics card, so we had to run in CLI (command line interface).

It took nearly 2 Gigs of HDD space, and it crashed reasonably regularly.

So all in all, I prefer Windows.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:27
Regular
I tired to install RedHat Linux 6 on my computer, but it didn't support my Microsoft keyboard...........
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:30
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> I tired to install RedHat Linux 6 on my computer, but it didn't support my
> Microsoft keyboard...........

I wonder why... :-P

I like your tagline. Does she do that regularly?
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Your Honour wrote:

>Er, ok. But if you read my whole post, you'd see that MS are
> providing competition in the CONSOLE market, which is what >Er-no wanted. So MS
> are providing what he wanted.

Ahh, i see. my apologies, i misunderstood your post (i did read it all though - was too wrapped in the opportunity to slate MS! :D)

Also RedHat is a bunch of a**e. We used it at
> work and there were no drivers for the graphics card, so we had to run in CLI
> (command line interface).

Fair enough, can't argue with your personal experiences with it! I have never had any problems with it though - i guess it depends on what its used for. Mine is brilliant for programming (things like C and openGL etc). As you say though, there are few drivers but then if you don't use anything too snazy (which you don't need for business), i don't see why it should not work when setup correctly.

It took nearly 2 Gigs of HDD space, and it crashed
> reasonably regularly.
WTF? what version were you using!!

So all in all, I prefer Windows.
Well, i guess we are all different!!
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:44
Regular
I was using version 7.1.

I didn't know exactly what I needed to install to get it to do what I wanted, so I selected everything.

The problem with Linux based OS's seem to be that you need to know a reasonable amount before you can do anything with it.

With Windows, you stick the CD in, it installs.

You then stick in the game CD, it installs and you play the game. Simple.

With Linux based OS's, becauise it's all open source, you have a lot more control over it. Which, to the casual user, is a bad thing as they don't want to have to put the time and effort into it.

They just want a computer where Dad can do his work reports and sort out his email, and the kids and install and play games easily. THAT is one of the reasons why windows is more popular.

Linux based OS's can be much better, *depending on what you want* which is the important bit.

Businesses need the flexibility that an OS like RedHat can give. The casual user doesn't.
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:46
Regular
Your Honour wrote:

You would be surprised, well maybe not you, buy most women like you would.......
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:49
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:

You
> would be surprised, well maybe not you, buy most women like you would.......

FLIBBLE.

Can I have that in English please?

:-)
Mon 19/11/01 at 14:50
Regular
You should be a politician, dodging bullets like that......

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.