GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola email problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/06/10 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
I thought a staffie may have started a post to explain things...

I had just started to receive a few emails after this afternoon's email problems and thought I would soon catch up with things.

Disappointed to find that you have now 'blocked' all email access to resolve your issues.

I wonder how many normal users will manage to find your Service Status page?

Can someone possibly expand on "...retry later on in the evening" ?

Can someone also say what will happen to emails in the system and new emails sent to Freeola accounts.

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/06/10 at 22:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
LukeM wrote:
> Spam is such a hard thing though Hmmm, as much as we defend
> against it, it is impossible to stop 100% of it. Sure discussing
> it with our customers allows you guys to vent your annoyances,
> but there is still only one sensible way of dealing with it.
>
> We continually adapt our systems to be as spam proof as possible
> but there will always be imperfections. There will always be
> developments made by spammers that we can only play a game of
> catch up. And this is what we strive to do for you day in, day
> out, to give you the best possible protection that we can
> provide.

I know where you're coming from Hmmm, but Luke is right...at the end of the day, it's down to the user. You and I can fight 'tooth and nail' until we are 'blue in the face' with our clients but do they listen to our advice etc etc etc? I can only admire you for your persistence...with some of my clients I gave up long ago, but funnily enough they are still on board!

Well done Grommit....another cheese toasty would be nice :¬))
Tue 29/06/10 at 19:58
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Spam is such a hard thing though Hmmm, as much as we defend against it, it is impossible to stop 100% of it. Sure discussing it with our customers allows you guys to vent your annoyances, but there is still only one sensible way of dealing with it.

We continually adapt our systems to be as spam proof as possible but there will always be imperfections. There will always be developments made by spammers that we can only play a game of catch up. And this is what we strive to do for you day in, day out, to give you the best possible protection that we can provide.
Tue 29/06/10 at 19:34
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> One thing I know for sure? I hate spam! And I'm pretty sure I'm
> not the only one.

That's one of the reasons I'm often quick to try and start a discussion on SPAM to Freeola accounts.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/06/10 at 19:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Well done Grommit, we're up and running :¬))
Tue 29/06/10 at 19:21
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Eccles,
> I meant that I can still successfully write and send email to
> non-Freeola accounts (via SMTP), which some customers may not
> appreciate.

I guess there could be some clarity in defining the issue is with POP, and thus incoming, rather than outgoing which uses SMTP. But then again you might log into your mail client and see when you Send/Receive that your sends are successful.

One thing I know for sure? I hate spam! And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Tue 29/06/10 at 18:58
"Are you sure?"
Hi Eccles,
I meant that I can still successfully write and send email to non-Freeola accounts (via SMTP), which some customers may not appreciate.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/06/10 at 18:55
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hmmm... wrote:

> For any others reading it might be worth pointing out that even
> though the status message reads: "necessary to temporarily
> block access to the pop service" I'm finding I can still
> send email. It's just receiving that's unavailable.

Yes that is correct. The MX servers that receive incoming mail are still accepting it, although some are refusing new mail as they have a full queue. Under normal operation the MX servers then pass the mail to the POP3 server for delivery to inboxes. You then login to the POP3 server to collect this mail. Unfortunately someone has decided to spam us heavily, which meant the queue of mail waiting to be delivered was/is very big. You can't simply delete everything in the queue to clear things down, every email still has to be filtered to try and ensure it is legitimate.
Tue 29/06/10 at 18:45
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Hi Hmmm....same here, clients are beginning to wonder...all
> their accounts are failing :-(

Hi Dragonlance :¬)
The majority of my clients (and no doubt some others) won't even appreciate what a "pop service" is!

I'm sure everything will be back to normal soon.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/06/10 at 18:42
"Are you sure?"
Butch wrote:
> ... Most normal users will visit
> our homepage when they are
> having issues, seeing the Network Status message, and not these
> forums which is why we will not post any such messages here.

Hi Butch,
Thanks for that.
FYI When I visited the Freeola home page (and I checked a few times) the 'Network Status message' wasn't there.

It's hard to read 'tone' in written text. So please don't take my feedback the wrong way and i'll do the same ;¬)

While I'm typing this I'm looking at a "Passionate about Support" message in the left hand banners.

It just would have been refreshing and perhaps demonstrated some of this passion to read a message on Freeola's Services forum started by a staffie in this case. Especially as this complete 'blocking' of email to allow a catchup is a new feature.

For any others reading it might be worth pointing out that even though the status message reads: "necessary to temporarily block access to the pop service" I'm finding I can still send email. It's just receiving that's unavailable.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/06/10 at 18:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> I thought a staffie may have started a post to explain
> things...

>
>
> I had just started to receive a few emails after this
> afternoon's
> email
> problems
and thought I would soon catch up with things.
>
> Disappointed to find that you have now 'blocked' all email
> access to resolve your issues.
>
> I wonder how many normal users will manage to find your
> Service Status page?
>
> Can someone possibly expand on "...retry later on in the
> evening" ?
>
> Can someone also say what will happen to emails in the system
> and new emails sent to Freeola accounts.
>
> Thanks.
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]

Hi Hmmm....same here, clients are beginning to wonder...all their accounts are failing :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.