GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enter the Matrix - the first propah review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/05/03 at 00:25
Regular
So, I finally got my hands on a copy of Enter the Matrix today after months of waiting. First time I saw the screenshots I thought it looked dump, then I saw the fight footage and went all wibbly inside. And now I own it. And am I pleased.

Thing is, if you don't much like The Matrix films, you probably won't get a kick out of the game. I was gonna get the Xbox version but ended up with a PS2 copy, nonetheless, it's still a very good game, or from what I can gather from playing for a few hours or so. The first level sees you attempting to retrieve a package from... the Post Office. As exciting as it sounds, it's actually a great little level and you really get the chance to get to grips with all the moves. Combat is simple, one button for punch, one for kick, both together for a throw. Press any button with a combination of any direction, and you'll get a different style of punch/kick etc. To be honest, sometimes it feels like pot luck which move you pull off, but it looks very, very cool.

And then there's the Focus button. Oh yes. Hold down L1 and the action slows down, just like bullet-time - run alongside a wall and you'll run up and cartwheel off. Run and push the action button and you'll do an acrobatic cartwheel. More importantly, combine the Focus with an offensive move, and the action swings to the side and you act out a  badass martial arts move, complete with swooshing noises. Man it's fun. If you perform a Focus attack on an enemy near a wall or table etc. your character sticks one foot on the surface and leaps into the air, smashing your opponent hard where it hurts. This feels brilliant, right up there with classic gaming moments.

But it's not without flaws. The graphics, at least on the PS2 version, are ropey at best. They're functional, they do the job and they're faithful to the Matrix world (ie. fairly drab and workaday) but they're not brilliant by any means. Likewise the camera, it will occasionally go walkabout in the middle of a multiple-enemy fight, but then almost every game has camera troubles and with something as advanced as this, it was kind of expected. The controls are, on the whole, fine, although I miss having the right stick to strafe, instead I have to settle for the shoulder buttons. The fire button also feels wrong on R1.

But after 5 minutes, you'll forgive the odd flaky polygon and camera shake because this IS the Matrix, it's got MATRIX stamped all over it. From the opening loading screens to the way the characters move and fight, everything screams quality. The music in particular is excellent, and helps build up the awesome atmosphere that envelops the game from the word go. The first level sets the scene very well, with a cool escape plot making you escape from a familiar looking lobby from many mental armed guards. Damn man, it's so cool. If you like your Matrix stuff, I reckon you'll feel right at home here.

So, first impressions - not brilliant, but certainly great fun, and has the potential in later levels to be awesome. The bullet-time is superb, the music stirring and the storyline straight out of the Matrix universe. I reckon I'm onto a winner here.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah but they raved over MGS2 and I loathed that, yet they gave
> Vietcong around 7/10 and I love that game.

I presume you're not talking about NGC specifically, as it's a GC/GBA magazine.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:23
Regular
Nottingham sucks.

Went into both GAME stores, neither had it in. Nor did WHSmiths, HMV or MVC, tried Tesco on my way home and what a surprise. Nothing.

On a high note, Xylophone-Man was totally rocking today.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Tell me, is the theme from the 'Lobby scene' of the original matrix in the game at any point?
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
AfroJoe wrote:
> "Great at first, but boring and repetitive after a while."
---

Yeah but they raved over MGS2 and I loathed that, yet they gave Vietcong around 7/10 and I love that game.

I'll see for myself tonight and will post impressions.
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:06
Regular
"8==="
might get it after i've finished my budget copy of buffy, i'm getting addicted to these progressive beat em ups
Thu 15/05/03 at 16:02
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
NGC - 73%

"Great at first, but boring and repetitive after a while."

Hmmm.
Thu 15/05/03 at 13:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Right, got the PC version (all 4 discs) and shall play tonight and post review/screenshots etc.

The Xbox version looked cool, Ghost being all kung-fu in a warehouse but the dude playing it sucked.

Vice City available as well in a massive box, so shall be getting that next week. GTA3 was much better on the PC, so Vice City shall rule.
Oh yes
Thu 15/05/03 at 11:41
Regular
Drunk Cow wrote:
> When does the movie come out over there Snuggly.
>
> I'm seeing it today just to brag to all of you on the forums. Oh, yes.

yes, but when I see it'll be better, because I've waited longer and the anticipation has built up more. Which makes no sense at all, but I feel better anyway ...
Thu 15/05/03 at 11:36
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
When does the movie come out over there Snuggly.

I'm seeing it today just to brag to all of you on the forums. Oh, yes.
Thu 15/05/03 at 11:31
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Reading the reviews makes me want to go home and play it more. Apparently if you hack the system a certain way, you can play a two-player beat 'em up game in which you take the role of a Transformer-like car. Interesting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.