GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If gaming...... could kill!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/10/01 at 23:14
Regular
Ok, so we all know cigaretes kill us, yet we continue to smoke. Alcohol poisons you, yet thats why we drink it!?! Cars have been killing people for years, yet aside from a handful of soap dodging hippies, no-one seems to be taking any form of stand - let alone an active one. Mobile phones induce brain tumours and are possibly the most popular item of social dress out there (its true- give someone a choice between a pair of servicable shoes to replace the bags on their feet or a mobile and we've one more shoeless idiot impressing us with ringtones)!

Addiction is clearly responsible for parts of this, lazyness and ignorance also play large parts.

So my question is this; What would you do if it was found that gaming could cause you serious damage to your health? As it stands, gaming isn't particularly lethal at all. It's the runner up in the "what makes you keep your fat stupid bum on the sofa" games (top spot, of course going to the TV). Gaming has become socially acceptable (the industry has started making a lot of money), so its no longer considered a past time of geeks and thus you can play games AND have a girlfriend, which means the planet will stay safely populated. Providing you leave your house and exercise your eyes by looking at stuff, they should remain fairly undamaged by gaming.

Yep, I think its fair to say gaming is in a pretty good spot health wise. Complacency will soon set in and soon it'll be completely considered an as viable use of time as listening to Frank Sinatra or watching Eastenders.
Lets face it, for a lot of us here, its our primary source of entertainment, sod TV!

But what if it was announced tomorrow that "Gaming harms your unborn child! Gaming reduces your sperm count! Gaming causes blindness, tone deafness and occasionally mumps!"
How many of us would stop? Smoking can cause all of the above (except tone deafness) and yet millions of people completely disregard this, and fair enough.

Personally, I think gaming is too bigger part of my life to cut out. Ok, I wouldn't play games around the children, I'd try to cut down and I wouldn't play on handhelds or arcades (gaming in public). But I genuinely think that - whether addicted or not, I'm now just too stuck in my ways to give it up.

Luckily, as yet, this is not a reality we have to court. But the day may yet come.

Have a think about it. Could you just drop it? Hang up your pad, so to speak? Or would you, like me and all those smokers drinkers, drivers and mobile phone users - think to yourself "it won't happen to me" and then just get on with it and hope for the best?

Thanks for reading/ skimming through/ ignoring.

Its been a pleasure.

Tarrant
Thu 01/11/01 at 19:31
Woah, I could give up the internet tomorrow.
Music and gaming however, I'd have to take the side affects.
Thu 01/11/01 at 22:10
Regular
I'd rather die happy.
Fri 02/11/01 at 12:40
Exactly!
Fri 02/11/01 at 12:56
"possibly impossible"
Ways in which gaming could kill....

1. The tv could implode with too much use, causing sharp pieces of glass from the screen to impale themselves through your eyes and in to your brain while you sit there and say 'whoo, impressive explosion graphics'

2. Playing a very addictive game non stop, you forget to take the dog out for a walk or feed it for 3 days and it becomes so hungry that it eats you instead.

3. While playing and eating you get the two the wrong way around and choke on your controller as you try to pull it back out of your stomach via the cable.

4. Getting a CD stuck in the machine, you open the case up, forgetting to turn off the power. Reflecting off the surface of the CD, the laser is magnified and burns a nice little hole through your forehead.

5. After playing GTA3 full volume, the neighbours are convinced that you are part of a mafia ring, are a pimp and are planning to bomb cars and kill people. The special forces storm your house and kill you on site.

6. You play Superman on the N64 and commit suicide over the futility of it all.

7. You play Superman on the N64 and pay the game company a visit in order to put right the world's wrongs, but due to several previous attempts they are ready and waiting with a loaded shotgun.

8. You play Shenmue for 70 hours non-stop and then try to emulate the game environment by sleeping, eating and generally living each day in 30 minute intervals. As such, your body ages far faster than normal and you die of old age.

9. Someone comes round to your house and kills you because you've written a pointless list of ways gaming can kill you on ukchatforums.
Fri 02/11/01 at 12:59
I'm on my way :-)
Fri 02/11/01 at 13:01
Gaming can easily kill you just play:

The electric chair game in arcades over and over again then play.....

police 24/7 for about an hour then straight after the evil one.......

DANCING STAGE EUROMIX for about an hour.

if that hasn't killed you go on that big twirling flight sim in black pool

Best way kill your self
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
If Gaming could kill, baby, I wouldnt want to be alive!
Fri 02/11/01 at 16:22
Regular
if it weren't for this topic i would probably have won GAD with my football topic.....ah, well. Congratulations on winning AGAIN, Tarrant.
Fri 02/11/01 at 16:59
Regular
Nice one Tarrant!

I really should stop giving you my ideas and keep some for myself....
Fri 02/11/01 at 17:04
Regular
yeah....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.