GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats better, GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 20:25
Regular
Okay, so nintendo have got serious competition when it comes to games consoles.
I personally think that the gamecube is better.
But I want to know if you prefer GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2.
Tell me:
1)What console you prefer
2)Why you prefer it
3)What games you would like to see released on the console.

I prefer the gamecube because it produces 405 MHZ, 6 million-12 million polygons / second, the discs are 8cm diameter and you can play with other people around the world.
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Edgy, Resident Evil Nemesis was Resi 3.

Sibs, that's kind of right. In fact, the GC will have no graphical leaps at all.
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:17
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
That's it Vector Units. The N64 had them too, which is why there was such a graphics jump (compare Mrio 64 to Zelda: OOT or Majora). GC won't have huge jumps in graphical ability but will slowly and steadily get better. PS2 will have very visible (compared to GC anyway) jumps in graphical capability. That is basically it isn't it?
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:08
Regular
According to NGC magazine (formerly N64 magazine) and GamesMaster magazine, Capcom are STILL making the Resident Evil series exclusive to GameCube.

Infact they've remade the original and called it Resident Evil Nemisis.

So I think it's safe to say that that series will be on the GameCube.....
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sibs, they are called VU1 and VU2 (Which stands for Vector Units). You're right, as developers progress they learn how to use them properly (or even use them at all) and there are ginat leaps in graphics.
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Resvilfan

You'd better hope GC is more popular then, or you'll have to buy a PS2 as well when (if) Capcom stop making GC resiEvil games. Unless u already have a PS2?
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Mushramusunta wrote:
> PS2 is easily better than the Gamecube, because PS2 has a dvd player already in
> the cost of £199.99 and it can hook up to the net (read the Tony hawks
> review) and who cares about the Gamecube discs being that small, u would
> probably end up loosing it!

Games i would like to see on PS2: Rollerblading
> games, Scooter games (joking), More platform games and more destruction driving
> games.

Games that will probably come out on Gamecube: Zelda, Mario, Conkers
> bad fur day (hopefully) and some crap hand-off N64 games and old crapy games
> from old consoles that havent seen the light of day for around 30years. only
> because Nintendo dont seem to have any new ideas and they only seem to copy
> every other games console company who come up with brilliant ideas, but i have
> to give them credit for conkers bad fur day and perfect dark because they just
> rule.

Now I'm getting Pi**ed at how misinformed some people are:

Nintendo are much more innovative than Sony! They invented the analogue stick as standard AND rumble features. What did Sony do? Copy it! What company made the 1st DECENT 3D platformer? NINTENDO! What has Sony done new for the PS2? Blo**y original name isn't it? The controller hasn't changes either has it? At least Nintendo are making an effort to create a better way to play games by always trying to improve their controllers. And what did you say about the only decent N64 games being Mario, Zelda, Conkers BFD and Perfect Dark? It just shows how misinformed you really are! There are tons of great games on N64. And who cares about the discs being small? Who cares that Sonys discs are bigger? And if you want to watch DVDs then fine get a PS2 but it is by no means the definitive GAMES PLAYING machine!

The GameCube has so many new and ORIGINAL games coming out for it as well as well known and loved Nintendo franchises, like Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, Wave Race, 1080 snowboarding (maybe), Starfox (dinosaur planet and there's bound to be a completely new shooter like Lylatwars too), Zelda, the Mario Sports series (Mario tennis, Golf, etc.)

Oh and Nintendo aren't original? Who put a whole new twist on the beat em up genre with Super Smash Bros.? Nintendo! Which company came up with the nurturing monsters concept? Nintendo with Pokemon, and it was blatently ripped off with Digimon and made as a PSX game. Yeah... so original. What company are developing a game that brings a whole new twist to the Real time strategy genre? Nintendo with Pikmin!

Oh and Conkers BFD is one of the most original platform games because Nintendo set a mould of 'cutesy' platform games, copied by the likes of Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and many others. Conkers BFD added swearing and adult humour and actually managed to pull it off which is no small feat.

Oh but credit is due. At least you realised that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are awesome games. PD is probably the best console shooter out there. *as people yell about Red Faction* ok that's also a PC game and I've heard people say they won it in about 5-6 hours on their 1st play though it so it loses out big time on lastability, while PD takes AGES to win on all difficulty settings.

Sorry to any Playstation or Sony fans who I have offended but it just really pi$$es me off when people who are totally misinformed say stuff like that. Especially that Nintendo isn't original when they practically set the standard for other developers in all their chosen genres!
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:13
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Bruiser wrote:
> Whats better, GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2?

That's what I want to know. I've been dying to get a Gamecube for ages, but yesterday was my first play of a PS2 and they are absolutely terrific!
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:10
Regular
"Back For Good"
SIBS> I thought someone would say that haha thats the only thing nintendo have going for them isn't it :-D

Ok here we go again
Resident Evil 4 started production for the PS2 I'm quoting from shinji mikami here "it took on a life of it's own" and became Devil May Cry, Shortly after that was completed Resident Evil 4 (umbrella rising) starting production again for the PS2, Mikami lost 2 programmers because of programming difficulties with the PS2 and it flopped.

He said the PS2 is a difficult machine to work with because Sony didn't provide anything to help them develop for it, With the PS1 they gave middleware etc but with the PS2 they had to make EVERYTHING from scratch which is very time consuming and expensive.

Capcom were already making RE:zero for the gamecube and decided to touch up everything and focus on the one console, Umbrella rising has completly changed and is not based around an umbrella agent and All 6 GC games are set to be out late 2002/early 2003. Then Capcom are free to do whatever they want, There are 2 resident evil games for the PS2 and with onimusha,devil may dry etc capcom will probably concentrate on the most popular console after the contract is done.

aaaaa, there you are then ;-)
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:00
PS2 is easily better than the Gamecube, because PS2 has a dvd player already in the cost of £199.99 and it can hook up to the net (read the Tony hawks review) and who cares about the Gamecube discs being that small, u would probably end up loosing it!

Games i would like to see on PS2: Rollerblading games, Scooter games (joking), More platform games and more destruction driving games.

Games that will probably come out on Gamecube: Zelda, Mario, Conkers bad fur day (hopefully) and some crap hand-off N64 games and old crapy games from old consoles that havent seen the light of day for around 30years. only because Nintendo dont seem to have any new ideas and they only seem to copy every other games console company who come up with brilliant ideas, but i have to give them credit for conkers bad fur day and perfect dark because they just rule.
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:58
Regular
"Back For Good"
I'm getting a GC so don't think I'm dissing it but people were spending so much time with the original playstation that alot of games looked better than the N64, same with the PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.