GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enter the Matrix - the first propah review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/05/03 at 00:25
Regular
So, I finally got my hands on a copy of Enter the Matrix today after months of waiting. First time I saw the screenshots I thought it looked dump, then I saw the fight footage and went all wibbly inside. And now I own it. And am I pleased.

Thing is, if you don't much like The Matrix films, you probably won't get a kick out of the game. I was gonna get the Xbox version but ended up with a PS2 copy, nonetheless, it's still a very good game, or from what I can gather from playing for a few hours or so. The first level sees you attempting to retrieve a package from... the Post Office. As exciting as it sounds, it's actually a great little level and you really get the chance to get to grips with all the moves. Combat is simple, one button for punch, one for kick, both together for a throw. Press any button with a combination of any direction, and you'll get a different style of punch/kick etc. To be honest, sometimes it feels like pot luck which move you pull off, but it looks very, very cool.

And then there's the Focus button. Oh yes. Hold down L1 and the action slows down, just like bullet-time - run alongside a wall and you'll run up and cartwheel off. Run and push the action button and you'll do an acrobatic cartwheel. More importantly, combine the Focus with an offensive move, and the action swings to the side and you act out a  badass martial arts move, complete with swooshing noises. Man it's fun. If you perform a Focus attack on an enemy near a wall or table etc. your character sticks one foot on the surface and leaps into the air, smashing your opponent hard where it hurts. This feels brilliant, right up there with classic gaming moments.

But it's not without flaws. The graphics, at least on the PS2 version, are ropey at best. They're functional, they do the job and they're faithful to the Matrix world (ie. fairly drab and workaday) but they're not brilliant by any means. Likewise the camera, it will occasionally go walkabout in the middle of a multiple-enemy fight, but then almost every game has camera troubles and with something as advanced as this, it was kind of expected. The controls are, on the whole, fine, although I miss having the right stick to strafe, instead I have to settle for the shoulder buttons. The fire button also feels wrong on R1.

But after 5 minutes, you'll forgive the odd flaky polygon and camera shake because this IS the Matrix, it's got MATRIX stamped all over it. From the opening loading screens to the way the characters move and fight, everything screams quality. The music in particular is excellent, and helps build up the awesome atmosphere that envelops the game from the word go. The first level sets the scene very well, with a cool escape plot making you escape from a familiar looking lobby from many mental armed guards. Damn man, it's so cool. If you like your Matrix stuff, I reckon you'll feel right at home here.

So, first impressions - not brilliant, but certainly great fun, and has the potential in later levels to be awesome. The bullet-time is superb, the music stirring and the storyline straight out of the Matrix universe. I reckon I'm onto a winner here.
Fri 16/05/03 at 13:10
"You love us!"
Hmmm, got it a few weeks back, only played it for about an hour due to a backlog of games - Zelda WW, Soul Calibur II, Midnight Club 2 and Galerians Ash. As everyone has said, the game simply oozes 'Matrix' style from every pour, but I must say that on the whole it left me feeling a little flat.

It kinda’ reminded me of the old days when Ocean would release a movie tie-in of every half-decent film that hit the market, and the overall 'feel' of The Matrix game reminded me of those old games. A movie tie-in game by numbers.

Although I do agree with what Ali said, if you really like the Matrix then there is much to like about the videogame counterpart. Personally I thought the first film was excellent, but wasn't struck by the second one much...guess it's just unfortunate that the game was primarily based on the weaker of the two movies. Although they weren’t to know that when they started, so fair enough.

Maybe I will play it a bit more tonight – if it’s good enough for Mr Gray, then it must be worth a second play. So I will give it some time and see if it gets better. If I can pull myself away form WE6:FE + the WEdoIT 3.0 patch. EVERY football fan should own it :-)
Fri 16/05/03 at 12:25
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
FantasyMeister wrote:
>(Until you get to the helicopter bit at the airport which will wipe
> you out in a few seconds and make you look a bit of a prat).

True. Took me many a time before I realised the tactic.
Fri 16/05/03 at 12:00
Regular
"Hallelujah"
CDouch wrote:
> Garlic Bread!? wrote:
> Tell me, is the theme from the 'Lobby scene' of the original matrix
> in
> the game at any point?
>
> Mhmm it sure is. Pops up during certain fights and really, really gets
> you going.

Ooo! i cant wait for it to arrive! Hopefully its at my house now! i'll be home in 3 and a half hours... *starts bashing his head on desk*
Fri 16/05/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Matrix fans will LOVE it! Beat 'em up fans will either be horrified or love it, depends on their viewpoint.

The gameplay is VERY deep if you work out all the different combinations of moves that are possible (finish the first level then look at all the Tips you've picked up along the way to give you a glimpse of what's in store). It might just 'look' like one button for punch and another for kick, but there's a lot more to it if you want to pull off some neat combos and stylish moves.

And the hacking is a whole subgame in itself which I've just started exploring (unlocked the manuals and a couple of passwords so I'm off surfing for more clues later).

The most important thing? It makes you look VERY cool to anyone watching you play the game.

(Until you get to the helicopter bit at the airport which will wipe you out in a few seconds and make you look a bit of a prat).
Thu 15/05/03 at 23:02
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
PFFFFFFT.
Thu 15/05/03 at 23:02
Regular
Hooray for Blockbuster!

This is a very cool game.
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Garlic Bread!? wrote:
> Tell me, is the theme from the 'Lobby scene' of the original matrix in
> the game at any point?

Mhmm it sure is. Pops up during certain fights and really, really gets you going.
Thu 15/05/03 at 17:53
Regular
Mystique wrote:
> Nottingham sucks.
>
> Went into both GAME stores, neither had it in. Nor did WHSmiths, HMV
> or MVC, tried Tesco on my way home and what a surprise. Nothing.
>
>

Webit into Sainsbury's for a Vanilla Coke and saw it staring at me with like a whole display to itself.
Thu 15/05/03 at 17:52
Regular
It's all about personal opinion, Goatboy & gerrid. Goaty may love Vietcong and laothe MGS2, but the person who wrote the specific reviews may have vice versa of what you feel. If you like Vietcong, it shouldn't bother you what anyone else says about it. One of my favourite games of recent times has been Ape Escape 2 - which not many critics got excited about.
Thu 15/05/03 at 17:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Of course I'm not.
Why bother to ask that?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.