GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"<<<>>>"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 22:50
Regular
I hate the XBox. HATE IT.

Why?

I don't give one two or even three toots about the games, this console is made by Microsoft.

Why cant they leave the console market alone? it doesn't need to be poisioned with their own mass promoted crap.

I hate them. Deteste them. And all because everytime I turn this very PC on it seems to have one more new virus that Norton has to try and help me with. Well the main answer should be under the 'serious' heading with the problem being 'your operating system is windows'.

Everything I have ever used that is Windows has had a better version. Hell I have given them every bloody chance at every bloody oppertunity. I tried Windows 95/98/ME and even XP. I am everytime gone back to '95 because it just seemed the least crappy.

And even the packages, I have tried them, but when I even try and contemplate to compare FrontPage to Dreamweaver its humane. Or even the simple crappy Microsoft Word to AppleWord or even PageMaker. Yes I know its comparing a soddy crappy batch software with a professional company. Who cares. If Microsoft are so professional why the hell does it leave all the doors shut when it comes to helping fellow companies excel and eventually actually help Microsoft.

Yes. I hate them. Sony are GODS compared to Microsoft.

Everything they touch makes me feel sick. Now they have entered the gaming industry I don't feel well. This is the company that is reasonsible for all problems you have ever had with your PC. And I know there are tons. You all accept this (most of you) when you don't have to. This is the norm for you. A new problem everyday. A file not opening. A program needs reinstalling. Look mates, iggnorance is bliss.

The answer: you all expect me to shout: GET A MAC.

Well I won't. I am going to actually not burst and think about this answer. I feel its simple. Get a bloody Mac.

You people out there, you made Microsoft the steaming pile of poo they are today, you could change this. No not make Mac a steaming pile. Just make them the bigger company they so deserve to be.

And now I wait for the onslaught from all PC lovers in the forum, but I will hold my opinion because I really don't care what you say. I have although I don't really like to admit it, sat infront of screen most of my life. These computer monitors are like a third eye to me.

What else? I am having a rant. Triggered by Ali and Meka's topic. Meka is fairly not giving the XBox a chance because he thinks they are taking it too seriously. Microsoft don't give any hoots about us as gamers, they care about profit. That's the truth, their objective will be to be the biggest console developer in the world and also make the most profit. I never thought I would liking Sony as a company.

But now given the choice, I would jump in the back of a Sony Mini, then in the back of a Microsoft limo.

huh. Just please don't let it happen. Without competition there is no quality. Without Nintendo there is less everything.

Sony and Nintendo can do it together. The XBox needs to be shunned.

Green X? Very ironic there Mr Gates, you are jealous of what others can do. Idiot.

huh. Joby
Thu 15/11/01 at 22:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
I hate the XBox. HATE IT.

Why?

I don't give one two or even three toots about the games, this console is made by Microsoft.

Why cant they leave the console market alone? it doesn't need to be poisioned with their own mass promoted crap.

I hate them. Deteste them. And all because everytime I turn this very PC on it seems to have one more new virus that Norton has to try and help me with. Well the main answer should be under the 'serious' heading with the problem being 'your operating system is windows'.

Everything I have ever used that is Windows has had a better version. Hell I have given them every bloody chance at every bloody oppertunity. I tried Windows 95/98/ME and even XP. I am everytime gone back to '95 because it just seemed the least crappy.

And even the packages, I have tried them, but when I even try and contemplate to compare FrontPage to Dreamweaver its humane. Or even the simple crappy Microsoft Word to AppleWord or even PageMaker. Yes I know its comparing a soddy crappy batch software with a professional company. Who cares. If Microsoft are so professional why the hell does it leave all the doors shut when it comes to helping fellow companies excel and eventually actually help Microsoft.

Yes. I hate them. Sony are GODS compared to Microsoft.

Everything they touch makes me feel sick. Now they have entered the gaming industry I don't feel well. This is the company that is reasonsible for all problems you have ever had with your PC. And I know there are tons. You all accept this (most of you) when you don't have to. This is the norm for you. A new problem everyday. A file not opening. A program needs reinstalling. Look mates, iggnorance is bliss.

The answer: you all expect me to shout: GET A MAC.

Well I won't. I am going to actually not burst and think about this answer. I feel its simple. Get a bloody Mac.

You people out there, you made Microsoft the steaming pile of poo they are today, you could change this. No not make Mac a steaming pile. Just make them the bigger company they so deserve to be.

And now I wait for the onslaught from all PC lovers in the forum, but I will hold my opinion because I really don't care what you say. I have although I don't really like to admit it, sat infront of screen most of my life. These computer monitors are like a third eye to me.

What else? I am having a rant. Triggered by Ali and Meka's topic. Meka is fairly not giving the XBox a chance because he thinks they are taking it too seriously. Microsoft don't give any hoots about us as gamers, they care about profit. That's the truth, their objective will be to be the biggest console developer in the world and also make the most profit. I never thought I would liking Sony as a company.

But now given the choice, I would jump in the back of a Sony Mini, then in the back of a Microsoft limo.

huh. Just please don't let it happen. Without competition there is no quality. Without Nintendo there is less everything.

Sony and Nintendo can do it together. The XBox needs to be shunned.

Green X? Very ironic there Mr Gates, you are jealous of what others can do. Idiot.

huh. Joby
Thu 15/11/01 at 22:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Can I just say that the topic title was:

<<>>

It seems to have deleted that and also made my name and details at the very top Italic...

lol? Why Ali?
Thu 15/11/01 at 23:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I also have a disliking to microsoft. Not just because Bill Gates has more money or any of that nonsense, What I dislike is the way they act.
For example

They wrote code into the early versions of DOS that crashed when using Lotus 123 in certain conditions.

They are trying to steal JAVA and make it into another Microsoft product.

Their software isn't open source

They release software full of bugs, if anyone has a C compiler and is using XP try the following
#include

void main(void)
{
for(int i = 0; i < 5 ; i++) printf("\t\t\b\b\b");
}

If they get competition they just buy them out.

There are more but I'm going to write a book on it and sell it. : )
Thu 15/11/01 at 23:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeah what is with that? Them claiming Java is theirs?

Idiots.
Fri 16/11/01 at 01:14
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Don't know if you've missed the point along the way somewhere...MicroSoft is a business, by defenition they try to make money (and succeed very well).

Lots of companies employ underhand tactics, usually without the public knowing, but Micrsoft is hated by everyone and comes under much closer scrutiny for being so successful. I don't really like MS, but not because I think their software is poor, not because Bill Gates has a lot of money, simply because they're not pushing the technology as far as they could be.

They have the money, the resources and the backing to make some significant advances in the market, and the most they seem willing to do is release a Windows update every few years and now enter the console market. Yes, they have made some good games that I enjoy playing, and I still think the Windows is a fairly good operating system (considering it has to cater for all classes of user and deal with all the possible different hardware configurations of PCs), but I can't help but think they should be doing more.

Remember a quote from somewhere, "If the only thing Linux achieves is forcing Windows to be better, then it's been a huge success". Realistically, no one can expect to compete with Windows now. They do have a monopoly on the market, and they should be congratulated for getting this far from their origins, but this shouldn't be seen as an excuse for them to sit back and just let the money come in.

Whether they can take over the games market remains to be seen, but as you can see from the attitudes of users on here, not everyone is going to jump straight on the MS bandwagon. The fact that their O/S crashes has nothing to do with the final quality of their console - I've actually been impressed with the recent MS hardware, very comfortable to use, and I see no reason why the console shouldn't follow this pattern. However, I can see people not buying it because "It'll keep crashing" or "it's made by MS, so it must be bad".

Fair degree of resistance towards Sony as well wasn't there? People said they'd destroy all the competition, monopolise the market and that Sega and Nintendo fans should shun the machine completely and make Sony stick to TVs and Stereos. Look now, you're accepting Sony as a leader in the market and encouraging people to leave MS well alone. Why shouldn't they try it? Like I said, they're a business, but I doubt that their dominance in the office will be echoed in the living room - if anything I think it's an attempt to claw some of it back, Sony are taking it over and MS want a share.

It's unfair to blame all your PC problems on Windows. It does allow you more control over the kernal than MacOS, and hence lets you cause a lot of the problems. Ever tried using linux? It's infintely worse than windows for random crashes when you try delving deep in to the source, and as I said before, many pc crashes are not solely Windows' fault. Just checking my gateway running 2k next to me, it's got an uptime of over a month so far - yes, I do use it, it doesn't just sit there, and I suspect that this one would be approaching that too if I didn't keep butchering it to change hardware.

I use 2k on all of my boxen now, and I can't remember the last time one crashed. I reboot them to change hardware or complete software installations, but I don't have to do it to free up RAM or clear my cache, Windows has at least advanced to a level where it's capable of handling these tasks fairly well.

You're right, Macs do deserve more recognition, but look at the desktop market as a whole. Macs are seen as stylish, good for design, but not good as all round machines. There is a degree of truth in this, and while it's not as valid as an argument as it once was, most of the people buying desktops know MS. They know the name, they've heard about the problems, but they also know that almost all of their friends use it, all their PCs at work use it, and so it must be ok. This kind of dominance is very hard to shake and MS need to be shown that there is a challenger.

They accepted this a few months ago in the server market, people were using Linux, as they have started to see it as a serious threat. Sony and Nintendo need to prove to MS that they have experience and knowledge of the gaming market, they know what the public want, and they don't intend to be pushed out of the way. How do they do this? Strive to create the best products they can. Prove that they don't just rely on sequels and updates. Bring some innovation to the market and make titles that force people to sit up and take notice.

If MS see that there's this kind of competition, they're going to have to match it to get a look in, and how bad can that really be for us gamers? 3 companies vying for our money, trying to show that they still know what we want and that each one is the best on the market.

Gah, long...If you still think that MS are completely evil and out of order, go to kmfms.com and enjoy that.
Fri 16/11/01 at 01:48
"High polygon count"
I also have a healthy dislike of MS, but I have to say that I am completely stunned (in a GOOD way) by Windows XP.

It's absolutely fantastic. I installed it Wednesday night and still haven't quite got over it. I woke up Thursday morning convinced it had been a dream, but no... it's real, and it's GOOD.

Making that admission has left me drained... I'm going for a lie down!
Fri 16/11/01 at 10:12
Regular
The wally wrote:
Without competition there is no quality.

You want competition, yet you don't want Microsoft entering the market.

What you don't seem to realise is that Mircosoft are already pushing the console market forward.

Without the announcement of the XBox having broadband connection out of the box, Sony probably wouldn't have signed that deal with AOL, and so online gaming with consoles would take a lot longer to evolve.

You want competition?

Fine, stop slating MS, they're giving you what you want.
Fri 16/11/01 at 12:12
Regular
"Back For Good"
Microsoft smell and the only official games you'll get are boring simulators,I hope it flops and microsoft are banished FOREVER muhahaha
Fri 16/11/01 at 17:05
Regular
"everyone says it"
Muggins wrote:

You want
> competition, yet you don't want Microsoft entering the market.

What you don't
> seem to realise is that Mircosoft are already pushing the console market
> forward.

Without the announcement of the XBox having broadband connection out
> of the box, Sony probably wouldn't have signed that deal with AOL, and so online
> gaming with consoles would take a lot longer to evolve.

You want
> competition?

Fine, stop slating MS, they're giving you what you want.

Microsoft are competition that is not healthy to the gaming industry. You will see, I will be proved right.
Fri 16/11/01 at 22:39
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I also have a healthy dislike of MS, but I have to say that I am completely
> stunned (in a GOOD way) by Windows XP.

It's absolutely fantastic. I
> installed it Wednesday night and still haven't quite got over it. I woke up
> Thursday morning convinced it had been a dream, but no... it's real, and it's
> GOOD.

Making that admission has left me drained... I'm going for a lie down!

So, unlike Windows 98 and ME, it's not just an update of Windows 95 with a few extra background pics?

If it is quite different, how is it different?

And come on people, buy the GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Playstation 2 and any kind of computer that doesn't use Billy's Windows. (Not often I tell people to get a PS2!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.